1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[UO Herald] The Shard of the Dead

Discussion in 'UHall' started by UO News, Oct 19, 2012.

1. UO News

UO News RSS Feed
    RSS Feed Stratics Veteran

From the Devs
    2012 Oct 19 18:06 GMT
    TC1 will become The Shard of the Dead till November 1st starting today. Hope everyone has a Spooky Halloween!!

We are proud to announce our annual Shard of the Dead. Dungeon Shame is once again your battleground for spilling your enemy’s blood. Here’s how it works:

You must create a character on the Shard of the Dead. You will arrive without any items, money, or pets on a platform where you must choose to join a team. Enter either the Slasher Gate or the Exodus Gate, and you will be transported to a safe haven for your team. Here, you must obtain some gear and supplies, in order to prepare to enter the Infernal Battlegrounds.
    Lucky for you, the dungeon floors are literally strewn with powerful magic items. All you have to do is survive long enough to grab some and put them on.

Once you accumulate enough to fight the monsters in the dungeon, you will find they drop still more powerful loot, along with gold and items that allow you to summon strong pets.

Be careful, though! All your equipment is cursed. If you die, you must start naked again in your team’s base. You are granted one blessed item at a time but must remove curse from items using the “Cleanse Cursed Item Deed” which is a battleground reward. If you can gather a group of friends, have a go at the Disciple of Lucifer. He’s extremely tough, but his loot is very worthwhile.

Every few minutes, a gate in each team’s base will open, taking all who dare to go to the Infernal Battlegrounds. Here, team Slasher and team Exodus engage in a struggle to capture each others’ bases, and to hunt down and slay The Butcher. Fighting in these battles offers opportunities for still greater rewards, including the Supreem Headless Bomb and the Flask of Invulnerability, along with your pick of the cursed items picked from the corpses of your slain enemies.

Scoreboards in each team’s base show battle records and players’ mouse over tooltips show their PvP stats.

So once again come on down to Shard of the Dead and join us in the slaughterfest!

Continue reading...

Fogsbane, Syrus, BigEv and 1 other person like this.
  2. ShadowTrauma

ShadowTrauma Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Sounds really interesting, look forward to seeing how this plays out.

3. Goodmann

Goodmann Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

why can't this be a halloween event on normal shards for 4 weeks! seems like a lot of time and effort went into a test shard event

#3 Goodmann, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  4. ShadowTrauma

In the past it has been said that the Shard of the dead has been used to "test" unusual ideas for potential benefits, so I definately recommend people at the very least giving it a try.

5. Bazer

Bazer Slightly Crazed
    Premium Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Stratics Legend

wow, this gana be fun again :)

6. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

7. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

It's pretty cool actually....

8. aoLOLita

aoLOLita Sage
    Stratics Veteran

:::: You are granted one blessed item at a time but must remove curse from items using the “Cleanse Cursed Item Deed” :::

Oh, yeah:) I'd like to see this deed make it into the mainstream game!

9. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

it is on siege

10. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator

anyone figured how to get to 120 skill or am i missing something? and is it just me garg stuff is not real common? especially throwing items

11. ShadowTrauma

When you guys and gals get a chance between all the fun, pop in here and let us know what you think so far. Tell us the good, the bad, and if you have any suggestions, it would be a real interesting read.

Edit: Maybe even use that free video maker Zosimus posted. :thumbsup:

#11 ShadowTrauma, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  12. Alexander of ATL.

Alexander of ATL. Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
    Stratics Veteran

Well I'm not trying to be the downer on this..
    But i was working on a cool house design on TC1 for my house on Atlantic. (I like to test stuff on test center before i do it on any real shard).
    Well if i knew ahead of time I would have taken pictures or something to save my work. The house looked AWESOME and the deco i put into it looked AWESOME.

Cutting to the chase... here is my question. Will the old TC1 be restored?

I put all that work into it and can't remember half of what I did and the house looked epic :(

Other than that small problem, i can't wait to try the Shard of the Dead.

13. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I tried it and I found that if you are a gargoyle it really bites... I had a heck of a time finding me enough armor or weapons most armor told me I wasn't strong enough to equip it. And I never did find a throwing weapon.

ShadowTrauma likes this.
  14. Symma

Symma Certifiable

Any chance the shard can be renamed from TC1? Alot of people might not notice it.

ShadowTrauma likes this.
  15. Tangled Metal

Tangled Metal Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I was going to go on to TC1 to test some reforging. Guess I have to wait until the event is over. :(

16. Slickjack

Slickjack Rares Fest Host | Cats Nov 2010
    Stratics Veteran

One cool thing I got last night was a deed for a "Halloween Pet"... when I clicked it, a Dread Spider spawned and was fully controllable as if it were a tamable... I had so much stuff I was fighting I didn't notice that he had either disappeared (like he was on a timer) or he died and his corpse disappeared... dunno..

I am having a blast! Lots of fun...

I did not notice a lack of gargoyle items though, I think you guys need to try to get deeper into the dungeon and see more loot falling.
    My strategy was to make a stealther in wolf form and get all of my stats and armor, then point those skills down and re-do the template once I have a stock of good armor in the bank.

It is quite easy to re-do the template on the fly.

Also, for those that didn't get this trick, to get a horse:

Grab a few bags of reagents and a mage spellbook.
    Cast Protection a few times to get your magery to GM.
    Cast Summon Creature until you get a horse (simply release non-horse creatures thru context menu).
    The horse will last (Magery x 4 ) seconds, until it disappears, so keep GM Magery on your template so you can have a mount.

:thumbup:

ShadowTrauma likes this.
  17. Bleak

Bleak UO Software Engineer
    VIP Stratics Veteran

Powerscrolls are rewarded from battleground matches and the loot drop tables have been updated to drop more gargoyle items.

Bazer likes this.
  18. Bleak

Bleak UO Software Engineer
    VIP Stratics Veteran

I will see what I can do ;).

19. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator

Thanks for the info and update

Bazer likes this.
  20. ShadowTrauma

Agreed, always a pleasure to hear from you Bleak and thanks for the quick updates.
    A big thanks to Slickjack as well for some great feedback and helpful tips.

Please keep us informed on your experiences, I'm really enjoying reading about them while not able to hop in and join you folks. I hope you all continue to have fun.

21. Viquire

Viquire Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Mmmmmm kay. I just pulled my head out of my butt, and found this. Lots of fun, great time for casual player, did not make it to the boss yet, but have put that on my "to do" for the weekend.
    Playing with only "found loot" takes me back quite a ways, even if that found loot is Godly compared to what we used to use.

Make a couple of friends while hunting and have a good time. Highly recommended. And I have only just scratched the surface.

ShadowTrauma likes this.
  22. vexyvixen

vexyvixen Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I haven't seen Supreem on the Shard of the Dead yet. Will he be showing up this year? Last year he talked and played with us a lot. It was a lot of fun. I saw Bleak a couple of times, but not sure if he talked to anyone or not... plus he was PURPLE... *pssst* *whispers* You're supposed to be black. :)

#22 vexyvixen, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  23. Cetric

Cetric Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

holy crap, i just put two and two together who bleak was, and realized i was smack talking him to no end... now i know why he wasnt responding in the typical vulgar manner.... sorry bleak, i was just trying to coax people into the battle grounds. I kept having to flip flop sides to actually fight people sicne eventually the numbers just got all too one sided.

Sorry Bleak! - XaVieR KaNe, rofl

#23 Cetric, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  24. Orgional Farimir

Orgional Farimir Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

So you are saying you are on a 48 HR ban right now LOL

25. Berethrain

Berethrain Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Can you fix the ornaments and the crystalline rings so theyre not faction items? Also, can we get a horse breeder?

26. vexyvixen

vexyvixen Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Ahhhh, a horse breeder would be very nice.