1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[UO Herald] UO named one of the "Most Revolutionary Videogames of All Time"

Discussion in 'UHall' started by UO News, Dec 8, 2009.

1. UO News

UO News RSS Feed
    RSS Feed Stratics Veteran

Ultima Online had the honor today of being named one of "The Most Revolutionary Videogames of All Time" by Forbes.com.

As many of you know UO was the one to unveil the joy, excitement, and adventure of MMO's to the world and we're proud that it continues to carry on this tradition with a vibrant and active community today over a decade later.

From Forbes.com:

"Fans of role-playing games remember fondly the Ultima series, which dates back to the original "Ultima I" from 1980. But when Electronic Arts took Lord British's empire online in 1997, it changed gaming forever."

So join us in celebrating and thank you to those of you who continue to make UO what it is today whether you've been with us from the start or just getting started. We look forward to many more years with you!

Source: http://www.forbes.com/2009/12/07/video-games-wii-technology-revolutionaries-09-games_slide_11.html

More...

2. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

wow and it took them all this time to figure it out ;-) congrats UO the best mmorpg game ever !

3. Llwyd

Llwyd Guest

That kind of recognition is a great thing. :)

4. Assia Penryn

Assia Penryn The Sleeping Dragon
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

*cheers* Fantastic news for UO!

5. Mapper

Mapper Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Well done UO! You deserve it.

6. Kaleb

Kaleb Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

That can mean a lot of Future great things, Great Job UO, Though we all here know UO is the best anyway.

7. jbfortune

jbfortune Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

That article is 5 months old isn't it?

Seems a bit strange to post it now

8. Cadderly

Cadderly Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Really this article is five months old!!! lol Congradulations UO on this wonderfull accomplishment, btw you, you, and you are fired.

9. jbfortune

Stratics Veteran

Nah, I was wrong. Crazy american date system! Damn us English.

10. Amren

Amren Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

yup. in 1997 it was the best game going. All that changed in 2000 when Renaissance was released, thus making the best game ever pretty horrible.

11. jbfortune

Stratics Veteran

Yet 9 years later you still post on a UO message board? I've never really understood why so many people complain about the game and say its become rubbish but still pay to play it.

12. Green Mouser

Green Mouser Guest

Great! (Sarcasm) Now with this recognition, subscriptions will go up and property values will go up again.

******Crawls back to a very quiet corner of his somewhat quiet Shard****** :)

13. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

Regardless what we may think about the changes made to the game, what playstyle/era we prefer, what client we use, what shard ruleset is better, the blurb is correct. UO in effect made the MMOG genre (much the same way Magic the Gathering made the CCG genre of games) and for that, it belongs in the list of revolutionary games.

14. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

well said! and that's what the article was stating!

15. Otis Firefly

Otis Firefly Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

lmfao!, just spit coffee everywhere from this....and that sums uo EA Mythic! lmfao..congratz on a job well done..now get out and dont say a word about it on the way out

16. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

Np. ;)

17. Pazuzu

Pazuzu Guest

Never have truer words been said. The MMO revolution changed gaming for sure. :)

18. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

UO has a proud heritage. Based upon tradition and innovation. Some innovations were better than others. *winks*

*tips hat* A well deserved accolade.

19. gunneroforgin

gunneroforgin Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I beg to differ with you, had Renaissance had NOT come out I would not be playing UO today! Long Live UO!

20. Kirthag

Kirthag Former Stratics Publisher
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

WHOOHOOO!!!!

I bet my sister is gnashing nails in her CoH... muwaaahaaahaaa!!!

As my siggy states... Always Ultima Forever!

Congrats to EVERYONE who made UO what it is... from RG to the Mythic team and all of us players...

This is awesome news - really.

silently hopes EA will rehire those they laid off recently for the #1 MMO to move forward and keep the honor for years to come

21. Kirthag

Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

22. Aroma

Aroma Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Yeah but still no advertising for uo duh what and idiot company. Celebrate a magazine article that no one reads instead of advertising our game more.

23. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Anyone else find it funny that the screencap used appears to be the infamous killing of Lord British by a player?

24. they probably yoinked it from wikipedia.

shows you how in depth their research is.

25. Lord Gareth

Lord Gareth UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
    Reporter Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran

.... .. ...... ........! . .. .. ..... .. .. ....... ...... ......!
    . ..... .... .. ..... .. ....... ... ....! .... .... ...... ... .....!
    . .... ....... .. ....... ... .. .... .. ... .... .. .....!

[​IMG]

26. Heheh, hahah.....Origin, "We Make Worlds", took UO online in 97.
    EA bought em out later.

Forbes...........do your homework!:gee:

27. popps

popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Now, if only we could get after years a Ultima Online box back on stores' shelves to gain more brand new players, it would be great......

Recently a poll here on Stratics showed that most players (at least those participating to the poll) are not in their teens any longer and I have a feeling that it is mostly people who have been playing the game for years now or return to it after having been years away but have already played it in the past.

Brand new players would help the game in many ways starting with the economy to bringing their enthusiasm of seeing a brand new game the first time.

Question is, how can the game be made more attractive and appealing to those who have never ever played it yet ?

28. Sneaky Que

Sneaky Que Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Actually no... EA bought Origin in 1992. 5 long years before UO.

29. Sneaky Que

Sneaky Que Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

That may be so, but UO started it's legacy without Trammel, and was hugely successful without it. There are tens, no probably hundreds of thousands of people who are the exact opposite of you. When Ren came out they stopped playing UO.

....regardless, even with some of the huge stuff ups UO has encountered over its life, it still remains the number one game of all time, for me anyway. It is kinda scary that even though it is soooo good, it could be (and was) sooo much better. Long live Britannia!

30. Amren

Amren Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Do I play it? No. Unless you consider 2-3 hours a WEEK "playing" it. I am more or less waiting for the most opportune time to sell my castle and large tower for real cash. I realized that having experienced everything in the SA expansion in 2-3 weeks (with 3 friends), there are no challenges left for me (or my friends) here.

31. Picus at the office

Picus at the office Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

The thing that alot of us forget to factor in was the other games that were coming out at the same time as Ren. EQ and the carebear don't PK me option and a different look took thousands of players off the servers. Many players were tired of dying to the hands of others and sadly never tried to PvP hence the mass migration to Tram and other formats that could provide a safer playing area.

Those factors alone spelled a massive death blow to the servers and over the years its been more modern tech advances that almost insure that those in thier teens and 20's wouldn't try UO unless someone showed the depth and better sandbox format that UO can provide.

Lack of front line sales options, next to impossible advertising budget to work with and limit outside word of new events/expansions are the biggest issues in releation to other current games.

That said all in all UO and the current player base should be very happy with the history and lets all hope that we can continue for the next 20 years.

32. Yes, it is much more challenging to jump around as a nelf (flip, flip, flip) fighting for the pixel crack of WoW when it is all the same items with different skins. Just remember, hell is repetition, and WoW is repetitive in all aspects...so you do the math.

And congrats UO!

33. Release of Renaissance was what brought me to the game, a birthday gift in 1999. Been here ever since. To me the game keeps getting better, except for this 3d stuff and that weird interface it has. Do you remember the birth of 3rd Dawn, I hated that I had to change to 3d to travel to Ilsh, and could not recall out Tram, I am so glad they did not try that trick with the SA exp, making it a requirement to be in that new 3d to travel there. Congrats to UO !

34. Risso

Risso Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Yeah...think you're a 'few' years too late for the opportune time...

35. Thats what makes the game so great. So many people hate it that they have to play it to remind them how much they hate it. So they can find new things to complain about to demonstrate how much they hate it.

It genius really in the DEVS.

36. jbfortune

Stratics Veteran

37. Kirthag

hehe!

glad to be of service. ^.^

38. SLACK

SLACK Guest

Kick ass and well deserved indeed!:pint:
    UO has spawned some of the best and notorious trolls to date and shall
    (hopefully) produce many, many more!:thumbsup:
    It was my first and (hopefully) last MMORPG and I give a big SLACKTARD
    salute to all of the folks keeping us going and the few I've met that are still
    around (I'm looking at you Draconi, don't ever forget our time together at
    Dave & Busters in Austin......what .......you forgot? What a surprise....you slut!):twak:
    Anywho...UO.. me love you long time!!!!:grouphug:

39. Viquire

Viquire Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

lol, qft, the game you love to hate since 97. :))

40. the 4th man

the 4th man Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

You have to remember, just because a certain % of players enjoy the game one way, another % don't. Without concrete facts to back up the numbers, alot of statements are just opinions.

I chose to play trammel a majority of the time. I don't need the hassle of being bothered when it can be inconvenient at times. I can interact when I want to.......UO has a uniqueness no other game can touch.

Also, a vast sum of players don't even post here, or read stratics. Meaning, Stratics opinions can't represent the community as a whole.

merry christmas, and later

41. Sebrina

Sebrina Guest

*Wink* I've read most of the comments here, but everyone must admit that no other game producer/maker has gone into space like Richard Garriott, paying his own way to the International Space Station.

Live Long and Prosper UO, and you too "Lord British" !!!

Garriott picked up where Gary Gygax left off on AD&D, and it was the ticket for all future fantasy games. *Thumbs UP* *Big Hurrah for the Gs*