1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

UO Herald vs Facebook - Another FAIL

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Martyna Zmuir, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

Currently (as of 7:48pm EST 2/8/11), the second story down on the UO Facebook page is a human interest story that SHOULD HAVE BEEN POSTED TO THE UO HERALD!

Apparently, the Dev Team honored a Europa player named Hollie for her real 83rd birthday as the oldest player in UO. (Congrats!)

Did they post this to the Herald? No. Why? I want to know. Things like this should be shared with everyone, as it paints UO in a positive light. Heck, it paints the DEV TEAM in a positive light, something they desperately need right now.

James, time for you to step up and explain why some things ONLY go on the Facebook page instead of everything on the Herald and crosposted to Facebook.

2. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I agree. It wouldn't matter as much, or if at all!, if this was a bloated and over-populated game with millions of potential human interest stories floating around out there, and space on the game's front page just had to be saved for vital, game-wide announcements! If that were the case I'd totally understand saving some things for Facebook and some things for the main page.

Not only is this a smaller, if still rather profitable and vital, game than, say, WoW, but it's furthermore a game where small-scale human interest stories are an important part of its culture and history.

-Galen's player

3. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Agreed! I personally HATE Facebook and refuse to use it and I know I'm not alone.

4. GalenKnighthawke

Stratics Veteran

It is a great story and players like that are part of what gives UO its unique character.

We've always had more females and more older players than is typical for an MMO, even when there wasn't as much to define what "typical" was.

Congratulations to that player, congratulations to the team for recognizing her....What all 3 of us are saying is...."You did a good thing, why not tell more people than the game's Facebook friends?"

-Galen's player

5. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron PITMUCK

It absolutely should have been spotlighted in the UO Herald... 83 years old and enjoying UO. That's beautiful. It wouldn't hurt if EA considered giving stories like this some decent publicity. A possible influx of retiring baby-boomers would not be a bad thing!

6. AesSedai

AesSedai Guest

- Aye, 'tis bothersome...
    I do not like Facebook Zombies. Nay, not much 't all.

Aye, do like: UO

7. Kojak

Kojak Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

you can read their facebook page without "using" facebook - it's just another bookmark - I don't like facebook either but at least you can read their facebook page without being part of facebook at all or else I wouldn't read it

8. Mapper

Mapper Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Same here, And I won't start using it just because UO are.

9. popps

popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I do not use Facebook and do not plan to use it.

I think that all relevant news about Ultima Online should always be on UOHerald.

10. Ezekiel Zane

Ezekiel Zane Grand Inquisitor

Ditto!

"Facebook Zombies" I love it

11. Martyna Zmuir

It's not that we won't read it necessarily, obviously I went there.. Its the fact that nice stories like this should be on the UO Herald.

Why have two sources of different UO news from the same company? The Herald, in one form or another, has been around for 13 years. Facebook is a flash in the pan fad, it will fade just like MySpace has.

To me, this is just another communication failure in a looooooong string of such. Stories like this hilight the UO community and make for awesome 'free' publicity.

Put the UO Herald first, Facebook last.

12. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos Always Present
    Stratics Veteran

I really don't think this news story should have been put on the herald. The Herald is for announcement, ingame news, patch news and such...not for player fluff stories, that is what facebook is perfect for.

I would hardly call Facebook a fad, when 100+ million users use it and its been alive and well for many years.

13. Obsidian

Obsidian UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

I agree with this sentiment. I think the herald should have patch notes, server status, and special in-game announcements. I think the Facebook love vs hate is a personal opinion. I personally don't consider it as a failure for EA to use this means to discuss UO.

-OBSIDIAN-

14. Merion

Merion Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Everything should be on the Herald.

And even the herald ist not the best place - everything should be on the f***ing patch screen.

All other online games I know of use the patch screen to get infos to their players. Because that is what every player sees, when he logs into the game.

Using facebook is alright, because it is expected these days, but that's no excuse for not using the main informations platforms.

15. Lord Chaos

Stratics Veteran

The patch screen doesn't even work in Windows 7 64 Bit :(

Something they've never fixed.

But no, not every fluff thing should be in the herald. It would simply spam away the more important news.

16. grig_since98

grig_since98 Guest

I use facebook, and I have no problem with a UO facebook page. In fact, in and of itself I think its a great idea. However, I agree that the herald shouldn't be neglected. The herald is what people are going to be directed to when they're told about UO.

I don't think this is a piece of "fluff". This type of story is what UO is about. UO is not just a game, it is people's life stories. I've seen people meet and get married, I've heard people talk about births, and I've seen people die. UO doesn't have a real "demographic". That is the beauty of it. From a coarse advertising point of view, this is one of the stories they should use to illustrate how everyone is welcome in this game.

17. Prime.

Prime. Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Ehhh. Someone in uo turning 84 isn't news. I'd rather it be on some fan page than the uo.com page. Uo.com is for news concerning uo. I think it was appropriately overlooked.

Uo.com listed the new patch today, that's news.

=)

Edit: After reading everyones posts, I realized I just repeated what Chaos said lol. Well, I agree with him then ;p

18. GalenKnighthawke

Stratics Veteran

As I stated above, it wouldn't matter as much, or if at all!, if this was a bloated and over-populated game with millions of potential human interest stories floating around out there, and space on the game's front page just had to be saved for vital, game-wide announcements! If that were the case I'd totally understand saving some things for Facebook and some things for the main page.

Not only is this a smaller, if still rather profitable and vital, game than, say, WoW, but it's furthermore a game where small-scale human interest stories are an important part of its culture and history.

-Galen's player

19. Cogniac

Cogniac Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

I find it rather ironic considering that UO's overall demographic is one of the least likely to have Facebook accounts.

20. grig_since98

grig_since98 Guest

What is UO's demographic?

21. Pfffft!

Didja mean LIKE
    News Archive | Mythic Entertainment | Ultima Online
    "Community News"?
    or should that be(since she gotta "cake" inscribed "...From the UO team")
    News Archive | Mythic Entertainment | Ultima Online

tough call ...

[​IMG]

It ain't like Stratics has a PIC O DA WEEK or nothing ... *AHEM*

According to the alexa bot, UO's "demographic" is:
    Stratics.com Site Info
    Stratics appeals more to users who are under the age of 35; its audience also tends to consist of low-income, childless men browsing from home and school who have no postgraduate education.
    :lol: bottom of the Uhall page
    Currently Active Users 184 (61 members & 123 guests)

Facebook is a cliche of cliques ... A penultimate cliche ... but a cliche nonetheless ...
    Like the habit/tradition of wearing neckties - bow ties ... itsa "teme"

22. Dicimiie

Dicimiie Guest

I don't particularly care whether or not this was posted on UO Herald.

I would, however, find it absolutely hilarious if her favorite activity was PvP.

23. Raptor85

Raptor85 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

This here. Not to mention not having a facebook account i didn't even know EA/Mythic was posting UO updates there. If not for some players posting it on stratics after reading it on facebook I wouldn't know of this news, nor of the fact that the state of the game video is delayed. UO has an OFFICIAL news site...so why are they posting all stuff relevant to the game to facebook and not the herald???

24. [JD]

[JD] Guest

i wouldnt want this mixed in with patch notes or other important game related news either.. i wouldnt mind the herald having a fluff or "off topic" news section though

and lol at the incendiary topic name.. is that really necessary.. no wonder contact with us is so sporadic

25. Oaka

Oaka Guest

I think the birthday, player fluff, and other stuff should stay on facebook and stratics community news or whatever.

I personally do not care if someone turns 80 and think the uoherald/website is having enough issues as it is that they need to work on that relates to the game.

I have a facebook account....never considered adding uo lol.....never will.

26. Velvathos

Velvathos Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I disagree with this.. We have a great community in Ultima Online, we have MANY role-players, community builders and the devs should CATER towards though.. I remember we user to have "screenshots of the week, or day," fan wallpapers, UO spotlights..

ORIGIN - Ultima Online - Main

Let me know if you remember those.. What happened to stories like that? Not only that, they would cater towards role-players.. With stories like the Orcish guild, the Shadowclan..

ORIGIN - Ultima Online - Main

Now all the role-players are dead and gone, UO is just like another counterstrike, and the developers are the only ones who role-play..

Look at the "WoW" community section on their website..

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/community/

It's got.. FAN ART, fan wallpapers, Comics, CONTESTS(youtube, video contests), official FORUMS..

What do the developers of UO do to cater towards us? I mean, we're the ones paying $15 a month to play this game, we want them to cater towards the community, and the official website is the best place to do it.. We ARE their costumers, and customer, I mean... Community service, comes first...

27. Lord Chaos

Stratics Veteran

And you don't think they checked the numbers and saw if they were truly used so much?

All those things fansites can easily handle...the relatively small UO team has enough to battle with, instead of trying to give minority fluff.

And you guys are free to continue those stories or get some from the EMs (who have sites too). You don't know how many read those stories...maybe they saw the numbers and they really weren't all that great.

And 150 times more subscribers...so your point is moot.

They just gave you a whole fishing and high seas adventure expansion to roleplay in...you have EMs on most shards who are active and you get facebook fluff updates...its really not the UO Teams fault that you refuse to use it.

28. Ox AO

Ox AO Grand Poobah

It was made by a kid that wanted to get back at his ex-g/f

There are so many security issues with facebook I am shocked it has gotten as big as it did.

29. MalagAste

Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Exactly. I have ZERO desire to allow ANYONE that far into my life besides a spouse. NO one needs to know what the heck I do with my time..... I don't want to be invited to anyones stinking facebook...... and i have as much desire to get caughtup in "Farmville" as I have in having a lobotomy....

I don't give one Rats toot about my XHighSchool classmates either... I freaking hated that POS school and I equally hated the clicky wenches that went there with me the last thing I want to do is find out about their craptastic lives. If I gave one rats toot about that stuff I'd have attended the one and only class reunion my class has had.

Really honestly there is almost no one from my past that doesn't either know how to reach me if they REALLY wanted to..... or that I care to hear from.

And I have no desire to use the website or subscribe to it..... I don't want to go there for any reason at all.... I'd prefer to get my news about UO HERE or on the OFFICIAL website .... the Herald.

I also don't care about WoW.... if I did I'd be playing it rather than being here.

And as far as I'm concerned those who use sites like Facebook may as well put a big ass target on themselves and say OOOoo here i am STALK me!

30. Lord Chaos

Stratics Veteran

Noone can see what you do with your time just by you having a facebook account. You have to actually put things on there and share them with people for this to happen...but if you do that, then its your own fault.

If you don't want to use the medium for obtaining UO information...then its no different than people who doesn't want to use UOHerald at all...its your loss.

31. Gheed

Gheed Certifiable

Whats that grid laid out around the keep? That an app? How do I do that?

32. Martyna Zmuir

ALL STORIES POSTED TO FACEBOOK SHOULD BE ON THE UO HERALD.

NO EXCEPTIONS.

Is that clear enough? We need "fluff" stories like this to keep up some form of morale for the game. Mythic doesn't put out enough "important news" to even make the Herald look relevant. Hell, the EM sites should be linked off the Herald as well. Why aren't they? People keep saying that they don't know what the EMs on their shard do... Having them be EASILY accessible would be a good start.

The UO Facebook account isn't a 'fan site,' I'd run by Mythic not a random fanboi. This makes it "official." The Herald is official too, and far more important to properly maintain.

At one time, MySpace had an obscene # of users. Facebook will eventually devolve when the next fad social networking site appears.

I'm sure the Golden Brew Players on Baja would like more people than just the Facebook geeks to know about their play and would be thrilled to have it posted on the Herald. (Yet another FAIL by James)

33. Lady Lava

Lady Lava UO Senior News Reporter
    Alumni Stratics Legend

I am a huge FB fan and go there several times a day. I have been very careful whom I choose as friends, none are high school friends nor people I do not know well.

For me UO is a creative outlet and so is FB. I enjoy posting art there, videos I create , photographs I take, ect. I do not post things like what I just ate, who I just had sex with or my latest bowel movement as some people do ( none of my friends do either ).

UO and FB are kept seperate for me as UO and my RL are.
    I would never go to a UO fan based site on FB. That is what the Herald and Stratics are for. :)

34. Lady Lava

Lady Lava UO Senior News Reporter
    Alumni Stratics Legend

I highly support fluff stories !

35. Martyna Zmuir

One other thing that I should have put in my last post...

UO players try to make this game a living, breathing world. Having the Herald be antiseptic to the point of just having shard issues/maintenance/upgrades, the RARE message from Cal *coughs*, and the perennially suspect (and rare) metafiction makes UO look VERY boring.

It's ironic, on the UO Facebook page it has a link to the Herald for the "Latest News & Information" Why direct people there when the FB page has more?

Then, should someone in FB become curious and consider trying UO, they find that the Herald has just the boring news, nothing exciting showing that players are excited about UO...or even that the Dev Team interacts with them (such as the party).

A 13yo game needs to show that it's players are excited and that they care about community.

36. RawHeadRex

RawHeadRex Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

bunch of jaded f's... and nobody forces you to join that horrible farmvile for f's sake.
    God bless that 83 year old lady.

37. Chalce

Chalce Guest

I had an account on facebook, but I dropped it when they started showing everyone what web sites I was visiting. There wasn't anything bad there, it was just my privacy wasn't being respected.

After they stopped doing that, I still didn't go back for 2 reasons.
    1) I understand now how they intend to spy on me and sell or use that information to make money.
    2) Everybody I knew using Facebook hardly ever used it. They had a page, but that was as far as it went. Those numbers they promote as if it's part of everyone's lives are misleading that way.

38. AesSedai

AesSedai Guest

- Well said many of ya'll (OP n Lady Lava, etc.)

I really don't understand why more attention is not paid to the official website for UO. With just a little bit of programming it would be quite simple to post to multiple locations at once (like less time than accessing a few spots at once and doing some archaic copy and paste) and I really don't understand why the braintrust at EA has not proactively done many simple things like this that could lessen resource requirements and hedge their chances for increased income with less effort. I really don't understand why EA seems to focus on only one mmo-pony at a time.
    There are a many things that I really don't understand about EA's stockholder-minded logic.
    Granted I'm not privy to what happens behind the wizard's curtain; but I long-suspect this company could do so much better and waste so much less if it collectively worked together a bit more, if it didn't seem to rule with fear, and it allowed some of the genius they surely employ to actually apply that intelligence rather than waste it on the mundane and multitasking (due to the decent support that is frankly required in order to keep running a multi-million dollar per year generating entity). Yeah so I'm just ranting about EA corporate again and perhaps should've just used the words 'professionalism and dismay' and allowed others to play connect the dots. Oh I thought of another word regarding how I feel UO has been treated by EA more often lately. It is 'disgraceful'. And logic tells me that our story (and others) will impact EA's future MMO offerings; if only as a historic reminder, although I strongly feel past and present UOers have already negatively impacted EA as a result of how we've perceived their handling of UO.. and that does not seem to be too good for EA.
    Yes, all of these thoughts come to mind from reading this thread about community relevant FB posts (and probably the twitter tweets too) not ever making it to uo.com, even though I have been mulling the history of ERTS lately.

39. Heh! and up pops AesSedai, like a precognizant Devil, summoned by an unspoken thought ...
    Just rescanned the interwebs ... to be sure that Cotten and Keating ARE different people ...
    Soft riddles today my friends ....

wow ... My granddaughter may have out deduced y'all ...

She asked me to ref her "deterministic grid" ... Why is UO basically "stiffing" its old friend Stratics ...
    heh!
    Could be cause "things have changed"
    Bioware has "hosted forums" BioWare Forums: Forum Index
    Mythic has ...Mythic Entertainment | Warhammer Online
    UO (as previously discussed) handed the EA forums over to stratics ... when it was a "Fansite" (Den)

Uo got adopted by mythic(foster childed?)
    Mythic got merged into the bioware borg of EAs creation

Den >sold< Stratics to Jhall ... who sold it to TGN

Facebook is FREE ... yes? (pretty much so dear)
    and IRC ... for the HOC ... no advertising IN the "free chat?"
    ... yes ... as far as I can see ...
    Who would "pay" for the IRC bandwidth? ...
    erm ... kinda a side bene, but >I suppose< stratics advertising revenue ... unsure.

okay ... does EAcorp ... have forums?
    errrr ... kinda sorta ...EA Video Game Forum: EA Forums ... oh wow!
    I see where you are going dear ...

Well done.

40. Lord Chaos

Stratics Veteran

Incorrect. JHall took over management of Stratics, but never owned Stratics. Den sold Stratics to TGN.

41. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

True, but since that information was never made public, Fayled can be excused for getting it wrong. Jhall's owner/manager status wasn't even made clear to staff until after the TGN sale.

42. Lord Chaos

Stratics Veteran

True, it was something that was surrounded with a lot of mystery...some of us knew it from the get-go, but it wasn't many.

Though I believe its ok to correct Fayhled, as he prides himself in being right all the time, hehehe.

43. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Too bad he's wrong half the time, and unintelligible the other half...

44. Martyna Zmuir

Wait.. He's only unintelligible half the time? Do you have a Fayled to English translator you're hiding? Share with the rest of the class!

45. Thank you Petra, indeed I do enjoy getting the facts/truth, I can now with confidence edit My "history of stratics",
    Den >gave< JHall management status ... and then sold it to TGN.
    Stratics is an owned thing.
    (Polishes the GDs grid and conclusion)

*Tips hat* :danceb:

See: 2 Nov 2010 (Piece of data by GD)

46. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

You just have to read between the ellipses... ... ... ... ... ...

47. Martyna Zmuir

It all begins to blur together... And his frequent use of the dancing broccoli is far to distracting, like he's trying to mezmerize us :eyes: :drool:

48. Trebr Drab

Trebr Drab Guest

Yes. If you only see one Broccoli you have succumbed.

49. MalagAste

*stifles a laugh*

The broccoli is a lie!

Anyway on subject, I'm just saying I find Facebook to be a den of snakes... I loathe it with a passion I couldn't care less if they PAID people to come and use it I will NEVER EVER have a facebook account. I hate Facebook. It's another obsessive compulsion I refuse to be sucked into.... and I honestly think that it's a den of snakes and a great place for people to get the kind of information on you and your family that really should be private.

I also know that I am NOT alone. There are 100's of people out there just like me that wish to remain off Facebook... I don't want to visit ANYTHING there.

*Vows to live Facebook free*

50. Viquire

Viquire Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I just have to ask.

If you have never used it, how can you loathe it? If you have no experience with it what so ever, how can you have any opinion about it at all?

Den of snakes? What game are you playing again? Are we, as a community, not rife with scammers, dupers, scripters?

If you are into the online community thing, and here you are trying to make the best of the MM in MMORPG, then why are you so dead set against it?

There are simple rules for keeping your client and browser safe. Oddly enough, or not, they are pretty close to the same set of guidelines that keep your account information safe in UO.

I can understand the principle of having game information posted at the main page for the game. The apparent paradox of your thinking leaves me scratchin me head.