1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

(Question) UO on a Mac

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Leaf, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Leaf

Leaf Sage
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Does anyone play UO on a Mac? My laptop just died and I was thinking about getting a Mac...

2. Endal

Endal Journeyman

So far as I know you will need to run UO on a Windows Emulator to make it work. There was supposed to be a big release that made it so all Windows things worked on a Mac, but after it was released it seems to have been shelved like it's a dirty secret.

It's UO though... so an Emulator might work just fine.

3. Tazar

Tazar Guest

Test it before you buy with an install and trial account... I've heard some horror stories... but then - some people tell horror storied just cause it's Apple...

4. Zolom

Zolom Visitor

You should definitely be able to run UO under wine, although I think there might be a couple of glitches with Pinco's if you use it. Running it under a virtual machine should work well too as long as the Mac isn't very outdated.

5. yars

yars Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Run bootcamp, install windows,install UO, then if you want to switch OS just restart and hold options button to choose which OS you want,if you need to

6. Leaf

Leaf Sage
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Thank you all. I had really wanted to get a Mac this time but I think this would be way over my head trying to figure it all out. To bad there isn't a download set up to just work with a Mac.

7. domii

domii Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I run it on my Macbook Pro (Quad core i7) just fine. Almost no difference in speed than my Desktop PC.

I use VMWare Fusion with Windows 7. Very easy to install, takes 30 minutes as it is pretty much an automated install. And you end up with an icon on your dock. Click it and Windows 7 Boots up (either in a resizeable window or full screen). Don't have to configure anything (graphics/sound cards, internet, etc, it figures it all out on its own). And I run both UO clients classic & Enhanced, Ventrilo, Teamspeak, Automap, etc, all in there.

8. Leaf

Leaf Sage
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Geeze...I read this last night when I got back from Best Buy and just purchased a laptop. I have 15 days though if I don't like it and I am already NOT thrilled about Windows 8 and the whole touch screen. I may take it back and go with the Mac if it is that easy.

9. dupapa

dupapa Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

yeah microsoft didnt do to well with windows 8 design, im sure its great for tablets, but for the desktop/laptop user it does not feel natural,

have they at least re-instated the "start" button yet? (havent checked for a couple months)

its the main reason im sticking to 7 for now.

10. Leaf

Leaf Sage
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Not sure about the start button. I left it there last night so they could remove all the bloatware off and I'm picking it up tonight. I fooled around with it in the store and I wasn't impressed and wished they had a Windows 7 there; but then again, I am one of those people that just don't like change. If's it's not broke-don't fix it! Guess I'm getting old ;)

11. dupapa

dupapa Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

nah, i see that as stick to what you know, why change unless there is benefits, but with windows 8 i fail to see any :D

Leaf likes this.
  12. Coke & Son

Coke & Son Adventurer

I run UO on my mac book pro using a Windows 8 partition and it works fine.

Leaf likes this.
  13. SpyderBite

SpyderBite Sage
    Stratics Veteran VCS

UO ran fine on my 2012 13" MBP w/16gb RAM via Parallels or Bootcamp. It's not difficult to get a game originally designed in 1996 and bandaged up since to run on any VM.

Leaf likes this.
  14. Lyconis

Lyconis Sage
    Stratics Veteran

I run UO classic client through emulation via Virtualbox on Debian Linux.

For emulation:
    • If you run virtually you can use Parallels($$), Virtualbox(free) or VMWare(free). You will need an installation CD/DVD for Windows and license ($$).
    • The OS installation is easy, drivers should automatically or nearly automatically load for the Virtual Machine(VM).
    • Before the installation you will need to set the amount of CPU's. Windows Kernels are compiled to use the CPU's at install (You can't go from a single to dual without reinstalling. This was true for sure in Windows XP, I've assumed its the same in Windows 7 and 8).
    • You may have varying results with 3D rendering and DirectX if you use the 3D client (not sure).
    • Ventrillo, UO Assist, UO Automap, UO Cartographer, UO Mapper work dandy.
    • I'd recommend an i5 or i7 core as the i3's run the multi-cores virtually, similar to hyper threading.
    • If you think it runs slow set your process affinity, priority, or niceness for the VM to a higher level to compensate.
    You can also use Wine. Last I tried there were issues with using UO Assist and a mapping program, I haven't tried this in nearly a decade... Bootcamp for dual booting should also work fine, however I'm not a fan of dual booting. Dual booting will give you better resource allocation or speed.

15. A-tron

A-tron Adventurer

curious i use vm fusion to run cc i dl'ed ec but on startup i get a fatal error. could not load hardware renderder do you want to use software rendering blah blah blah.

16. Blade Runner

Blade Runner Visitor

I play UO on a Mac and I play it in two different ways.

1. Boot Camp
    2. Without restarting your computer into boot camp, you can run the game in Crossover if you install DX9 in the bottle.
    3. You can run CC on Parallels, but not EC.
    CC runs perfectly in the Crossover emulator, but EC (though runs) can tend to lag. I have only pvp'd a couple times in EC in Crossover.

Boot Camp is the most stable way to run the game, but it's a pain to have to restart.

#16 Blade Runner, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  17. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

You could just format the machine and install Windows 7.