1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

UO on Gamasutra

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Cal_Mythic, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Cal_Mythic

Cal_Mythic Guest

Hey all. This is an article I wrote two years ago ... near the time SA launched.
    It's finally made it public.

None of the thoughts have changed, but I've learned a lot more about the game, and find more respect for it every day.

I hope it delivers a message you will appreciate, particularly coming from someone coming to this legacy so late in life.

Best wishes,

Cal

Gamasutra: Calvin Crowner's Blog - For the Love of the Game. . .

2. LoL/Sonoma

LoL/Sonoma Guest

Awesome thanks for posting it. Maybe you should start a UO blog ... =)

... now get back to work! Who let you out of your cage?!

3. Cal_Mythic

Cal_Mythic Guest

*hangs his head and goes back to crunching metrics*

4. T-Hunt

T-Hunt Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Sweet post, and true after so many other games i have played Ultima Online is the one i keep comming back to.

Its like a school yard at launch time, so many things to do and so little time for most.
    I hope to see UO grow more in years to come.

See you all in the yard kids... have fun..

5. Ahuaeyjnkxs

Ahuaeyjnkxs stranger diamond

*sews a flame retardant suit for Cal* :p

6. LoL/Sonoma

LoL/Sonoma Guest

In all honestly a very good read. I think you have a career in writing when this whole video game fad finally dies out and we all go back to board games and pen and paper. Drop me a line and i'll hook you up with a job writing about trucks or construction equipment ... fun stuff! =)

7. Orgional Farimir

Orgional Farimir Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

If someone could find just a little bit of room in the marketing budget (HAHA) to post a banner to that blog on a few web pages, it would bring a bunch of new players in and old players back.

8. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

A good read, and I do appreciate it. :)

9. keel

keel Sage

Good read, thanks Cal. UO and FFXI are the only MMOs that I kept thinking about after I had left. Here I am, back again.

I just wish more people played :(

10. PsychoKinetic

PsychoKinetic Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

That was excellent Cal, thanks for sharing it.

11. RawHeadRex

RawHeadRex Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I always wondered about the perspective of a Dev vs. a Player who has played from early on.

Like ... Cal did you ever play the game and experience that thing that makes us all come back, or can you live vicariously through us to realize how we feel about it ?

12. NuSair

NuSair Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Pure awesomeness.

13. canary

canary Guest

My problem with his story is that Cal himself historically doesn't seem to quite 'get' or understand Ultima Online... and yet he writes something about it? Uh, okay.

14. Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Barter Town

Hm...

Why now and why not before?

15. Cal, I am so happy that you know how special UO is. I played other games, and they feel like clothing that is too small.

As for the flamers, you can have your doubts that Cal "gets it" as much as you do. That's fine. But isn't it cool that he wants to get it? He cares. That buys him some slack, at least from me.

16. Cardell

Cardell Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

pfft. You can't compare baseball and uo. Not to the current UO anyway. Sorry, major fail there dude.

In order to compare them, for every baseball field you would have to make a duplicate softball field next to it. Where baseball players were not allowed to run fast or throw hard. You would have a T at home plate so the suckies wouldn't feel sucky when they missed the pitch. There would be no leading off the bases, definitely no stealing (because thats griefing the pitcher), and all bats would have 50 SSI and HOMERUN +100. No one would win because every team runs around with 23435453455444490482390849023804832 punkte (and no one knows how to pronounce or even try to pronounce that number) and even if your score was lower you would lose absolutely nothing. Every player would use the same bat and almost identical uniforms. Oh yeah, and there would be no new players to break any kinds of barriers. Just different old players coming back long enough to be disappointed that it took no skill to play anymore.

If anything you can make some kind of correlation between the use of steroids in baseball and speedhacking and scripting in UO.

:yell:

17. canary

canary Guest

The article was written nearly two years ago. He has had more than enough time.

18. Metalstorm

Metalstorm Seasoned Veteran

That was a charming article Cal.
    Thank you for posting it :)

19. Hell's Ironworks

Hell's Ironworks Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Thats all very nice sir.
    But id be nice if , on the rare occasions you post on the forums, you could take the time to comment or answer some of the pertinent questions the players have about the game.

20. ChReuter

ChReuter Guest

Doesn't that depend on the reasons why "he wants to get it"? I mean, of course he wants to get it for reasons of his continued employment, that's to be expected, but if that is the only reason, well than... I just don't think it's all that "cool".

I haven't read the article yet, therefore I really shouldn't have replied at all yet. I've been very critical of Cal and in order to prevent myself becoming just another hater who attacks everything regardless of it's merit, I think I'll just shutup and read what obviously will be a huge load of BS! before forming an opinion and possibly posting it.

21. AesSedai

AesSedai Guest

- Aye, good article.

From it, you say:
    - Aye, do keep all of that in mind; hopefully there are enough resource allowances, to continue to perpetuate such boldness...---...

Yet it is a good article, especially if dated as proclaimed; and I'm sure it will intrigue many that have not been here since '97 (and I'm sure it will agree with many that have been here since '97).

- I have plenty more to say, and I will return; I just don't have enough time to point out more than this, now. I do hope the proper people were able to read this. And I do hope that this does not fall on deaf EArs, err, I mean the erts directors of our UO resurgent resources.

22. Orgional Farimir

Orgional Farimir Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

sure you can compair UO and baseball. I can't play UO with out drinking beer and I can't watch baseball with out drinking beer.

23. ChReuter

ChReuter Guest

CAL, READ THIS OR I'LL BEGIN SAYING MEAN THINGS IN EVERY THREAD YOU POST IN!

Ok still haven't read the article, but upon opening it I saw the photo of your grandfather in his old baseball uniform. My wife happened to be walking by and saw it and is very interested to know about the team as am I. While I'm english, my wife is a rotten yank and from maryland also, hence why the photo sparked her interest. We're currently living in maryland in fact and aside from my unhealthy obsession with real football, baseball has become my sport of choice. I know a fair bit about the general history of the negro leagues, but this team of your grandfathers interest me in particular being from maryland, so if you don't mind, I'd love to hear about them.

24. AesSedai

AesSedai Guest

- Speaking of a huge load...

Ya' might: try reading before responding. It is hard to respect such a response, after reading such an actual response.. if you care to accept constructive criticism.

(You probably should've just, as you say, "shut up and read," and thought, before being critical and replying. Yup)

25. Lord Essex

Lord Essex Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Bitter much?? :eek:

26. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

No, no, that part's fair. It was freezing cold and rainy all Spring long, then suddenly 90 today. Still can't figure our why folks live here.

Er, but about baseball . . .

27. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I gotta second that....

ChReuter: Just top talking and hold your comments until after you read it.

28. mjolnir131

mjolnir131 Guest

Ty cal it's good to know the person at the helm feels that way

29. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

It took two years because PR needed to go over it first.

:gee:

30. Ahuaeyjnkxs

Ahuaeyjnkxs stranger diamond

*does awesome patchwork on the tears*

glad to help... :bored:

edit : Ahem...

31. Nok

Nok Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Great stuff Cal. Nice to hear the back story about your grandfather, your curiosity of him, and how his love of the game translates to your life now & love of the game.

*bows respectfully*

P.S. Being a history and sports fan, your grandfather is a hero.

32. Lady Tia

Lady Tia Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Very nice article Cal. Thank you for sharing it with us!

33. LadyNico

LadyNico Always Present

34. popps

popps Always Present

Nice......good reading.

For me, even with its flaws, there simply is nothing like Ultima Online out there.

Sometimes I think of UO like a thing with a life of its own, a creature that evolves, gets better, grows up little by little......

35. retrorider

retrorider Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Damn nice article, Cal.

Thanks for posting the link for this.

36. Yalp

Yalp Guest

Sigh.. I miss Five on Fridays..

(I had more to say but I've censored myself... is there an icon for that? )

37. Willard

Willard Seasoned Veteran

Good read! Thanks for posting.

38. copycon

copycon Guest

Hmmmmmmm.....

39. Trebr Drab

Trebr Drab Guest

Because only in such places can one find the perfect day for every season.

40. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Excellent article, and pretty much explains why I personally want the game to be played by people, and not by scripts, and why I want it to be a game where you can be "good" and still compete and be successful.

41. Trebr Drab

Trebr Drab Guest

Cal, the home run!
    I wasn't a star or good enough for a scholarship, but I was fairly good in football.
    I remember my first "home run", my first touchdown. A 20 yard run up the middle to win the game. It started with the most perfect blocking by the linemen to open up the hole, then followed with a couple of jocks left on the field, and concluded with me holding the ball up in victory while teammates mobbed me.

This is UO's story, the home run. At present, the jocks are still on the field... and the fans are still looking for the baseball.

42. JC the Builder

JC the Builder Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

My question is when is UO going to start having an impact again. Every MMO in development is referencing what UO did 10 years ago for their design decisions. Why has UO development stopped after the Age of Shadows?