1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

UO Stygian Abyss Interview

Discussion in 'UHall' started by DoranM, Aug 31, 2009.

1. DoranM

DoranM Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

There's a new interview up at Curse with Cal Crowner and Josh Drescher!

here's the link: http://www.curse.com/articles/uo-en-news/557725.aspx

here's a snippet of the article:

Curse: New dungeons have always been exciting and some of the past additions, Lamp Post stealing in Doom, the Dark Father, etc. What's in store for players with Stygian Abyss?

Cal: The Abyss. If you've seen the trailers you'll know that the Abyss is MASSIVE. The idea is the Abyss is out of time, it's in a void, and the areas don't make sense. There's one area called the "Silver Sapling" and there's this massive glowing tree in this area next to lava pits and you'll notice in different areas you'll have a different experience. If you enter the Abyss form Britannia you'll have a very different experience than if you enter it from the Gargoyle side. Everything comes together in the Chamber of Virtue where the Slasher of Veils is and there's a chasm in between that divides the area. Within the Abyss there's between 7-10 smaller encounter areas and will really give the players a unique experience.

2. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

Lamp post stealing is the most exciting thing ever.

3. Snakeman

Snakeman UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Now if we could steal someones undies... Now That Would be EXCITING! :blushing:
    But a lamp post :dunce: ya right. (Think he's ever played the game folks......:lol:)

4. Lord Patapon

Lord Patapon Guest

The efforts on advertisement are really cool, though.
    (except if those focus on lamp post stealing, of course :p)

5. phantus

phantus Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

TV spots....can't wait to not see those haha

6. Tay M'real

Tay M'real Guest

thanks for posting - i'm psyched about the new content

7. christy1221

christy1221 Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Thanks for posting this. I can't wait till next week. :thumbsup:

8. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie

"Curse: Staining is a new skill that allows gardeners, cooks, and alchemists, will that be different than previously rare and awarded dye sets?"

Either that sentence is missing 'to make dyes' and needs serious grammar repair work, or he reckons us gardeners, cooks and alchemists are the results of stains... :hahaha:

9. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

He mentioned Steam. Does this mean the expansion and/or the client are going to be available on Steam?

10. HillBilly

HillBilly Guest

I like hearing things like this :thumbsup:

Why doesnt EA offer UO on the EA Store website? Its been MIA for quite some time. Sad. :cursing:

11. Cear Dallben Dragon

Cear Dallben Dragon Babbling Loonie

yeah i keep asking them to with feedback. would be a great idea.

12. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

These are interesting responses from Cal regarding the champ spawns in the Abyss:

I'm fuzzy on whether the semi-instancing is for the Fel champ spawns or the peerless encounters. I guess we'll find out soon.

13. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Every time I encourage some company to release their product on Steam, I laugh. I remember what a disaster it was when it was first released, and how much everyone hated it... :)

14. Beer_Cayse

Beer_Cayse Guest

or at the very least give wedgies!

15. Chrissay_

Chrissay_ Guest

It will be on the EA Store website by September 8th ;)

16. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

I plan on buying one...

17. DoranM

DoranM Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Really?
    Ask around. :)
    Anyway, yeah lamp post stealing was pretty exciting when it first came out.

I don't really think it's appropriate for a moderator to be openly mocking someone, especially when that someone has played around 5000 hours of UO in their lifetime.

18. Kiminality

Kiminality Guest

Moderators are people too.
    While everything a moderator says reflects on Stratics, in a sense, volunteering to moderate doesn't mean signing away your ability to express yourself within the RoC.

19. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

This quote is about Staining:

I like that, I like that they tried to not devalue the other dyes.

For those of you who at the start of this thread made fun of stealing lamps?

One of the worst things about the UO player base is that a vocal minority of players feel the need to devalue parts of the game they don't participate in. (I remember a few months back a simple post of someone's house design had to be locked because those players spammed it with "house design sux u should go 2 fel" posts.) I know of several people who had a lot of fun stealing lamps and other things from Doom for a very, very long time. It has been quite profitable during at least 3 different time periods that I can think of, and it's been fun for a lot of people at other times even when it wasn't profitable relative to effort. Sadder still when one of those folks is a moderator.

And for the record: No, I was never a Doom Rares Thief, myself. The point is that other players were.

-Galen's player