1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

UO2. An article about it and us "Older Gamers"

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Green Mouser, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

Warhammer Online and Star Wars the Old Republic have ensured that EA will not make another traditional MMORPG.

If there ever is a game called Ultima Online 2, it will be more like Ultima Forever than UO.

2. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

That is a terrible, terrible article. So many things wrong with it, starting with the pictures. #1 and #3 specifically...

Coldren likes this.
  3. SlobberKnocker

SlobberKnocker Slightly Crazed

the only thing i see in the article that is something i believe in is the idea of retro. retro always comes back in vogue over time. im not sold on uo needing better graphics. theres someting alluring in the old style to me and i'm sure im not the only one. i think if the current dev team stays on the course of the recent producer letter and can finally give a good concerted effort to seriously curtail the unauthorized accoutrements that some choose to run, coupled with a little bit of advertising than yes i can see a revival at some point down the road.

rose colored glasses? not sure but its what i would loke to believe.

Joey Porter and CovenantX like this.
  4. Picus at the office

Picus at the office Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I don't think that UO2 would be close to the game that UO is or was. I'd be shocked to see that a current crop of devs are able to think, plan and push a game as deep as UO is. While I've not bothered to play other games from what I have read most seem to be more of a story or quest base unlike the sandbox style that I'm not sure anything else has. The investment that would be needed to get such a game off the ground would be large not including all the other costs if it ever launched. It's a shame that starwars never did well but I have been told it was a borked game from day one.

I'm not sure that a sandbox style would go over well anymore as it seems most newer players want everything spelt out and in place for mindless fun. Sad but playing UO is more of what do you want to do and less of do what you are told.

5. Green Mouser

Green Mouser Guest

What slightly disturbs me is that I found this article in my Archaeology news feed. Not helping me feel current :(

6. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

UO gets mentioned all the time on some of the MMORPG sites, and not just Massively. The recent producer's letter was posted on a bunch of different sites, and not just MMORPG sites, but general sites.

7. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

ArcheAge will be the closest equivalent to a sandbox-style MMORPG to come out in the next few years. Even then a part of it is live-arc driven, although you are not required to participate in that part of the game. You can just stick to building your house and farming your fields and treasure hunting in the ocean. And you can raise crops on the bottom of the ocean, which is like the opposite of a raised garden bed.

Richard Garriott's thing might be pretty close though. Somebody mentioned Elder Scrolls somewhere else, but while it has some former UO people working on it (the Creative Director is a former UO Lead Designer), I don't know if they really would embrace the sandbox.

I think that depresses a lot of current and former UO players, that nobody is really trying to make something like it. It says a lot about UO itself, about how special it is, but it also doesn't bode well.

EA is doing away with single-player games btw.

EA Turns Its Back On Single-Player Games, Embraces The Cloud - Forbes

#8 Woodsman, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2012
  8. legendsguy

legendsguy Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Of course it's doomed. Who in their right mind would ever trust EA again to make a good UO game? Perhaps you're hooked on UO now, but you'd have to be a complete fool to go through all that again.