1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

UOStratics can you help us the UO Community?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Lord Frodo, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

You are putting in a lot of work on UOStratics and I applaud you for it but maybe you guys should get ahold of Broadsword and I do not mean Mesanna either, I mean Rob Denton, he is the head guy at BS is he not, and have him come on here and tell us what is really going on with Ultima Online. UO is treating us like mushrooms, you know keeping us in the dark and IMHO feeding us you know what. UOStratics has as much invested in UO as the UO community does and guess what if UO dies so does UOStratics. This whatever you want to call it with the CODES sounds like a big run around and as far as I am concerned was caused by UO and has nothing to do with a store running out of codes like they want us to believe. UO/BS needs to show us that they really care about the UO Community just like we show UO that we care by paying our subs every month for the game we love. Maybe we love this game to much because I would have never allowed this type of service from any other company. I will tell you that I did not buy the last 3 booster because IMHO they were not worth $10 each but I was going to buy them at 50% but guess what UO/BS took them down. Maybe I/we are asking to much from UOStratics to get involved in this but IMHO you have as much at stake as we do if not more.

2. Jirel of Joiry

Jirel of Joiry Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Here, here!!! I agree wholeheartedly! This fiasco has been the biggest example of mismanagement and poor communications I have ever seen.

UOStratics, please help you maybe our only hope since your existence is dependent on UO.

3. Kirthag

Kirthag Former Stratics Publisher
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

We are players just like everyone else. Aye, we know.

We communicate with Mesanna as she is the official point of contact for Broadsword insofar as UO is concerned.

The best any of us as customers can do is email their support.

:(

Insofar as to our existence - it is determined by the community and contributors.

4. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie

Given the way we are treated by Broadsword, all the half-truths, dodges, excuses, bumbling, terrible "communications" and frequent misinformation we all too regularly see - why on earth do you think I would be inclined to believe anything the head of that company says to us?

If he has no idea what has been going on, and what our experiences of the company are, he's hopeless - and if he does know what we think of them, and carries on behaving the same way anyhow (presumably because he thinks he and his company are getting what they want from the current arrangements), we'd be crazy to trust him and his announcements. After all, his past history in the mmo industry is, to some of us, hardly reassuring.....

5. callum_fitzhugh

I run a business. It isn't rocket science. You start off by fixing the basic fundamental problems which seem to be the ability to take money from players for subscriptions and items. Sort that out first and ignore ALL other problems till it is fixed. Get your house in order Broadsword one step at a time.

6. Faenwen

Faenwen Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Indeed.... most important is: Easy way to find and get the game, easy way to organise the game account make it as customerfriendly and easy as you can (Account Management), easy way to buy codes GTCs, item codes or whatever. Communicate with the comunity.... even bad news are better than no news at all!

the game and the community is so addicted and in love with the game they will do the rest.

7. Mitzlplik_LS

Mitzlplik_LS Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

This is right off BS main site:

"We are Broadsword. We have a passion for growing and evolving interconnected online worlds. We believe in quality and strive to deliver compelling content, energized communities and top tier service to all of our players. We are all passionate gamers and we love to work with our communities of committed, hard-core gamers. In the end, for us Broadswordians, it's all about providing an unparalleled experience to Every Player, Every Day"

LOL Love to work with your communities eh? Must have forgotten you guys wrote that. I`d edit out the BS on your main page. Cause saying and doing is two entirely different things.

Whats worse is there is only two games under the BS banner. Not like its EA with tons of games. TWO, two games and we can`t get updates or communique or an asinine account management system fixed or keep an online store full or even make it easy for YOU to take our money. I mean SERIOUSLY. It freekin amazes me this game keeps chuggin along after so many years of a game company ignoring and mishandling their customers. But I guess BS only has to live up to EA`s reputation, so what do you expect.

download (6).jpg

Lord Gandalf and Lord Frodo like this.
  8. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

What do I expect... Well... I suppose that like many others I expected that once Broadsword was formed then out from under the oppressive yolk of EA games... at least a bit... that the DEV's with their hands untied would then turn to "fixing" the most important things first... like customer service.

While I have some some forward progress in this direction I just fail to understand why we still have our accounts held under EA and the totally back-A$$ward account mis-management system they shoved down our gullets ages ago... making many very distraught.. costing others their accounts... driving 100's away from the game... etc... but yet here we are still using it... I expected as well that they would work VERY hard on getting the store off of Origin and onto their own control... again I was mistaken. Now I'm not sure who's in charge over there of budgets and bringing in revenue for Broadsword... perhaps EA pays them a flat fee no matter what they do to increase the income so perhaps they just don't give a damn about it... I find that a bit strange. But we do know that EA thinks in terms of revenue as lets sell packs. So they want an expansion pack created to sell because they think that the game is rather like Diablo or something where the only income it generates is through sales of copies of the game... which is stupid on the part of EA but that seems to be how they think... So therefore they push the idea of an "expansion" when all they would REALLY have to do is sell us the things we want... fix it so we can safely and securely manage our accounts... and price things we want in the store. Now I'll say this I know 100's of folk who would buy an expansion that allowed a second house or even up their sub rate by 1 or 2 bucks a month if they could have a second house on the account... or add storage... and I"m not talking any measly 20% I'm talking about doubling or significantly increasing storage. 40 to 50% at least... Sure some might take the second house and close an account... but I don't think many would do that.... I think that they would miss their other characters and reopen it ... probably soon enough to get a 3rd and or 4th house.. or added storage or whatever...

Honestly I also expected to not have to wait up to a week or more to get a response from a GM as well... at least by now. I do know that Mesanna was training a new GM awhile ago... but one does not fix the issue... 5 would come closer.

But then if we are talking expect I didn't really expect to be still playing here some 15+ years later... I honestly didn't think I'd still be playing 2 years let alone 15+... so what can I say...

Lord Frodo likes this.
  9. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I just wrote EA using the Origin store (upper right) EA help drop down, contact us.
    I asked them 2 simple questions
    1. Why were the codes for Ultima Online taken down?
    2. Will there be a sale to make up for this?
    Those ate two fairly simple questions that do not accuse anybody of anything. Let me remind you what Mesanna wrote "As I am sure you are aware Origin does not have any codes avaliable for sale right now. We have supplied new codes and they should be up on the store within the next couple of days." This was Posted by Bonnie Armstrong | 2015 Jun 19 14:33 -0400 GMT for those of us on the Pac side and where EA that would be 11:33 -0700 GMT. So she contacted them at 11:33am (Pac) on Friday and EA does nothing until after the sale is over at 10:00am Monday June 22. So basicly she threw EA under the bus so I will await to see if EA throws her under the bus. Did Europe and Japan have these sales also and if so did they run out of codes too.

Lord Gandalf likes this.
  10. Armani Exchange

Armani Exchange Seasoned Veteran

Europe had these sales, I Managed to buy a transfer token on the first day, since then, no UO items are for sale

11. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I wrote this for the DELETED thread but it still holds true even for this thread. I wish I would have copied your remarks because sadly this is as much our fault as it is UOs if not more.

The sad part is you are 100% right and we as a group have allowed UO to give us the UO Community crappy service. If we didn't love UO so much then we would have done to EA/UO/BS what should have been done years ago and let UO die. I am not sure what I will or will not do with this new expansion but I did not buy the last 3 boosters because IMHO they were not worth it. I was going to buy them during the sale but we all know what happened to that. IMHO if they put in as much effort in the expansion as they did the last 3 boosters then I am sorry I WILL NOT BUY IT just because I love UO. We need to tell BS/UO/EA with our wallet they this is unacceptable and we as paying customers demand better. I had to leave for almost a year, still paid subs, but because so many things were happening UO never entered my mind and I realized that it may hurt but I CAN LIVE WITHOUT UO. OMG I said it, yes Gracy I can live with out UO. Yes I still love playing the game but here lately BS/UO has really gotten on my nerves. Bottom line is that yes we the UO Community have let EA/UO/BS get away with this for a long time but it really pisses me off that EA/UO/BS has abused this by not stepping up like any real business would do that cared about its customers. I really thought that when BS took over UO that things would changed, well they sure did, for the worse.

I guess we get what we expect and deserve because we have allowed it to continue.

12. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

So that is two stores that lost their codes. If I am not mistaken those two stores are two separate stores are they not? UUMMMM very interesting my good man.

King Greg and Keith of Sonoma like this.
  13. Dot_Warner

Dot_Warner Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Britain [BRIT]

14. Keith of Sonoma

Keith of Sonoma Certifiable

You would think that in the interest of goodwill to the UO community, the sale would be extended. The ONLY way that does not make sense is if the take down was intentional. Which is a slap in the face of all UO players.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  15. Armani Exchange

Armani Exchange Seasoned Veteran

I'm unsure why they would take game time codes down though, they were priced normally

16. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter
    Moderator Professional Governor Campaign Patron UWF

I think people need to stop complaining about missing out on the sale and realize this game desperately needs money. I don't think anyone's bank account is going to go negative because you missed a $3 discount.

Be thankful the codes are back up.

17. Vor

Vor Grand Inquisitor

Well, I did spend £100 on codes on Wednesday that would have been £200 normally. You may say BS lost £100 of sales. They actually gained £100 since I'd not have bought them otherwise.

18. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Exactly

Lord Frodo and Uriah Heep like this.
  19. Keith of Sonoma

Well, since the game "desperately needs money" it's a shame they missed out on mine, (and a whole lot more) people's money. Because there are a lot of things I would have bought on sale that I will just do without for now. I just feel it was pretty sorry the way they went about it. I really don't ANYBODY believes it was an "accident" *cough, cough*. They would have been better off not advertising a "sale" than to blow smoke up our butts.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  20. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

I had planned to buy some codes on sale towards the end of last week (upgraded storage on an account, $10 on sale; King's Collection on two accounts, $10 on sale for two; maybe get a transfer token or two since my accounts aren't old enough for shields, $20 on sale for two; some Legacy tokens, $20 on sale for two). However, the sale ended too early. At this point, I have no intention of paying EA (or Broadsword if they add these to an in-game store) for these items at their regular prices because they just aren't worth it to me at those prices. So that's $60 EA or Broadsword won't be getting from me.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  21. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter
    Moderator Professional Governor Campaign Patron UWF

I'm just calling it like I see it: Middle school level whining and complaining. While I fully admit the code situation was unfortunate and rather disappointing, did you honestly expect different? And if you're all that cheap that you weren't going to buy the items without a sale, I'm surprised you play the game to begin with. Even paying for these items at full cost, really isn't that much.

I will repeat myself: Be thankful the codes are back up and we still have a game to play.

22. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Lol, OK bro

Lord Frodo likes this.
  23. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

What is the "did you honestly expect different" part of that question supposed to mean?

Lord Frodo likes this.
  24. Kirthag

Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

Everyone... please... (yeah, spelled it out this time).

We keep beating up the same utterly mutilated pulp of a pony on this. Our grievances over the prolonged lack of communications, support, sales, etc. is a lot to swallow - and I understand we all need to vent out our frustrations. However I believe Broadsword knows and is fully aware of the issues - they've outlined them before, acknowledged the shortcomings of their service, and have set goals to change them.

However, with active and archaic systems, it is not as simple as writing a few thousand lines of code and pushing a button. Taking systems that are sensitive (finances, personal information, credit info, etc.) and updating them live is a tricky process. I spent close to 5 years modernizing a live business system that was built in the late '70s!

I suspect once Broadsword has the new account management system and their own ecommerce systems vetted and ready, they will announce that with much fanfare and have a "grand opening" sale. Ayuh, that would be good marketing at least. :)

So, pls, calm down. Let's get back to enjoying our game.

25. Yadd of Legends

Yadd of Legends Certifiable
    Campaign Supporter

OK, lock it up then

26. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Lets go with your assumption that this was totally out of UOs hands. Please could you explain to me how 3 separate stores all ran out of codes at the exact same time. US, Europe and now Brazil all ran out of codes. UUMMMM smells a little fishy to me by George. Please could you post where all these shortcomings can be found along with a post showing the goals to correct them. We are sorry and yes we are venting because all we have heard is a lot of hot air. 3 stores do not run out of codes all at the same time. We still do not know about the people Down Under, Japan or Korea.

King Greg likes this.
  27. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Why do you accept this as the norm for customer service? It was not just $3 saved when you add in multi account upgrades and other items that were going to be purchased by the UO Community. My savings would have been over $100 but as I was not able to purchase anything then I saved it all and UO lost over $100.

Keith of Sonoma and King Greg like this.
  28. Kirthag

Frodo... you know I cannot explain what happened. I don't work for Broadsword, Origin or EA. :p

Insofar as the rest of your requests - a quick search over at uo.com will show their posts. You can also look at Broadswords officially published videos.

Venting is good, keeps bad gasses from causing major stinks. The staff at Broadsword are reading, I'm sure.

I do know the Asian and Aussie stores also ran out of codes. Basically - that tells me the following:
    • UO Codes (for game time, items, or what have you) are finite inventory items that yes, can and do run out
    • When inventory is depleted, more inventory needs to be created
    • That new inventory needs to be added into the store manually, individually, one at a time, to avoid duplicated codes
    • All of the stores are connected in some way to the main supply (i've worked on ecomm solutions like that with a "central warehouse" for several storefronts)
    It is my _guess_ that the summer sale totally blew out the existing inventory before the expected "shipment of codes" was delivered. After all, such good prices, sure - who wouldn't buy! It happens. I think UPS had an awesome commercial about a company that had a sudden influx of web orders and quickly ran out of inventory - then stared at each other in horror. Is every internet business' nightmare, and yes, it happens. But that is my guess - I do not know for sure as I am not part of any branch involved. Nor does anyone else posting. Badgering on the boards is not going to get any quick responses from Broadsword. I'm sure they realize the situation was a snafu. What more can any of us expect other than an apology and yes, restocking of the inventory?

We all know Broadsword is developing their own solution which will include a new website as well as new account management. We are all waiting.

29. Dot_Warner

Dot_Warner Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Britain [BRIT]

The problem is that we've been waiting, literally, for years and getting nothing but lip service for our continued support of UO.

Let's think of the things they've said were "coming" and have either disappeared, been scrapped, or have creeped so far off scope as to easily dismissed as lies...

Rideable Sea Horses
    Supposed to come soon after Ilshenar, was scrapped because they didn't like the look...probably due to clipping with water tiles.

High-Res Art
    Promised since shortly after the EC came out. Several times we were told it was "still coming," and even got a sad sneak-peek at a redone castle wall art. Years pass. Last year we're told they have a new process that will get a conversion done in "weeks." A few months ago we're told the whole thing is scrapped.

UO Website/Account Management/Game store
    All three are ABYSMAL, and that is, quite frankly, being quite kind.
    We've been told they're working on new versions, yet they can't even update the main site so it doesn't advertise things that are now old: RtB from Oct '14, Anniversaries from '14 and '12(!), preparing ourselves for "new content" released in '09 and '10. They still haven't bothered to throw up a blurb (aside for focus group posts) about Time of Legends aside from a video. You'd think that'd be a banner at the top. To top that off, mid-May has come and gone. No. Changes.

Communication
    Its gone sharply downhill since EA sacked the bulk of the dev team that gave us SA. We haven't had a community liaison since April of '14, though all he really did was post things to uo.com and not actually interact with the community. We've been told they "want to work on it" an embarrassing number of times, but results never materialize. A "what we're up to" post (publicly uo.com, not just posts on Stratics) every other week or so would go a long ways towards lessening the pitchforks and torches.

The above are just the most memorable things. How long is long enough to wait? At what point should we hold them accountable or expect results instead of more smoke and mirrors? BS has existed and run UO for over a year now, but so far, its just been SSDD. Their mission statement is delusional at best.

30. Kirthag

yeah, i wanted a seahorse in the worst of ways... thought it would be so kewl.
    then someone said a giant turtle was swimming around ilshenar - never found that.

anyhoo...

31. Keith of Sonoma

Didn't that new account management system come out LAST MONTH. Oh wait, never mind! ROFL

Lord Frodo likes this.
  32. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I understand that as an employee of UOStratics that you need to keep the animals at bay and play the diplomat BUT you must understand that all these stores can not be tied together under one warehouse, yes EA may own them all but I think that under Country laws and international laws that they have to be separated. I have seen there videos and they talk a good talk but so far all's I have seen is feet shuffling and I am still waiting for them to walk the walk. Where is all the stuff they promised us last month, oh we know they are busy doing an expansion, well then they should not have said they were going to do it then and have the cajones to say they over extended themselves. We all understand that people make mistakes but the people I respect the most are the ones that man up and admit to it and not give a song and dance routine when they do. If UO would show that they are human and not (I can not think of a word that you would let me print) then maybe we as a community might have a little more respect for them and cut them some slack when things do go wrong. And please do not try to tell us that 5 separate stores (who can not be tied together esp Japan) all ran out of codes at the same time. I know you can not say it but you have to admit that something aint right and smells a little fishy.

Keith of Sonoma likes this.
  33. Lord Nabin

Lord Nabin High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
    Professional Premium Stratics Veteran Supporter Glorious Lord ACW

*taps pipe and bored with the droning conversations in the tavern settles into his cloak for a nap *

transcendent, cobb and Merlin like this.
  34. Sir_Bolo

Sir_Bolo Sage

Throwing my 3 cents into the discussion because it's interesting to observe from the outside. I'll admit that I'm not personally affected because I wasn't planning to buy any codes...

1) The fault for running out of codes is definitely on Broadsword and/or EA, no question about that. I think it would be a smart PR move on their side to offer a more detailed apology and restart the sale.

2) Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. I don't think that Broadsword lied when they told that they just failed to provide enough codes to the store. They should have predicted increased demand during the sale, hence point #1...

3) And anyway, even if they had lied to us, they would never admit it. So I'm not expecting to hear anything else on the matter, except hopefully a longer apology.

Stubentiger likes this.
  35. OREOGL

OREOGL Babbling Loonie
    Professional Campaign Patron

While it wasn't a huge loss not getting the codes, why would anyone willingly pay the other 50%?

However, they are a business, regardless of who's fault it was, and I don't think we'd have to be as thankful that the gerbil is still running on the UO wheel if they would just take my money when I want to give it to them. :beer:

Mitzlplik_LS and Tanivar like this.
  36. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

Another +1 for you, well done.

HoneythornGump likes this.
  37. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

We need more :twak: and less :cheerleader:

The Craftsman likes this.
  38. Peekay

Peekay Slightly Crazed

Stratics is a FAN-site, the best thing Broadsword can do is to stay as far away from it as possible and focus more on their own support. And let's face it, if official UO ever died then Stratics, or what's left of the community, would more than likely latch on to the first popular freeserver as there would no longer be an UO related ToS to violate and begin sub-communities for trade on those freeservers. Sure, we're all paying customers however that doesn't mean Broadsword is entitled to tell us what might be immediately happening with the game, it's a nice perk that they do sure. But they don't actually need to nor are they required to. It's not our business, our business is to play the game as it is in it's current and official state and to report any problems we might encounter, and furthermore we pay for that. We don't pay to hear the inner workings of what's going on, we pay to play the game.

Furthermore because I know that there are entitled people who have dumped loads of money into the game and even more so, those who have made loads of money off of this game. That does not mean those people are entitled to anything more than the average joe who pays their monthly subscription to PLAY the game. So stop being so self empowered and get back to playing the game you pay for.

And before anyone takes a fence (literally, a fence) to this, I'm not directing this at any singular person(s) or even the OP. So if you find yourself offended by it, then do the game and it's community a big favor by getting over yourself. :)

39. Christina Kardos

UWF

+1

Kirthag and Merlin like this.
  40. railshot

railshot Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Be thankful?! Is taking our money for some pixels and crappy service a charity now? The way I see it, Broadsword people are the ones who should be thankful for still having a job. Given how well they perform it, that IS a charity.

41. Kirthag

I am not an employee of Stratics. I am a volunteer - as are all other members of staff here at Stratics.

None of us know nothing about the inner workings of the Origin store. I simply stated what I know from my experience. I am very aware of how ecommerce functions, and yes, it is feasible to have several online stores (even foreign ones) running off of the same inventory/warehouse. I know cos I did it. :p

Regardless - as I said, none of us knows what caused the issue and it makes no sense to get all up in a bind for we will most likely never know. What best we can do is hope the situation doesn't repeat itself.

Merlin, cholupa, transcendent and 4 others like this.