1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Updated Census of New Magincia

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Tina Small, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

About three months ago, I did a census of New Magincia (Trammel, except for Siege where it is in Fel) to see how it had fared after being in existence for a year. That thread can be found here: A Census of New Magincia | Stratics Forums .

Yesterday and today, I did another quick census as a followup. The results are in this spreadsheet, along with a copy of the sheet from April. The legend explaining the colors is on the third sheet.

Welcome to Google Docs

You'll note there are slightly more bazaar vendors than there were three months ago, but NPC vendors in player-owned houses are down from a total across all shards on April 22nd of 956 to just 845 currently.

In April, across all shards there were 61 empty lots that had not even a bare foundation plot out of 594 total available (10.2% empty ). Currently there are 89 empty lots out of 594 (15%).

Below are the shards where you'll find empty housing locations in New Magincia (Trammel) today. Keep in mind for each shard, that these are the total unoccupied lots out of 22 available lots.

18 Arirang
    15 Balhae
    14 Formosa
    10 Lake Austin
    10 Napa
    8 Oceania
    7 Origin
    4 Sonoma
    3 Legends

Five shards have no NPC vendors at all in player-owned houses: Arirang, Balhae, Baja, Napa, and Sonoma. And two shards are down to just one NPC vendor in a house that actually still has anything left on it for sale: Oceania and Lake Austin.

Pretty sad numbers for real estate that was so sought after just a mere 15 months ago.

I'll try to do the census again in October and hopefully the next three months will see things begin to pick up.

BeaIank, kelmo and Sevin0oo0 like this.
  2. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I'm not sure if houses can be placed there when the existing ones fall?
    I still have a pet stall on Europa that I stock daily

3. Promathia

Promathia EM Bennu Fanclub
    Premium Stratics Veteran

They can

4. Tina Small

Stratics Veteran 4H

I'll second what Promathia said--houses can be placed on empty New Magincia lots. You have to be mighty careful with the placement (e.g., if using the classic client, push the game window all the way up and to the left) to get a house with full storage to place, but it's doable. It might also help to check to see where the house is sitting on the lot on another shard before trying to place.

5. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox

:) I had a vague memory of it being said that if they fell they couldn't be replaced. Obviously my memory is as faulty as usual. Probably I'm getting mixed up with the Abyss houses.

6. Tina Small

Stratics Veteran 4H

At least half of the houses that are still standing look like they were set up to accommodate vendors. I would say fewer than 10% fall in the "borg cube" category. There are some really nice designs out there. And I love to look in the shops on the Japanese shards. I just can't help myself from going into many of them and looking at how the owners decorated. I always end up seeing something I want to try myself. Two things I saw today really stuck out--a small fish tank apparently made with a crystal brazier and an astronaut's suit. I don't I'll be trying the astronaut's suit, but it was pretty darn clever.

7. Tina Small

Stratics Veteran 4H

Two Magincia houses I went through today that I really liked for how they were laid out and that made clever use of NPCs to "staff" the house were the house at SW-5 on Hokuto and and the one at SW-1 on Wakoku. (If you go to the last one, make sure you go all the way upstairs!)

8. Poo

Poo The Grandest of the PooBah’s
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor 4H

you can definitely place on the plots.
    i placed one beside the one i own just last month when it IDOCed.

biggest they fit is 15x15, which is max storage.

i still think the tamer vendors are so neat!
    on shards where i don't have tamers and need beetles or fire beetles i can usually get them at the bazaar for a ok price, which i LOVE.

Viquire likes this.
  9. Alouenikah

Alouenikah Caretaker of Sudiva
    Stratics Veteran

Baja's Magincia is home to most of the roleplaying community; the rest "live" in a player-run town in Felucca. While they don't have any vendors on the island, they have a communal vendor house in Zento. [Which is another problem with the "New Luna" project; Zento was already an attempt at creating another Luna, and for the most part, activity seems to have already dropped off there by the time Magincia was underway. On Baja at least, there are several large - I'm talking 15x15 and above - plots vacant in the ring area directly around the city, with many more in the surrounding land.]

There's also a grand total of one housing spot vacant in Baja Magincia, but it's, like, a 7x7 so I can't blame you for not finding it. It's down on the sand if anybody wants to dash there and place a house!

10. Emil Ispep

Emil Ispep Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Well I dont know about the rest of you, but i brought the rubble back, and made a bar.

[​IMG]

N1 Pac/Tram.. 3 more floors =)

DJAd and sablestorm like this.
  11. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Gives you a good idea of just how much larger the Atlantic market is than any other U.S. market. Asian shards are thriving, such as Mugen, but Atlantic has half the amount of vendors as they did in April.

That's a lot of work to compile, thanks Tina. Always interesting to make assumptions based on this kind of data since we'll never have access to hard account numbers, and yeah, I'm going to stretch that out and rant a little.

It's really funny though, Richard Garriott pretty much hit it on the head. No one has even tried to compete with UO. I mean, there are some who would argue a 2D world would make for faster gameplay and low end usability that three dimensional games just can't touch, whereas others would say why focus on an old look when everything is trying to be WoW or DOTA. I'm not really sure.

"Currently we have documented 1173 known bugs in our system, I want to cut that number in half," said Mesanna, in her Letter from the Producer. "This bug sprint will not happen till the first of the year so that will give me plenty of time to go over all the bugs in the thread on stratics to make sure we have those documented in our system." Another way to read that address is no bug fixes until January at best.

I don't know. Couldn't a secretary record 1,173 entries in an eight-hour shift? I feel kind of insane to pay a monthly for a game that knowingly has over 1,000 bugs that won't be fixed over the next sixth months. But because there really is no UO alternative, it's just a matter of cold turkey or blind faith.

Oh well. I'll keep my eyes out.

12. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend

I got a pet shop on Drachenfels, sales are still great! :)

13. Flutter

Flutter Always Present

I have moved into Fel New Magincia on ATL for all of my guild's ATL needs.
    Location can be provided upon requests.
    Trasspassers will be executed.

14. Promathia

Promathia EM Bennu Fanclub
    Premium Stratics Veteran

I honestly would love to see you try

15. Poo

Poo The Grandest of the PooBah’s
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor 4H

it's were all the cool kids hang out... trust me, im there.
    :)
    hmm.... why isnt there a cool kid smiley?
    you know, mullet with a thin leather tie.... thats still cool right?

Leather Lucy likes this.
  16. claudia-fjp

claudia-fjp Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Looks like UO is pretty dead in Korea. Baekdu, their Siege shard was shut down a decade ago. Arirang is so empty you can even place castles all over, brit x-roads is a wide open green field. This shows the top 2 empty are both the Korean servers. Odd considering how popular UO is in Japan just across the water.