1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Vanishing Act

Discussion in 'UO Crime' started by Alagos Galadrim, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Alagos Galadrim

Alagos Galadrim Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I've seen others steal, run off about 5 steps and vanish hidden - when I steal I have to run off and it takes like 30 seconds until it lets me hide - keeps saying "must wait to use another skill" - is there a trick to this that I'm missing?

2. Nonel

Nonel Sage
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Invis pots or invis items.

Edit: or invis spell.

3. Touzoko

Touzoko Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Potions have a delay. Invis spell might not if they are wearing 4/6 jewelry. This one thinks old invis charged items.

4. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Drinking a potion, casting the spell both have an animation you would notice, same with smoke bombs. I think items is the only answer - and they'll eventually run out since they no longer spawn.

5. RichDC

RichDC Guest

Potions you also are required to remain stationary for the duration of delay,
    Smoke bombs have a skill timer on then (although a little less than the 12s i think) and there is animation.

6. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

Haha, I know the secret. But sorry...I'm not telling...and it's not cheating either...la

7. RichDC

RichDC Guest

Oh go on dont be a spoil sport :p

8. Nickster

Nickster Guest

come on rico.. it will help the whole world.... well it will help me :)

9. TheScoundrelRico

Let me just say, it's all about the timing you use when hitting the steal macro...and then actually stealing an item...la

10. RichDC

RichDC Guest

Thank you...Will have to test my timing when i get in :)

11. Nexus

Nexus Site Support
    Administrator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron

Rico is saying:
    bring up the steal Targeting cursor, wait 12 seconds or close too then target. You've already waited out most of the timer so you'll be able to hide much sooner.

12. Nickster

Nickster Guest

Bless you Rico!

I will have to put this to the test later * evil Grin *

although this does mean my cover will be blown well before the steal :)

13. TheScoundrelRico

There are many times this will not help. But if I am going to be doing a run by steal...I'm already revealed when I start running toward my mark.

fyi, run bys work great on larger items. I have gotten a few pet balls (10 stone items) unnoticed using this technique, lol. I end up giving them back with a rather small return fee since I do go unnoticed...and they can't attack in town without flagging first, lol...la

14. Nickster

Nickster Guest

again a good tip sire!

15. Alagos Galadrim

Alagos Galadrim Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

That is a good tactic I didn't know about. - The events I've witnessed though involve someone who is stealthed, appears and steals immediately, darts off in one direction and vanishes while running off within 5 tiles - more recently, I had one who stole from me in Fel Despise, was about 5 tiles (estimated) turned into Wolf form and vanished at the same time while running.

I use invisibility immediately after the steal myself, but you can't be moving while you cast it - never tried the potions before

16. Arch Magus

Arch Magus Guest

I keep my thief shoeless so I can slip on a pair of Invisibility charged boots. still have about 30'ish charges left too.

I can steal a powerscroll and disappear in less than a second. :D

17. Touzoko

Touzoko Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Always more than one way to get cat skins.
    Why does there not exist a "thief guild" forum, that may only ne accessed by members of generic thieves'guild? Would be good place to share secrests and boasts concerning thief trade, without sharing with absolutely everyone. Things will trickle out, but not so easy.

18. weins201

weins201 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

a nijas best freind next to old invis items

19. Chiera

Chiera Guest

you can actually steal while casting, so with slow casting (protection) you can macro cast invis - use stealing - last target - wait for target - target self. Works pretty well. Another way I can think of how this could be done without invis items would involve a pet. Or Rico's way ofc :)