1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Vendor Search repeating issue

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Gidge, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Gidge

Gidge Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend BoE

Every time I am using the vendor search feature, and I am going through a large list of items, it goes through them once, and then again. a group of 5 then the same group of 5, then the next 5 and then that group of 5 again. Sometimes it will shuffles them slightly, but it is always the same thing. CC and EC. Anyone else see this before I either
    A: think I am going insane or
    B: send it in as a bug?

2. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

Could it be that one or more vendors have multiple items on it with the same pricing?

3. Gidge

Gidge Sage

I though about that and I can go to the vendor and there will be one item and if I buy it, both are gone. :confused: It must be something I am doing somehow. I'll keep playing around with it. It will probably end in a self face palm. lol
    :facepalm:

4. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

Perhaps you have successfully duped the Vendor search... :p

5. BrianFreud

BrianFreud Lead Wiki Mod & Doer of Crazy Things
    Professional Wiki Editor Wiki Moderator Campaign Supporter

It happens when you're in a range of numbers; try searching for "rubble" on Atlantic. When you get to a point where the final page's last item's price would be the same as the first price on the first page of the new loaded results, it shows all items starting from the beginning of that price.

So

(last page)
    a 1,000,000
    b 750,000
    c 500,000
    d 500,000
    e 500,000

(first page)
    c 500,000
    d 500,000
    e 500,000
    f 500,000
    g 400,000

Since some searches can have pages' worth of items at the same price, when the new results "restart" from the beginning of that price range, it can seem that you're repeating an entire set of results.

Gidge and Tjalle like this.
  6. Boba

Boba Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

It's not a bug. The search is working exactly as they intended.

As Brian mentioned, it is due to the way their search algorithm was implemented. The pseudo code for it would be akin to something along the lines of (example shown sorted high to low):

low: 0, high: 175mil

display page of 5 items, in descending order of prices

repeat 11 more times

get price from page 12, item 5

new low: 0, new high: price from page 12, item 5

display page of 5 items in descending order

repeat 11 more times

etc.

The system isn't truly able to keep track of which page you last visited and are currently on while browsing the search results. Instead, all it’s doing is resetting the max or min price (whichever way you have it set), and then simply creates a new search with those caps. So if the 5th item on page 12 price was 1,000,000gold, all it’s doing is creating a brand new search with your min/max at 1mil. As you noticed, the items on pages 8-12(for example) could all be priced at 1mil, so it's really just bringing you to page 8 and starting from there, hence the repetition.

If you’re doing a search on every item for sale on a vendor in game -- in order to get rid of the repetition and keep track of which page you’re on, the search would have to query and load the entire database before hand which can be very taxing on the system with simultaneous people searching. Currently, they only have to query the database for 12x5=60 items at a time, which as you can image is much faster than tens of thousands, possibly millions of results.

Gidge and Tjalle like this.
  7. Gidge

Gidge Sage

Thank you Brian and Boba!!!!! I knew I was seeing something! Glad it is neither a bug nor a sign of insanity. Although I could have dealt with the insanity more than a UO bug. :) And Brian.... one day, this fellow named Larry wandered into our guild house and we were trying to hold a meeting and all of a sudden he said... Oooh. Colors. :) it brought the whole room to laughter.

BrianFreud likes this.
  8. BrianFreud

BrianFreud Lead Wiki Mod & Doer of Crazy Things
    Professional Wiki Editor Wiki Moderator Campaign Supporter

I so miss NPCs that talked and moved. :)

Gidge and Amber Witch like this.