1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Void Pool Rewards

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Swordsman, May 29, 2012.

1. Swordsman

Swordsman Adventurer

I think the cost of the void pool rewards should be halved. For an average player, it is too expensive to trade for an item.

Obsidian likes this.
  2. Theo_GL

Theo_GL Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I think the crafting ones are ok but the 'limited use' crap weapons and shield are too high.

Example - Sheild for like 2k points. A 'decent' warrior can get about 100 points per battle. Each battle requires a 15 min timer and about 15-20 min of play time to get the 100 points. So that is 20x20min= 400 + 10*15 min = 150 == 550 min or nearly 10 hours to get an item that last like 6 hours. No one wants to play that long for something that limited. Points for the limited use stuff should be like 500 tops. 4 or 5 good battles and you have it.

Of course, Dev's don't play this game. I think the dev team should each be REQUIRED to do the spawn long enough to get a shield and a bow. If they did, after taking the entire work week - they would readjust the points.

Just one more example of making this 'work' vs a game. How pathetically stupid.

I'm saving my points and hopefully they get a clue. We'll see.

I can tell you what though, based on the sad number of people on the scoreboards - I think Diablo III is killing this game.

Sevin0oo0 likes this.
  3. I think Diablo III is just an excuse to get away from the grind that you so well detailed. Decay systems and the farming grind are just to '90s - that's what's hurting UO.

Sevin0oo0 likes this.
  4. Cogniac

Cogniac Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

Irony meter: Overloaded.

Raptor85 and Jingles like this.
  5. Sauteed Onion

I wish they'd get more creative and give you cinnamon rolls as a reward choice.

6. Eaerendil

Eaerendil Professional Mall Santa and Legendary Piglet
    Professional Governor Stratics Veteran King'sYewHighlanders

200 points per battle is no problem for every participant of a 10 people-group. Even more possible. But one thing is true: "Ephemeral" is a bad idea... But why do you play Flipper? You dont get items when you throw your money in... You wanna be in the Highscore :) So, keep the Pool as it is now, remove "Ephemeral" and get some additonal stuff on Vera´s list (e.g. Deco!)...

7. Swordsman

Swordsman Adventurer

reward points 200 means 20000 void pool scores, so far, about 1 week, never seen every participant got 20000 void pool scores per battle. May be 1 out of 10 got 20000 from a single battle, majority got 10000 scores per battle

8. Eaerendil

Hmmm.... I got other values: It depends on the number of players you are fighting with: We went there with 10-20 players and I got 200+ reward points from about 3000 void pool scores... I fought five battles in sum with others and got 1600 reward points (22000 Void Pool Scores) for Vela. And I was the WEAKEST in my group! Maybe there is an error somewhere or I didn´t see something, but I was able to turn-in my points for the first item after 2 days with 5 visits in covetous... All those people I met there told me that the more people fight with you the better the relation of "rewardpoints : void pool scores" will be...

Or am I wrong at a certain point? I hope this isn´t a bug...

9. Nimuaq

Nimuaq Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

If they haven't changed the system after TC1, the above statement is not exactly correct:

Scores are based on the number and the wave of the creatures you killed. Reward points are awarded based on the number of waves you helped (I think even being one of the top attackers of a single creature on that wave counts as helping) during the battle. If you helped all 45 waves but killed quite less creatures than the other players, you will still get 203 reward points just like all the other players even though your score will be the least.

The higher number of players only increases your chance to advance to the next wave, and as the waves progress, they give more reward points and scores. Other than that, the number of players, the scores and the reward points are not directly related.

Also check G.v.P's findings on [Feedback] - Covetous wave to points | Stratics Forums and The Void Pool - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia

Eaerendil likes this.
  10. Swordsman

Swordsman Adventurer

oh man, 20000 scores means i fought very hard, 3000 score means doing little things...

11. Saint of Killers

Stratics Veteran

Little things like rezzing people, energy fielding off the pool when it's getting very thick, healing/cleansing people on the front line? Those are little things that are constant, and add up to more waves.

12. Obsidian

Obsidian UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

For the amount of time needed to earn 2000+ points, I think you should be abe to pickup a full version of the item with 255/255 durability. Even a non-POFable replica with 150/150 durability would be a step in the right direction. Personally, I think they need to make the Void pool rewards the real ones and the ones droped by Cora and Lvl 3/4 mobs the ephemeral ones and have every Cora drop items. After all, she only spawns once every 45 min.

13. Raptor85

Raptor85 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I'd go as far as to say "quartered" even, most of the items are outclassed by shame/wrong loot that's far easier to get but if the temp versions were inexpensive they would be a decent "reliable" piece to fill a slot. As they are now I wouldn't even consider buying one as the "farm time" to get them would make them more expensive than far better items. What would be cool though is if the cursed versions of the doom artys were brought back and added to this system, or at least just the useful ones like the orny, leggings, AOF, gorgets/etc

14. Swordsman

Swordsman Adventurer

I think the current reward costs are calculated based on 10 - 20 people playing the void pool every time......The real situation is not.

15. Redxpanda

Redxpanda Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

The portable forge should go in your backpack and weigh 1 stone

16. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

You should probably be able to get to Wave 10-30 depending on your playstyle, ability, and character type. On Origin, I had to solo most of the time, and I didn't really do great, just 12-15 (14-23 pts) usually on my necro mage. If you have to solo it's going to take you awhile, I agree. With two people you should be able to get to 15-20 (23-40 pts) pretty easy. The best bet with a couple of people is to do Fel, I guess, because it's double the points. With four people you should be able to get to 20-40 (40-160 pts). Primetime spawns on populated shards should regularly be 35-45 waves. It adds up--for now.

There is some concern regarding whether or not people will stick around to do the waves. The rewards might not be compelling enough. I spent 2,000 points to get a Valorite Map, which yielded a little over 400 valorite ingots. That allowed me to finish making a new sampire suit I was planning out, but I don't know, it ended up being around 5 points per ingot. I'd have to look at it all and see if that seems worth the time. I think it's nice to be able to know where the ore will be, but 2,000 pts--once the spawns die down--that's too expensive for my taste, yeah.

17. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

I hated cursed items. I think they should be like regular items except they become stronger in certain areas, like Fel, or the lairs and dens of the undead.
    While Shame items are more powerful, it looks like Cove items are more useful, a value in itself.

18. Raptor85

Raptor85 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

though 10-20 people doing it at the same time you don't really get more points than if you were there alone, why should it matter to me that if someone else comes they get one as well for the same time spent, in the end you still only get one yourself

@SevinOooO I like them, they're an inexpensive, more available version of the exact same pieces... why pay 3 mil for an orny when i can get one for 200k! Just unforunately as years go by there's less and less of them around. People have a weird stigma against cursed items, as if the fact that you can't insure them just automaticly makes them not worth wearing even if they're 100x the power of the suit you currently have on.....it doubly weirds me out that so many people refulse to wear cursed stuff even in tram...even if you die and it's on your body only mobs can loot you and there's only a handful in the game that do that anyways...

Sevin0oo0 likes this.
  19. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

That is not completely correct. When I'm alone i can get to wave 10-15 , when i go with several people i can make it to wave 35-40 . That is a lot more points then you go alone.What you say is that if you go alone you get to the same wave level as 10-20 people, that is something i can not believe.

20. Driven Insane

Or they're like me and don't even bother with it. Defending the pool is pointless and the rewards are overpriced (time vs reward) and useless.

Besides I've been over there endlessly killing Cora whenever she decides to show up so that sometime in late 2015 I might be able to get that shield. :coco:

21. Eaerendil

Frarc is right - we fought a couple of battles at the pool and I am reaching waves 40-50 with a group of 15 people (depending on the opponent type and the slayers I have). And I get at least 150-200 points earch round. Yesterday I turned in some points for the Blight of the Tundra. I got a "Poison Elemental Slayer", which I didn´t need and sold it for a nice couple of million gold :)

No, it is not: Some people play only for highscores - ever played flipper??? Highscores are a big motivation for some people. Others like the social aspect of this add-on, as it allows different groups of players to start a little social event, regardless of playstyle, template and individual experience. It is a thrill to test out if you can beat wave 54 (which is my personal record)... And last argument: Even if you dislike the arties (which I share in most points), the crafting-rewards are very useful!!! Its a nice add-on for people that mine ore or fish, for example...

Just enjoy the game, folks. My wife and I hang around in Covetous now and then - always with 5-15 people. Maybe some day, we loose interest in it, but for the moment it´s nice. And who knows wheter they will add additionall stuff on Vela´s list. Remember what they added in the Clean-Up. We shall see. In my opinion, its the best of those revamps... Ah, and by the way: I met some newbies that loved the dungeon and they were very proud that they got some drops from the mobs (Jaana´s Staff and such stuff...). Well, we should be happy with them: They meet people, they get experience, they gather highscore-points and reward-points and have a chance for a funny lil drop. Why can´t we be happy with such an amount of possibilities?

Sevin0oo0 likes this.
  22. Swordsman

Swordsman Adventurer

I am happy with the setup of the void pool, it's fun. Only the cost of turn in is too high, need to be halved.

So far, I only played on battle with 10+ people at the prime time of last Sunday. All other battles were 2 - 8 people, we usually end up at wave 35 - 40, got good scores but little turn in points.

If the turn in points is proportional to the scores, I would be happy with it.