1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Warning to miners - blackrock poisoning

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Hoffs, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Hoffs

Hoffs Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

On my travels recently, I have been studying a pair of miners who live in the desolate places to the east of Luna. They were both exhibiting very strange behaviour. They would follow a set route of mining locations but would always stealth between spots they actually mine. At other times I would see them just standing motionless as if transfixed by something in the rock formation. Yet whenever one tried to engage them in any kind of conversation, even just a simply 'hello', they would run like mad for their house nearby (although, curiously, not always in a dead straight direction). Indeed, it seems that the mere sight of a stranger would have them scampering away like one of those cowardly villagers in the invaded cities.

Fearing that perhaps it was the sight of women causing this - maybe the result of some unfortunate romantic encounter in earlier life - this morning I sent my friend Lord Atticus over to speak with one. Sadly, I didn't take into account that my esteemed colleague had been drinking heavily the previous night and was still largely inebriated come the morning. As he approached the gentlemen, Atticus was slurring his words and the result was a series of explosion and lightning spells which fell upon the poor quarryman. Although he ran back to his house in his usual manner, it seems the miner got caught up in some strange energy fields which had mysteriously appeared near the building's entrance and he ended up collapsing to the ground.

Upon examining the body to see if the miner yet lived, Atticus was astonished to find nearly fifty small pieces of blackrock inside the man's backpack and within the pockets of his robe. It is therefore my conjecture that exposure to large quantities of this strange mineral had lead him and his colleague into a state of madness. Whether it is just the rock in this area that causes this dementia is unclear, but I caution all miners - beware this evil rock lest you yourself fall prey to this dreadful zombie disorder.

Should any geologists or physicians wish to investigate this disturbing phenomena further, the area in question is at 122.46N, 10.45E in Malas (1476, 227).

[​IMG]

2. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

An interesting tale, and nicely anonymous, thank you.

3. Luka Melehan

Luka Melehan Certifiable
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Campaign Patron

*munches popcorn*

I love Hoff's stoies.

4. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I have to agree, good to see.

5. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

6. archiv

archiv Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

On and off the subject, is there still a use for the little blackrock pieces? I'm aware of how to use the larger ones but never found a use for the smaller ones. I have a couple (not near as many as that infected soul) and curious as to wether I should dump or keep them.
    Also, very well told indeed.

7. Petra Fyde

using the larger ones? as far as I know there's no current use for any blackrock, though I believe there have been hints that there will be in the future.

8. archiv

archiv Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

The larger ones had a set of magic words to go with them. Required gm magery I believe, set the rock on the ground and say the words and BOOM! I believe it was the Armageddon spell? though when I used it, it only seemed to damage me and nothing around me. May have just been a prod shard thing? Haven't tried it on SP since I have no magery or large pieces to test it on.

9. Petra Fyde

ahhh!
    actually you could cast Armageddon with any size of blackrock, I cast it several times on Europa with small rocks.

I don't think it's working now. It was also used in Moonglow rift to get the corrupted cloaks.

10. K'torr

K'torr Guest

Armageddon is definitely still working. Blew myself up just a few weeks ago.