1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

We have one-handed maces so why not one-handed axes?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Hunters' Moon, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Hunters' Moon

Hunters' Moon Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

I would like to see this implimented in the game. Make the hatchet a one-hander with the same damage mod/base swing speed as the simple mace.

2. Zayin666

Zayin666 Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Iam pretty sure one of the axes is onehanded... maybe the executioner??
    Iam not a swordsman/axer thou... so cant say for sure without checking :)

3. RichDC

RichDC Guest

I am 99.999999999% sure you are wrong,

The only "axe" that is one handed is the war-axe, which is a mace fighting weapon.

4. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

War axe would be the one Zayin has in mind, I think - quite good damage, and decent special moves, but very slow - but, of course, it's a mace weapon, despite being called an axe! You do have to wonder how that came about.

Probably the same reasoning that made a 'hatchet' a two-hander, the pickaxe a one-handed sword weapon, and means you 'fence' one-handed with a lance...

5. hen

hen Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Some bore will come on and tell you how war axes were used in the olden days to bash through leather and bone and that is why they are macing weapons.

6. hawkeye_pike

hawkeye_pike Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

All axes are two-handed.
    Typically, 2-handed weapons have a high base damage and a low swing speed. Which is not only logical, but also necessary for balancing. If you want a 1-handed swords weapon, there is a wide variety of weapons available. Why would you want a 1-handed axe?

7. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

If I remember from the old screencaps and stories of the truly ancient days of UO, hatchets were one-handed weapons during Beta. The hatchet is still relatively fast, compared to the other axes, and is the only one that is made by a tinker.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing that brought back, even if it meant lowering the damage value for the weapon.

8. Uh, you're the one that told us this....:eyes:

9. Smokin

Smokin Guest

Well if your a NPC you can hack and use a axe and shield. I have seen that before.

10. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

lmao :lol:

11. Zayin666

Zayin666 Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Iam sure you are right :)
    I just seemed to remember some sort of axe being onehanded.

12. kokopelli

kokopelli Guest

And dont forget that lumber bonus... 1h + lumber bonus + hand free for whatever = too much.

13. Basara

Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Kokopelli: Hence my suggestion that if Hatchets were made 1-handed, their base damage be reduced to where the lumber bonus would only make it equal to using similar non-axe 1-handed weapons.

14. RichDC

RichDC Guest

Think balanced bows...High base damage, slow (ish) speed and for all purposes 1handed.

Is that balanced???

Why shouldn't certain axes be one handed, mybe reduce the base damage a lil...although i didnt see them do that to bows

15. RichDC

RichDC Guest

That is just stupid, templates are too tight to fit lumber in at the moment and even if they where the damage inflicted by a heavy x-bow outweighs that of almost all axes even with lumber! heavies can be one handed...why cant axes?

16. deraiky

deraiky Guest

Ornate axes hit for like 60 hps in PvP... FYI

17. Risso

Risso Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

You can still find NPC fighters holding an axe and shield combo.

18. Tell that to Lynk. I think he'd disagree with you.

19. Warpig Inc

Warpig Inc Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Yes the War xe is the games only one handed weapon with bleed and armor ignore. Unless it has change it and a few other title axes in the game are not on the lumber jack bonus to DI.

It comes down to wanting a weapon that hits/does/has x special moves. With the ability to stone skills and the ease of raising weapon skills get them all and keep your options open. Never know what uber weapon you may get that an imbuer could never copy.

To bad the two handed weapons artwork on the paperdoll and avatar didn't hold axes two-handed. That ready for business stance/look.

20. RichDC

RichDC Guest

Never has for me unless the person has a crappy resist...although i never really tested it out. Only time i used it was on my sampire at harrowers when pushing out.

21. deraiky

deraiky Guest

with lumb and hitspell + crushing np

22. RichDC

RichDC Guest

Ah ok thats possible...however with the same skills as i have now a balanced(one handed) bow can hit for 50+ easy as well.

Thats without an additional 100skill points...AND the bow is one handed.

23. Lynk

Lynk Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

After some HCI/DCI/DI/+13 Skill/+13 Skill jewels:

120 Swords
    120 Tact
    120 Anat
    100 LJ
    90 Heal
    120 Bushido
    100 parry

Could easily swap out Bush/Parry with 120 resist and GM med, but Dexers are more of a threat than mages.

24. Scarst

Scarst Lore Master
    Governor Stratics Veteran

As long as were on the subject, How does a mace that isn't very aerodynamic have the same swing speed as a katana?

And I have looked in awhile, but I'm pretty sure a mace does more damage. I mean if it's going to go the same speed it needs lower damage.

25. Splup

Splup Guest

Talking about crappy weapons how about kama? 2 handed wep with 2s swingspeed and 9-11 damage... Compare that to kryss, bokuto etc...

Kryss:
    dmg 10-12
    one handed
    2s swing

26. mastodon

mastodon Guest

this irks me as well, spartans used a spear and a body shield,real kung fu fighters use 2 katanas, if it implies a penalty fine but it seems alot of the weapons we have are not as multi functional as we would all like, maybe next turn around when the devs are looking at adding new weps they can look at improving the ones we have or dont use like that funky crescent blade thing.
    as for the mace having a fast swing speed it could be its top heaviness instead of aerodynamics. ill take a sawz-all anyday

27. Hunters' Moon

Hunters' Moon Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

My axer doesn't have bushido and I think it has always looked nice in other games with an ax in one hand and a shield in another.

28. Basara

Err, no...

Kung Fu is a Chinese martial art, and katanas were swords that were used by elite Japanese warriors.

They might have used two Chinese Broadswords, but claiming that they used Katanas is like claiming that Japanese officers charged into battle with US Cavalry sabers....

29. flappy6

flappy6 Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

why not just add balance to all two handed weapons?i mean like it can be a property just like on bows......or did someone say that already

30. mastodon

mastodon Guest

i still want a sawz-all

31. sablestorm

sablestorm Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

They lose their shield when they start to fight.