1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

We really need the MyUO boards back.

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Aran, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Aran

Aran INFRACTION INFRACTION INFRACTION!
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend -A-

A forum under EA's direct control, staffed by EA's own choices, tied to accounts, just like the good old days.

Fan sites be fan sites, official forums be official forums, and never the two should meet.

2. Phaen Grey

Phaen Grey Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I honestly don't think EA can afford it right now... there are more important things to be spending resources on.

3. Cogniac

Cogniac Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

/agree

However, it will never happen. Even if EA was flush with money to afford such a thing, they would absolutely never do it when Stratics both hosts and hosts liability for free.

4. popps

popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I agree wholeheartedly.

I have had difficulties because posting on a fan site forum is not the same as that of an official forum.

I wished an official Forum for Ultima Online came back.

5. Mitzlplik_SP

Mitzlplik_SP Guest

Those official forums were rediculous. Post anything that wasn`t "inline" with the current direction of thinking and it was deleted and your account threatened. Your opinion didn`t matter if it didn`t go along with the majority.

Just another thing they were clueless about how to maintain.Alot like websites(uogamecodes.com) that sell their wares and the customer service(or lack thereof) that our monthly fee`s were supposed to cover after they were raised awhile back.

At least without EA in the mix things can get taken care of. Long live Stratics!! Been my home since Ultimaholic swore off them censored/no opinions here... official boards long ago. :thumbup1:

6. Sean

Sean Slightly Crazed

What a load of crap....

7. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

Sean's response was pretty much spot on. I have no memory whatsoever of what you seem to remember.

8. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

*smiles* Sean, I was just headed here to put in my 2 cents... I disagree with that comment as well.

9. Sean

Sean Slightly Crazed

Most sections of those boards were just fine. The Siege board was extremely rough, but hey that's Siege.

In the approximate 4 years that MYUO ran most folks that didn't follow the rules were handed 24 or 72 hour bans from the forums, over that time extremely few ever had their ingame account actioned. To do that required a lot of backup examples of disruptive behavior. Every action/write up of a poster was kept in a different area where Mods and Admin could accesss them and add to it if required.

10. Aran

You know it's kind of funny you say that about bans being handed out like candy, because I spent most of my time trolling and only ended up with maybe two 24 hour bans the entire time I posted there.

11. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Assuming we got it back, we don't need the shard specific forums. Just general discussion, a forum for bugs, and maybe the ideas den. But something tells me the idea posting could just as well end up in the general discussion.

12. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

Ha, I never got banned from MyUo.

And that says a lot...la

13. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Sillyfoot never banned me, but he did clobber me a few times! :stretcher:

14. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

Hm. You should check out IMDB.com, plenty to troll there :p. Just start a political/religious discussion in a new or popular film, such as Avatar, that will keep you busy.

15. Aran

I troll there, too.

16. Flora Green

Flora Green Guest

Agree re official forums, but they still left much to be desired.

17. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

One of the best thing with MyUO board was, we did not have alot inactive players posting there.

18. Lord Gareth

Lord Gareth UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
    Reporter Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RICO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. popps

popps Always Present

And fan sites are much better if I may ask ?

I could well be wrong, but I feel sometimes that there are some topics which get too easily censored when being debated for the better sake of the game.

Not to mention, that some posters sometimes derail a thread so that it gets either locked or moved elsewhere because of a discussion topic not liked.
    I can understand the censoring of individual posts which do not follow the rules, but I cannot understand harming an entire thread because a few posters derailed it, perhaps on purpose to get that argument shut down.

I think having official Forums would be a good thing for discussing game related issues, criticism of design choices and suggestions to improve the game.

Besides, and it should tell something about it, I do not recall having any of my threads or posts in MYUO be locked, moved to Rants or deleted. Hell, I never even got a warning there !!!

My personal experience of some fan sites forums' has instead been quite different, unfortunately, even though my posting style has been moreless the same.........

20. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

I think, first, we need UOHerald to display news before UO Stratics gets the news. They cater to Stratics before their own site, so obviously, Mythic prefers fan sites right now.

Next, we need a fix for some of the MyUO features, like for example, how long before skill images are fixed when looking at players' paperdoll profiles under the guild database?

For example, Animal Taming, according to the database, is supposed to be:

http://guide.uo.com/skills/35g.gif

Now, that image is at http://my.uo.com/images/skills/35g.gif -- is that a job harder than using a notepad and CTRL + H-ing to replace the string "http://guide.uo.com/skills/" with "http://my.uo.com/images/skills/"?

And why isn't there a search box on the main UOHerald page?

Tons of things for their Web Development team to focus on before they reinstate message boards.

21. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

erm, where did Stratics get the news before uoherald?

22. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

Sometimes UO Herald posts here on UHall before an update to UOHerald.com is what I mean

23. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

hehe, no, not possible. UOHerald posts on here are an rss feed from UOHerald.com. The only [news] that I'm aware of that hit the boards before it hit UOHerald was the publish announcement and that didn't come from Mythic, it came from me logging in to Europa, finding it was live and deciding someone better tell the rest of the playerbase, or at least as much of it as I could reach.

24. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

Ah okay. Shrugs, I could have sworn that when the last publish hit, I read about it on Stratics way before UOHerald. Maybe I'm going crazy. First it was dropped via Japan though.

25. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie

I enjoyed their being both the official forums and the fansites, but doubt EA will want to spend any money at all running or managing a forum, so sadly it will not happen in the forseeable future.

One thing does bother me though -

Not exactly - they prefer one fan site, admittedly the biggest, but since the staff changes this is the only place they seem to speak to. Perhaps someone needs reminding about the rest of the web as well, just speaking to one set of fans may be the cheapest way to go but ignoring the rest - and that's 'ignoring' quite literally, several have not even been able to get responses to email since Chrissay left. That's just plain bad business sense as well as outright bad manners, at least tell people 'sorry but we don't talk to anyone other than Stratics', rather than ignore fans and hope they go away - because if you do, there's a fair chance they will go away and take their subscriptions with them. I doubt anyone comes to play UO 'because it's run by EA/Mythic', but there have been people leave for that reason....

The player community is not just here, no matter how convenient or cheap it may seem to EA to act as if it were.

26. Sean

Sean Slightly Crazed

That's because you were never late with the gold!! :stir:

27. Aran

Get out of here stalker.

28. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

*stalks more* no...la