1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Wednesday: Opening of the Aeric Horn Memorial

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Kat, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

[​IMG]

We invite you join us as we dedicate the memorial building, created in memory of our friend, leader and comrade, Aeric Horn.

This wednesday is the one year mark since the passing of our friend, Cliff Allen, the player behind the characters Aeric Horn and Ginsu. During this past year, we have mourned his loss, but this week, we celebrate him in the world which we met and enjoyed him.

During the past year we have been working on the logistics, location, decoration and ways to memorialize the years he spent on Siege. Many members of this community have donated their time and effort, collaborated, contributed ideas, along with various bits and pieces of memorabilia which, as a whole, we now share with the Siege community. Additional items will be added as they become available, as well.

We hope you will join us.

2. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Visitor

Truly missed...

3. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

If anyone would like to share stories, memories or any other messages, feel free to share them here. :)

4. Fabienne

Fabienne Guest

I regret that I will be unable to attend.
    Please take some screenshots if you can, I would love to see them.

Although I will not be there in the virtual world, please know that I am there in my heart and thoughts.

Cliff and I traveled many worlds together, UO, SWG, CoH, Second Life & WoW... which has left me with some very cherished memories. I hold onto them closely.

Bright blessings to you all.

Love,
    Severina

RIP my friend. I miss you.

5. Lord_Puffy

Lord_Puffy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Yea he was one of the only non bias'd players... He never judged anyone outside of his 1 on 1 experiences with them.

Truely one of a kind and will not be forgotten.

6. I saved most of his stories on another computer, darn it.

However, there is one that I managed to find here amongst the rubble:

7. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Thanks for sharing that Dor. If you ever get around to copying any of those stories please let me know.

8. Castor

Castor Guest

i will be unable to attend but here is a bump for cliff and for first page justice.

9. Fabienne

Fabienne Guest

Thank you for finding those old threads Dor. Sometimes I just sit here and re-read the ICQ logs between Cliff and I. I look to see what we were talking about on that day in years past. It always brings a smile to my face and sometimes tears too.

10. From Last Victory (RP story) by Ginsu March 3, 2006

11. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

[​IMG]

The Legend of The Slaughtered Lamb Tavern

Written by: Aeric Horn

Many years ago.... before the falling of the leaves, there was a small but happy
    village known as Stonehaven. The citizens of this little hamlet spent their
    days toiling at their crafts, and their evenings in friendly fellowship. The
    center of activity was The Slaughtered Lamb Tavern. This was the place
    where all community meetings were held, and the only place for miles to
    get a cold ale. For generations the people of Stonehaven lived happily...
    sunrise to sunset... cradle to the grave, life went on.

Then one terrible day an evil creature descended on the tiny village. This menace
    took many forms and could speak to people's minds, and not with a voice as you
    and I do. His voice was loud, but only inside ones's mind. He had a power
    beyond anything that even the most accomplished magicians of the town could
    comprehend.

The Evil One proceeded to set brother against brother, sister against mother...
    until finally there were but a few survivors. These few people had been the most
    resistant to the mind control. They holed up in the Slaughtered Lamb and decided
    to fight for their home.

At first the Evil One was amused by the resistance... until he realized that he
    had not as much power over the few people who remained. Then he became
    enraged... his anger was so strong that houses crumbled when he moved past
    them, trees ignited in flames, animals of all kinds ran in fright as they would from
    a wildfire. Yet the brave survivors stood their ground inside the solid walls of The
    Slaughtered Lamb.

When the Evil One came to the entrance of the tavern he burst into maniacal
    laughter which shook almost everything off the walls and tables inside the tavern.
    The people inside looked at each other with wide eyes as this was the first time they
    had heard this creature's voice. An elder of the village, one of the few
    remaining knights of the ancient order...Krill Hatchett, made his way to
    the doorway. The vision that met him struck him with terror and despair
    as he looked into eyes of evil and the ruins of Stonehaven which lay
    behind them.

"BE GONE FOUL BEAST!" Krill shouted.

The hovering, shrouded figure only leered at Krill with evil burning eyes.

Krill's voice strained as he began to feel choked by the palpable evil that
    eminated from the wraithlike menace. "What is yer name!?"

The creature hissed "Would a fishy ask a turtle's name just before he's eaten?"

"I am no fish... and ye are no turtle! I would know yer name! I am Krill Hatchett
    protector of this village!"

"You've done a FINE job thus far Krill Hatchett!" as the creature erupted in
    another round of earth-shaking laughter. "You may call me Althantos for the short
    time you have remaining...fishy." giggling with the laughter of several small
    children.

A small boy ran to Krill's side, one arm wrapped tightly around Krill's leg.
    "Go away, and leave my grandpa alone!" the child screamed through terrified tears.

"Hilda! Take Aeric to the kitchen with the others! Aeric! Ye MUST stay with
    your mother now... everything will be fine." Krill swatted at his grandson as he
    scampered away, never taking his eyes off Althantos.

"Will it Krill? Will everything be fine?" Althantos mocked.

"What do ye want with us Althantos?"

"Sacrifice" the shrouded figure whispered.

"What was that?"

"SACRIFICE!!!" Althantos bellowed loud enough to force Krill to one knee.

"Have we not given enough already? Ye have destroyed our village, and most of
    our people... is it not enough?" Krill wept, as he envisioned his own sweet wife
    Serra driven insane by this monster.

"YE have given nothing!" spit Althantos "I have TAKEN what you have lost so
    far... so that you might know my power. Now I require sacrifice, or I shall finish
    the rest of you here and now."

"What sort of sacrifice?" asked Krill

"I require one life.... perhaps the young lad who spoke so insolently to me ?"

"Never! We will not sacrifice one of our remaining souls to ye! Ye've taken
    enough!"

"Ahh! But you really have no choice now do you Krill!?" And with that Althantos
    whirled high into the air, and as he did the roof of the tavern ripped apart and
    disenegrated... exposing the remaining people like helpless mice trapped in a jar.

"I REQUIRE SACRIFICE OR IT IS THE END FOR YOU ALL!" Now the voice was inside
    all of their heads, but as loud as thunder.

Krill ran to the others just in time to see his grandson lifted into the air.

"I shall start with this child, Krill Hatchett, unless you would choose another..."

Krill looked up, tears streaking his blackened face. He let out a long mournful wail
    that Aeric would remember the rest of his life. "I will be yer sacrifice fiend!" Krill
    shouted to the sky.

Aeric was gently set down next to his mother, who clutched him to her trembling
    breast. Krill knelt down, and hugged them both.. then speaking to the group, he
    said "What I do now, I do so ye may live. Do not stop me... only remember me
    by living with honor."

Hilda tried to speak, but Krill only hushed his daughter with a kiss.. then stood proudly
    before them for a moment, and then turned. He walked over to the one remaining
    object that still hung on the walls of the tavern, the ancient Sword of Myth. He
    took it down, felt it's weight, and it's power. He then walked to the front yard of
    the Slaughtered Lamb.

"I give myself Althantos!" And with that Krill fell on his sword.

The earth shook violently and something like vapor was pulled from Krill's lifeless
    body to the hovering fiend above. Althantos began to glow brighter and brighter
    until no one could stand to look at the light.... and then he was gone.

The small band of survivors clung together, scraping out a meager living
    from the scarred land around them. Aeric grew strong, and awaited the
    day when he might avenge his grandfather's brave sacrifice. ​

12. Ibichi

Ibichi Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

My thoughts are with all of you today. It is hard to believe a year has past so quickly.

Please post pictures since I have no way of attending.

13. From [News] Tuesday Tales - Valentine Edition February 15th, 2006:

14. DebiHIS

DebiHIS Guest

this book is locked down on the front steps of my house, by the candle :).

The Suspicious Grasshopper
    Long ago...in old Stonehaven, when I was just a bug...a valuable lesson was taught to me by an unlikely teacher.
    In those days Stonehaven was very different than it is now; hills, water where the void is now, much laughter. Now it is a dry and broken land...inhabited by evil ones...but that is a story for another night.
    Stonehaven is the village of my birth. When I was a very young boy...my mother, Hilda, would wake me early in the morning to begin my chores and studies. In my sixth year, as the seasons began to change from Fall to Winter, I remember awaking one morning and looking out the window.
    My bed was closest to the fireplace, and the window by my bed looked out past the stone chimney to the sea. I could sit for hours and gaze out at the water...something so intriquing about an endless horizon. I was sitting mesmerized...watching the fog lift away when a small bit of motion on the chimney drew my attention.
    Hidden against the old gray stone of the chimney was the largest grasshopper I had seen in all my six years! As any young boy...I was fascinated by insects...I rushed outside to get a closer look, getting very close...interested in every shiny, spikey, armored detail. The grasshopper waved his antennae at me and then...to my surprise...he spoke!
    "Fine weather we're havin... wouldn't ya say!?"
    I was more than a little surprised...but only as a young child is...who doesn't know that magic is out of the ordinary. "Yes mister Hopper! But momma says Winter is coming soon." "Winter? Hmmph! What be this Winter?" "It gets very cold, and all the leaves fall from the trees." "It was cooler than normal last night...but I have found this warm place. I am the oldest grasshopper in the meadow...I have never seen this thing called Winter."
    "It is coming... it will get very cold. You should come inside with me so you will be safe." I said. "Nonsense! You are trying to trap me with an old wive's tale! One step closer and I will hop away!"
    So I left the grasshopper alone. But each morning I went out to talk to him...to try to convince him to come inside, to no avail.
    Every night... it grew a bit colder... until finally one morning I was awoken by my very excited mother, "Aeric! Wake up! It's snowing!"
    I jumped up and wiped the condensation from the window by my bed. The familiar view was completely changed...the long horizon across the sea was gone, replaced by large feathery snowflakes. Mister Hopper!
    I ran out to the chimney...still in my bare feet, and nightshirt...my mother running screaming behind me. I looked to the spot where Mister Hopper had clung for weeks...he was gone.
    I knelt and brushed some snow away...and there he was, still and lifeless. My mother quieted when she saw the small creature...and that I had tears in my eyes. "He wouldn't come inside momma!"
    "What do you mean Aeric?" "He didn't believe in Winter...and thought he'd be safe on the chimney." Hilda looked at her son quietly for a moment...worrying that he was touched in the head...but decided that he just had a very vivid imagination.
    "Son...some creatures never prepare for the cold. But the cold always comes eventually." We buried Mister Hopper... and I have remembered his lesson to this day. The cold wind eventually blows on us all."​

15. DebiHIS

DebiHIS Guest

I will try to make it this evening, hope to be home!
    Any screenies would be great, wow, a year already!

16. AEowynSP

AEowynSP Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Ibby if no one else offers I can let you log onto one of my accounts to look around. It is truly an incredible memorial and being able to "touch" some of the things he had made and just sit quietly thinking of him is an experience I would not want to deny anyone.

17. Scuzzlebutt

Scuzzlebutt Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thought I would post a couple pics for those unable to view it in game.

18. Krystal

Krystal Sage
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

these are pics from earlier, next get together is in 45 min. 9pm est

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. AEowynSP

AEowynSP Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Beautiful. I also created a LOL for him in the cat thread... I hope it is enjoyed.

20. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Note to visitors: There are books located on the top floor of the memorial for those who wish to leave a message of remembrance. The building will remain open to the public after tonight's ceremony, so anyone who is unable to attend can visit and leave messages as they can.

21. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Thank you all.

22. Skylark SP

Skylark SP Available Storage: 0
    Stratics Veteran

From the evening dedication ceremony.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of the features of the memorial

Recall rune to where the town hall of Amity was located near Minoc. My "clinic" was located south of the town hall, which was my first house on Siege, and given to me by Aeric.
    [​IMG]

KIN (The Kindred) guild stone.
    [​IMG]

Items bearing the famous Ginsu mark
    [​IMG]

Character statue of Ginsu
    [​IMG]

A display created at the request of Mac of KSS...he had some of his first PvP tips from Aeric after arriving on Siege. Angharad of KSS shares some fond memories while reading the book.
    [​IMG]

The memorial has other community resources, such as a complete T-map location library, rune library for useful locations such as dungeon entrances, towns, and for the human to elf quest. There are also public dye tubs, and a forge & anvil in the garden area.

Guest books for signing and sharing thoughts, are located on the roof.

-Skylark

23. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

24. Krystal

Krystal Sage
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

i was upset i missed the second one:( bad storms in Philly left the electricity out for around 2hrs grrrrrr :(

25. Blind Otto

Blind Otto Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I have it worse than ye, Krystal. Incompetance by the minions who run the local power station left me with one working PC (which was at the back of a cupboard)... a 486DX with 64MB RAM, and Windown 98 SE.
    NOT really ideal for UO - although I did just notice an old copy of Ultima IV on it. At least the minions have agreed that it was all their fault, and are paying for damages.

Still, I am sorry I missed the opening. I will be sure to visit once I am back up to full speed.

Rest easy, Aeric. We won't forget you.

26. Rest easy, Blind Otto. All of KSS was there in spirit.

*smiles*

27. Fabienne

Fabienne Guest

Thank you for the screenshots.

The memorial is beautiful....

28. Patty Pickaxe

Patty Pickaxe Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Only two hours! You're lucky! Our power was out from 8:30pm until 5am!

*returns thread back to topic*

29. Leaf

Leaf Sage
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

I'm with you Krystal. I made it to the memorial house and then everything went black. The whole town was without electricity till well after midnight. No air conditioner---uggh

30. Ibichi

Ibichi Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

I am so glad to see the pictures, it really looks great. Congrats to those that had a part in setting this up.

Aeowyn thank you so much for your offer but I do not have UO installed on this computer. This is the first time I wish I still had it just to visit the Memorial.

31. DebiHIS

DebiHIS Guest

It's a great place, was able to go later, and sign a book.
    I could copy my book that has the grasshopper story in it, if you are collecting stories.
    Man....I missed the cake, lol.

32. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present

It was quite lovely many thanks to those of you whom helped build, decorate, and perserveered to get this remarkable memorial done. I still miss him as well.

33. Skylark SP

Skylark SP Available Storage: 0
    Stratics Veteran

QZ,

I love the special cake that you made for me! :)

@Debi: yes we would love to add any books with Aeric's stories or stories about him to the memorial.

-Skylark

34. DebiHIS

DebiHIS Guest

Kewl, i will make a copy of the book, and PM you about delivery!

35. SpyderBite

SpyderBite Sage
    Stratics Veteran VCS

Didn't have time last week to log in so I was unable to attend. Looks like it was a lovely ceremony. Good job to those who organized it.

Cheers, Aeric Horn.
    "It's better to burn out, then to fade away"

36. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present

Glad ye like the special cake for you Skylark.

You are always making something special for many of us, thought for once someone should make something special for you. I still have nearly every special cake that you engraved for my Miranda even the one ye made for her knighting to KSS. . and an older cake from Iantown Halloween.

Actually some of the engraved cakes upon Siege are a trip down memory lane as well.. and many of those YOU created for folks here on Siege. Bout time ye got a special one, made just FOR your self ! :)