1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

What are you doing?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by DuttyD, Dec 14, 2008.

1. DuttyD

DuttyD Guest

In preparation for SA, and upcoming patch?
    Are you holding back on selling your armor & weps, or trying to get rid of em?
    Are you building a new char type, thinking it will work well in SA?
    etc

2. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Considering which one of my crafters will turn Gargoyle...... Not really sure which it will be just yet.

Other than that..... I haven't really done much...... I am hoping that they add good stuff to the house custom menu.... but maybe that's wishfull thinking on my part.

I'm hoping for a lot I guess. Like to look at the new graphics and all...

As for the upcoming patch I'm thanking my lucky stars that once again being a horder is seriously paying off!

3. Maplestone

Maplestone Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I've decided not to make any deliberate preparations ... I'm going to just take things as they come.

As much as I want to get in on the "new content gold rush", I'd also like to take my time and savor the RP/fiction of meeting gargoyles, earning their trust and working out character concepts into my little community of characters.

4. Hunters' Moon

Hunters' Moon Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

On the PvM side I am hunting for weapons where the only mod on them is a slayer so I can imbue them with what I want. Other than that I have been mining/LJ'ing/fishing my heart out to get the gems that will be needed to do some of the imbueing.

5. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Nothing, for various reasons.

I am, however, looking forward to replica-hunting in between Shadowlord Invasions.

Some invasions are profitable (Orc invasion, during the "Savage Empire" scenario; Magincia Invasion) and some are not (Juka Invasion; this one). The latter category needs to be financed. The Juka Invasion was financed by Earth Elementals, this one hopefully by replicas!

-Galen's player

6. J0KING

J0KING Guest

Since I am really looking forward to the new crafting changes, I have been hording loot... anything with 50% or above or a superslayer...

In between the hording... looking forward to playing the events as they come out...

Have Fun!!!

7. DuttyD

DuttyD Guest

I look most forward to crafting changes.

8. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Doin nothing :p
    Not yet anyway, heck, I'm probably the only player who still hasnt made an elf!! :D

9. I am doing as I always do for a new exp, nothing till it comes out then will do what is needed. I hope that when it does come out its at a time of year we can buy it. That one year they came out in December really ruin any chances of purchasing any UO stuff. And we ended up waiting till Game.code came out selling tokens that could get what we wanted.

10. Kariny

Kariny UO Lake Superior News Reporter
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Nothing.

I'm from Missouri. You have to show me the real deal before I believe it.

11. laurlo

laurlo Guest

I am not doing anything

12. Gildar

Gildar Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Training a blacksmith... I'd be doing that anyway, but I'm working ever so slightly faster at it (probably hit 120 by the end of next year, as opposed to 2 years from now). I'm at least going to wait until I learn stuff from the beta before doing anything even close to significant to change my playstyle.

13. DuttyD

DuttyD Guest

cant wait for Beta.

million dollar question, when is it?

14. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

You know, your post makes me realize that I was wrong, I technically am doing something to prepare for Imbuing, even though I have no crafter of my own.

I'm trying to keep high-damage invasion weapons with 40+ SSI. The odds of my using them are pretty small, but they feel like ideal ingredients for imbuing.

And if not, I'm sure I'll be able to sell them all for 30k+ each, minimum. Fortunes are sometimes made from small sales that add up.

-Galen's player

15. Maplestone

Maplestone Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

"We’re preparing both the New UO client and the first completely playable level to internal testers next week."

One down, seven to go?

16. Gildar

Gildar Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

For the folks that work at EA.
    If one level is complete... I'd bet we've got another month or two (leaning towards two, because of the holiday) at least before non-EA beta testers are allowed in.

17. drinkbeerallday

drinkbeerallday Visitor

studying the effects it will have on PvP/Felucca content.

18. Tazar

Tazar Guest

Preparations?

New Skills: 2 Open Character Slots to start the three new skills at 50.

Gargoyle:
    1.) Open character slot for gargoyle - Check.
    2.) A full set of Power-Scrolls in stock for him - Check.
    3.) Soulstoned Skills available for immediate use - Check.

A day or so training up stats and he'll be ready to go.

Crafting:
    1.) Tons of small items to disassemble for Imbuing gains - CHeck.
    2.) Lots of nicer items to disassemble for Ingredients to Imbue with - Check.
    3.) Runic Hammers and other kits - Check
    4.) Stock of Ingots and Wood - Check.
    5.) Stock of known ingredients (lowest is 1500 firtle dirt). Check
    6.) Stock of Stone - Pending.

Almost ready!

19. DuttyD

DuttyD Guest

Tazar, one question.... How are you prepared when you never play anymore?!

Are you hiding on ICQ? :(

-Rat

20. NuSair

NuSair Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I've cleaned out one of my 18x18's and am using that to hoard items.

Mostly I've been keeping items with 100% intensity effects; like night sight, ubws, slayer, or picking up the invasion stuff people have started tossing on the ground. Also, I've been focusing on the archers in the invasion to get their bows.

As for characters stuff, I've skilled up another crafter. And to go off topic for a second, it's really sad. I skilled up a fletcher in 1 day. Just over 9 hours, I went from 0 skill to GM.

When SA goes live, I will be creating a new char and stoning the skills onto him. And then work on getting imbueing up.

21. Harlequin

Harlequin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I have already decided which of my crafters will mutate into a gargoyle :)

Have a stockpile of items waiting to be unravelled /imbued and a ton of low end runics I finally can put to good use. What can I say, I'm a packrat!

I am actually enjoying the lull now to play fallout 3, been dying to play since it was released hehe

22. eric23

eric23 Guest

Waiting like everyone else is atm .... to log in.

23. hawkeye_pike

hawkeye_pike Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I'm thinking about quitting UO when it becomes even more item-based.

24. Maplestone

Maplestone Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Out of curiosity, what sort of experiences do you enjoy? Do you desire rewards of any sort to motivate you? Or is it purely the interaction with other players you enjoy? Do you prefer a changing or steady-state world?

25. Tazar

Tazar Guest

I still play - daily! (although work has been cramping things the last couple of weeks) I got a new computer and can't remember the ICQ password, so it sits on the 2nd computer. While it is not on all the time anymore, I do check daily! Hollar anytime!

26. Farsight

Farsight Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I made a deal with some friends.

When the time comes, I'll gather items as quickly as they can unravel and imbue them. In exchange, I get the weapon/armor of my choice when they're ready.

I'll make no crafter of my own, but I'm glad to support my friends who are crafters.

Apart from that, I'll do nothing to prepare besides pay attention to what's coming.

27. Fink

Fink Guest

I've cleaned out a castle and an 18x18 for hoarding items, I think I freed up around 3500 lockdowns.

I've been farming items for unravelling & imbuing while I train my dragon and my discordance on swoop.

I've started sorting those items by unravelling value, and setting aside the items that I wish to keep and imbue.

I've already got a good stash of resources, low-end runic hammers & sewing kits, just basically organised those.

When I near my storage limit I might try for runic fletching kits, or buy some up.

I'm thinking of getting the 7th character & storage upgrades for my second account. I'll hold off and see what tokens or package deals are offered when SA comes out. Not sure if I'll make a gargoyle as my planned artificer is an existing human character. I can't really get excited about mysticism, interested but not enough to pursue it.

28. hawkeye_pike

Stratics Veteran

There's not only black and white. I prefer a sensible balance of all. I LIKE ITEMS, TOO! BUT: There can be rewards, but they should not unbalance the game. There can be items, but they should not make one player superior over the other. There should be artifacts, but they should not penalize the casual player.

I prefer a game that does not force the player into a certain playing style. UO currently forces you into mindbogglingly tedious crafting in order to get runic kits, or it forces you into running to Doom and Peerless all the time in order to get good artifacts. If you do neither, you can just forget about PvP, and you can forget about ever being able to fight dangerous creatures and participating in most events (like the Shadow Invasion).

Of course, you can always say that nobody forces me to do all that. But then, 90% of the (especially new and interesting) game content will not be accessible for me.

There's not ONE thing I enjoy. I enjoy ALL the facets of the game. PvM, PvP, crafting, housing, adventuring, guilds, community, soloing, Trammel and Felucca. However, to really be able to enjoy all those, I am forced to enter the crazy item-treadmill. I decided to wear only simple GM-made armor on my main character. Being equipped like that I can forget about participating in many features of the game (PvP, peerless, game events, Felucca, etc.)

My point is: UO has changed into a 100% item-based game. Which results in:
    • People being bored by standard game content, due to their uber equipment, and demanding higher level content.
    • People asking for newer and better items. After they get them, they're bored again and continue to ask for higher level content.
    • People are forced to hunt for items most of their time in order to compete, and thus neglect the community aspect of the game.
    • In the end, the dying of the communities. Today, most guilds just exist as a community of interest to hunt Peerless, go to Doom, or count their gold together, in the most efficient way possible.

This development slowly but steadily ruins what once made UO special.

29. Maplestone

Maplestone Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

It's very difficult to find a balance between a motivation and a treadmill.

I still like to start characters off with GM spined leather suits (or, with the runic changes, get a low-end ruinc or two and go for a 100% LRC suit for a mage), but there's a limit to what I can do.

I'm surprised you find the invasions a problem - they to me are a good example of how you can bootstrap yourself to better equipment quickly. Just looting a few abandoned general corpses or the "junk" off a crimson should quickly get you a decent PvM suit.

I can't speak to peerless, but I see them as group content, so if you're a casual player, isn't it just a question of finding a set of people willing to take you along?

I can't speak to PvP either, although UO doesn't seem to have a concept of "low-end PvP" aside from a couple of "classic dueling guilds" I've seen people organize from time to time that only allow non-runic/non-ML crafted equipment (at one point last year, my main source of income was GM suits sold on my vendor).

I have suggested a few times having a region of the game (a dungeon or a new land) where you were severely limited in what equipment/resources/pets you could bring in and no magic items would drop, effectively creating a "classic corner" where equipment didn't matter (although it still wouldn't be "fair" in any sense since skill balance has been tweaked on the assumption of equipment existing).

30. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

Playing my thief...duh...la

31. hawkeye_pike

Stratics Veteran

Have you ever tried to fight a Vanguard, a General, a Fetid Essence, a Fallen Warrior,a Crimson Dragon, with a GM-made non-runic leather suit and a GM-made weapon? You die in 5 seconds. The junk from Generals doesn't help much in this case.

Of course, Peerless are group content. I don't want to solo them! But when I go with a group in standard equipment, I do not even do enough damage to get looting rights, should I even survive the trip.

That's my point. Without uber equipment you're left out of 90% of the game content.

32. Harlequin

Harlequin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

For warrior types, aye, they are going to have a hard time. Mages and tamers might be able to get by a little easier though. Coz the basic need is a just a 100% LRC suit. My stealth mage has resists in the 20s-30s :D

33. Aran

Aran INFRACTION INFRACTION INFRACTION!
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend -A-

I'm slowly moving toward being 100% sure that I'm quitting.

34. DuttyD

DuttyD Guest

I am thinking that SA is not going to make this game any worse.

And they aimed for this game to be item based when they made armor/weps with random props. Sure in WoW, and WAR you want the best items possible but, at least you have an even chance of getting them in those games.