1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

What Can Governors "Do"

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Endal, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Endal

Endal Journeyman

I don't mean this in some snarky way, I actually want to know what the extent of our powers are.

I know the basic things that we can do with the stones and the boards and the voting boxes... but what I want to know is what can we suggest to happen.

At our meeting last week I asked for some of the trees to be cleared from Jhelom's moongate and for a small park to be put in, I got a no. Several of the governors from Yew and other costal cities are asking for a dock and are getting a "maybe"... what are we actually allowed to DO with our Governor title, or is this all just something that's a nothing.

I couldn't even get some trash barrels placed at my docks (Jhelom has four docks) and was given a chance to get one at our bank... sort of defeats the purpose I think. What's the problem with having a bunch of trash cans? It's all supposed to be a gimick anyway, so there shouldn't be any harm in it.

Is there a way that we can get a list of what we can actually do as Governors please? Again, I don't mean titles and city perks and whatnot, I mean what we can request of our EMs/King. No point in planning something if they are just going to say "nope, not gonna' do that."

2. Aran

Aran INFRACTION INFRACTION INFRACTION!
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend -A-

Complain on Stratics a lot, by the look of things. Doesn't appear they can do a whole lot.

kaiya_uo likes this.
  3. Kylie Kinslayer

Kylie Kinslayer Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

For those who are wondering... I would check this thread and go from there... Great advise in there. While it seems to be written from an "Atlantic" approach, I would imagine the same holds true for the rest of the shards.

#3 Kylie Kinslayer, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
    Lady Khaleesi and EM_Bennu like this.
  4. Promathia

Promathia EM Bennu Fanclub
    Premium Stratics Veteran

5. Kylie Kinslayer

Kylie Kinslayer Grand Inquisitor

6. Speranza

Speranza Slightly Crazed

I don't think we will get a list, because the EMs don't know themselves. This kind of sucks... a lot... We are doing a decorations around our towns on Chesapeake. Vesper is getting some new flowers and a fountain (Inspired by changes already in place in Atlantic), Magincia is getting/got road signs, Trinsic is getting an outdoor market (not like Magincia's), and all cities are getting guards. HOWEVER, EMs on other servers have explicitly said no decorations.

So my assumption is they won't know themselves, at least until they ask the Developers :D. I have been encouraged by my EMs to ask for anything as long as it has an RP context to and have even had one of my ideas shot down due to RP reasons (and I learned a lot about Minoc in the process). From what I can tell, other EMs have flat out denied things on other servers.

Also, I got the impression that removing things is a BILLION times hard than adding things. Why you couldn't get trash cans? I don't know.. But removing trees is something difficult that they probably aren't willing to do for "just one shard" since it will probably require a patch. So good luck!

Something I will be engaging my EMs about the next time I see them online, and you should as well, would be for us to get a standardized document on our limitations as a governor player representative across all shards. Mostly because I don't want to find out that the tiny pieces of things we have been granted turn out to be "not allowed" and removed. I'd also like to see all the shards be entitled to the same amount of benefits that I have enjoyed.

Lady Khaleesi, Bianca_CoD and Endal like this.
  7. Aran

Aran INFRACTION INFRACTION INFRACTION!
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend -A-

To remove a tree involves altering the map file. That's a static object. Dev time vs GM/EM power time.

8. neptune1369

Stratics Veteran

Bianca_CoD likes this.
  9. Ray_Martin

Ray_Martin Journeyman

Chessy seems to have good EMs. I love my time there. Like Victor said... they had guards added and there was a nice RPish element to it. We got to see Blackthorn and he introduced the new guards and provided guards to train them. The armor was chosen by the governors. I think Victor let Blacksmiths provide pieces but he didn't ask my toon VOW like he promised. :loser:

Bianca_CoD likes this.
  10. Speranza

Speranza Slightly Crazed

I haven't asked anybody yet technically, I need to poke the EMs about when they need that.... (slacking I know!)

11. Lady CaT

Lady CaT Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

I seem to remember EMs on Chesapeake saying that requests were more likely to be considered by the King if they benefited the citizens of your town. Also along with that it was stressed that EMs have very limited powers. So things that required a developer to get done would be less likely to get done since developers tend to be very busy. But things that could be accomplished by locking down a simple item is more likely to occur since that is within the EM's limited powers.

So for example building a dock that extends in the sea, clearing forests, adding large buildings might require a developer and be less likely to occur.

However locking down simple items like plants, lamp posts, tables, chairs, and other type items etc.. might be more likely to occur in a town, since the EMs seem to have the ability to lock things down. There was some question whether this would include deeded items since they lock down differently and perhaps this includes things like trash barrels that empty.

Again remembering EMs are mostly for roleplaying and have very limited powers.

I certainly don't know if this helps people when planning their events as governor or even whether it applies to all shards.

Sean and kelmo like this.
  12. neptune1369

Stratics Veteran

well that's nice our EM's told us that they are not allowed to lock down plant's or anything else.

13. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

It is a work in progress.

Sean and EM_Bennu like this.
  14. Dot_Warner

Dot_Warner Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Britain [BRIT]

Right now, governors can set a trade deal (that they generally have to pay for themselves), take a yes/no poll, hand out titles, manage a bulletin board and RP with the King. That's about it.

15. Lord Lew

Lord Lew Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

As Governor if Trinsic I have done all that you have said, but that truly is not "about it".

I have gathered citizens, rallied support, and added content to my shard. I have made new friends, shared many laughs and witnessed quite enough Drama. But then I have not looked at this system for things that it can give me, rather I look at what I can do for my shard through the system.

Rather than grasping for deco, or a trash can, try dreaming up an event and running it regardless of receiving any help. If you give your EM a detailed account of what you plan to do, you may be surprised at what happens. For instance, we had a trade war erupt between New Magencia and Vesper. In response my trade minister and I decided to provide Vesper with fine rum after learning that the Governor of New Magencia was re-labeling our corn whiskey purchased in Trinsic and selling it to vesper. We drafted an email to our EM, and provided the items needed to create a distillery near the Docks of Trinsic. We hoped that it would be set up so that we could host the a governor of Vesper and her minister of trade, for a tour of our facilities. We were pleased one day when we found that our distillery was in place, and we set our plan in motion. But we also had a plan in place to move forward either way. As for the longevity of our distillery, that is up to the powers that be. It's not about the end result, it's the journey along he way that matters.

So put some thought into your Governorships, have fun with it. Bring content and events of your own creation to your shard. If you don't feel this is something you can do, or are supposed to do, step down. Allow someone else the chance to run with their vision. This system is one that can enhance each shard, but will take creative minds to help it grow.

16. Dot_Warner

Dot_Warner Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Britain [BRIT]

Endal asked what governors can do, not what "any player who puts their mind to it" can do. ANY player can add content by running an event, its not unique to the governor system by any means.

Also, EM involvement outside the council meetings seems to vary wildly from shard to shard. Previous requests for locked down items or books to help with player events on GL have been denied as being "against the rules."

Shakkara likes this.
  17. Jerec KTM

Jerec KTM Journeyman

You had me up until this part below...

It's a lot easier to do this when you are on a shard that has the 'other EM rulebook'.

Not to be confrontational, but I think it might be a little tad overboard to tell others to step down if they can't do what you are doing. Especially when there are other shards that don't have the same rulebook as yours. As Dot Warner says...

#17 Jerec KTM, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
    Shakkara and Flagg like this.
  18. Ray_Martin

Ray_Martin Journeyman

Which Shard are you on Jerec? I bet a quick visit to WBB will show a similarity in our EM rules. :) How are you wording requests? It may not be what you're asking for but how you're asking for it.

19. Tazar

Tazar Guest

It is also not what you ask for - but how you tie it into events that are going on. As to Lew's statement above - 90%+ of what has been done on Atlantic was done without EM Support or locked down items.

I know we have a rule here about "No Real-Life Politics" - but I am going to skirt the issue. You have been elected to a political position. Are you going to rally the people and get out and make something happen (Good or bad - that's Role-playing), or are you going to sit on your hands complaining that others aren't doing for you? Are you going to be the one who creates fun, or are you going to be the one sitting back waiting for others to serve you breakfast on a silver-platter?

20. Bianca_CoD

Bianca_CoD Sage
    Stratics Veteran CoD

Well I am doing a lot for my shard, and so is my guild leader, to help rally the involvement of our shard's citizens in our efforts for the governorship system. Its not that we're sitting here complaining because we're not getting "decorations"... look past that. Its the fact that we're not being communicated to about what is being read, discussed, or managed for our shard. We do not have a "discourse or primer" like EM Bennu has provided for Atlantic for Catskills. We're kinda in the dark... that's what the complaint is about folks, not "deco".

There has to be a standardization across the shards. I thoroughly enjoy seeing that Atlantic has an EM that is well invested in the governorship system and do not wish to have that taken, rather I wish for it to be enhanced. Perhaps that's what the problem is. Some EM's (and its natural, no fault of their own) enjoy doing more with the governorship system while some EM's might just enjoy doing PvM events more. That's fine and explainable. Find another EM that takes enjoyment in working with government, even if it takes getting another EM dedicated to JUST GOVERNMENT for each shard that requires a lil extra help.

And say our EM's catch the flu, that should too be communicated. "Hey guys, got the flu but I am trying my best to get back to the saddle." So we know what's happening. Communication is key!!!

~ Sue.

21. neptune1369

Stratics Veteran

Finally someone who understand's

#21 neptune1369, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
    EM_Bennu, Bianca_CoD and Pandora_CoD like this.
  22. Jerec KTM

Jerec KTM Journeyman

I play both Great Lakes and Atlantic. Knowing how large Atlantic is, it was easier to involve myself in Great Lakes and win an election. Being on both, it is easy to see the difference between the two shards on support. To be honest, I am happy with the EMs on both shards. What I am not happy about is that there a different rulebook between the two shards. You can read the log with the EM on Great Lakes about how it is against the rules, no matter the wording or how it ties in.

http://stratics.com/community/threads/ooc-meeting-with-em-log.305351/

Thanks.

23. Rumpus

Rumpus Visitor

Defensive, ain't they?

Governorship was a curious choice of system to develop, given that it's entirely dependant upon the EM program, and given that the current EM program has almost no power compared to the old one that was disbanded amid scandal.

Shakkara likes this.