1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[Fishing] What do you think of this for a basic fishing template?

Discussion in 'UO Fishing and Treasure Hunting' started by DerekL, Dec 14, 2012.

1. DerekL

DerekL Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Fishing 100
    Archery 100
    Wrestling 100
    Tactics 90
    Anatomy 90
    Resist 90
    Focus 20
    Magery 50
    Healing 80

Int 25
    Dex 100
    Str 100

Basically for solo open ocean fishing and MIB's.

2. Lord Lew

Lord Lew Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Why wrestling?

3. DerekL

DerekL Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Less likely to miss a heal, backup in case of running out of arrows.

4. Lord Lew

Lord Lew Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Are you fishing for mib,s from a rowboat? If not, just stand in the middle if your boat, and fire away. I use an archer, and with the right bow, you won't have to worry about the healing so much. If your using him for mor than fishing and mib,s, then he may not work so well. You do need to work your fishing up to 120 tho :)

5. DerekL

DerekL Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

It was just an idea, that's why I ask. :) And yes, he'd pretty much be a pure fisherman/MIB hauler.

Why raise fishing to 120?

6. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Better fishmonger quests. :)

7. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I've opted for no combat skills, and two mechanical vollems to guard me - either magery, necro, ninja or bandages handle any healing needs I have if something manages to damage me and the vollems can easily cope with anything I've fished up or met at sea.

#7 Aurelius, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  8. Barry Gibb

Barry Gibb Of Saintly Patience
    Stratics Veteran

You can drop the 20 Focus and bring your Tactics up to 100, for the GM damage bonus and raise your healing to 90 for more reliable poison cures. You will not need Wrestling. A good archer should never run out of arrows. If you use a snake slayer bow on the sea serpents they will drop in 1-3 hits. I overkill them on my fisherman with a single E-Bolt with a snake slayer spellbook.

Stayin Alive,

BG

9. Xenobia

Xenobia Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I use my fisherchick for other things so I go for 120 archery, 120 anatomy, 100 healing, 120 tactics, 85 chiv, 100 focus, dump the rest into resist. This is a char from 1998. I added a +25 stat to her as well. Pretty fun char to play. I stone the fishing until I go out on the high seas, then I switch up the focus (not needed)

#9 Xenobia, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  10. Xenobia

Xenobia Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Oh and she is on her way to 120 fishing so I'll have to work that in somehow :)

11. DerekL

DerekL Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

OK, taking the suggestions above... Here's the new version of the template;
    Archery 100
    Tactics 100
    Anatomy 100
    Fishing 100
    Resist 100
    Magery 35
    Healing 100
    Focus 20

A total of 655 points, leaving me 65 to play with.

12. Barry Gibb

Stratics Veteran

How do you plan to use the 35 Magery? You may want to look into Chivalry. It offers some excellent spells for an archer, and does not require a spellchanneling weapon.

Why 20 focus? You may want to plan to take you fishing to at least 110 (eventually 120). This will allow you to go after dungeon fish (requires >105). A paladin archer is a very suitable template to defend itself in a dungeon.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Xenobia likes this.
  13. DerekL

DerekL Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

The magery is to cast recall from a scroll/runebook.

14. Lord Lew

Lord Lew Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Just use charged books then and drop the magery

15. Xenobia

Xenobia Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I think you will be pleased with chiv on your archer. Good call on that one :)

16. Barry Gibb

Stratics Veteran

Sacred Journey from Chivalry will take care of this. It also does not require reagents and the tithing costs for the spell are only 10gp per cast. Chivalry requires 65 skill to be 100% successful at casting Sacred Journey (which is the same as Magery and Recall). Chivalry will also provide a secondary method of healing/curing, which is more effective than Magery at that skill level.

However, if you are planning to cast from scrolls, then charging your runebook is better than always carrying loose scrolls (can't lose a runebook).

Stayin Alive,

BG

Xenobia likes this.
  17. DerekL

DerekL Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

The thing that concerns me about Chiv is the lack of mana. (Do you have a template I can ponder on? Because Chiv has other advantages as well.) Plus, this char is more of a companion to my T-hunter than anything else. I'm not really interested in dungeon fishing or fishing quests.

N00b/vet (I.E. returning vet after some years away) question: I thought I recalled (pardon the pun) needing a certain minimum Magery to use Runebooks (even charged ones).

18. Xenobia

Xenobia Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I used a stat scroll so I could bump my intel up a bit.

#18 Xenobia, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
    Barry Gibb likes this.
  19. Barry Gibb

Stratics Veteran

Chivalry is not mana intensive. You can find the mana costs of the Chivalry spells here: http://uo2.stratics.com/skill-guides/skills-and-professions/chivalry. You will primarily use Chivalry to Sacred Journey (Recall) to you boat, Towns and other locations. Since you have Healing, Close Wounds and Cleanse By Fire are secondary methods of healing and curing. You can use them on others and their pets. Consecrate Weapon, Divine Fury and Enemy of One will allow you to do more damage to your target. The duration of these spells is long enough to recover your mana back, before casting again. With just a little bit of Mana Regen (MR) on your armor, you will rarely run out of mana (once you get used to the spell durations). Xenobia has a good point about the Stat Scroll. You can use a Stat Scroll to increase your total Stat points. They come in +5, +10, +15, +20, and +25 amounts, they do not stack. If you want +20, you cannot use two +10s to get there (similar to how powerscrolls work).

Some small tweaks to your above template:
    Archery 110
    Tactics 100
    Anatomy 100
    Fishing 110
    Resist 100
    Healing 100
    Chivalry 100
    Total Skill Points = 720.
    Uses 110 Archery and 110 Fishing Power Scrolls.

Str 100
    Dex 100
    Int 35
    Uses a +10 Stat Scroll.

This is a very inexpensive, well rounded, and highly effective template to use for fishing, providing support to others, adventuring and earning gold. Fishing quests are excellent side quests to do while sailing between MIB spots (that is how I do them), you will already be sailing the entire sea to get between MIB spots AND collecting fish. You will also have a better chance at catching the new types of big fish which the High Seas Expansion brought: http://uo2.stratics.com/skill-guides/skills-and-professions/fishing/fishing-in-the-high-seas. You can have alot of fun with this charatcer.

As far as requiring a mininmum Magery for using charges in a book, I vaguely recall that too, but it has long since gone away. All of my characters carry charged runebooks and most of them do not have magery.

If you are on LS, let me know if I can help you with anything.

Stayin Alive,

BG

20. DerekL

DerekL Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Other than the stat scroll, that template and explanation makes sense. I imagine that stat scrolls run pretty expensive (I haven't seen any on vendors). (I am on LS as it happens.)

Hmm... if you don't need magery to travel by runebook anymore, I have a lot of templates to tweak....

#20 DerekL, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  21. Xenobia

Xenobia Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Eat a stat scroll if u can afford one and give yourself 40-50 intel and call it good. You will be happy with that. If you can't swing the stat scroll, I have one char with Chiv and 35 intel...I bandage heal her, but still enjoy the other spells Chiv has to offer. I set up a nice little macro in uoa that allows me to scroll up on my mouse and bandage heal myself. No dclicking required :) Hope that helps!

22. Xenobia

Xenobia Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

lol the other responses just showed up on my tablet so ignore my last comment..however, I am on LS as well and I'm sure I have an extra stat scroll lying around that you could have. Msg me and we can hook up to get you taken care of ...I am DKNY on LS