1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

What happened to the Nightmares?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Hotei, May 22, 2012.

1. Hotei

Hotei Guest

With the recent change to Covetous, Did they move the Nightmare spawn from Felucca Covetous Level 2 or did they just get rid of it? Does anyone know?

2. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

We've not as yet discovered a nightmare spawning anywhere unusual. There's still one in Wind garden of course.

3. Lorddog

Lorddog Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

there use to be one in cov dungeon pretty near the front

4. Poo

Poo The Grandest of the PooBah’s
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor 4H

it was on level 2.
    and its gone now.

so if your taming on a red toon your only choice now is the Garden in Wind.

5. Raptor85

Raptor85 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I'm glad i already have one then.....my tamer isn't a mage so that would suck having to work a skill just to get in and tame a mare...

6. Flutter

Flutter Always Present

Another well thought out change by the dev team...

There is a nightmare that spawns in the Terra Keep

Viquire likes this.
  7. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

*smiles* Sometimes things slip by the team... I know you can still tame a Nightmare East of Umbra with a red Tamer.

*slow grin*

Viquire likes this.
  8. Flutter

Flutter Always Present

Nothing should "slip by" the people working on this game. There are people who have played for 15 years. Let's ASK before changing ****. Bottom line. We aren't getting new players. This is it. Let's please the people we have.

eve likes this.
  9. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

I think you're missing the point of what kelmo was saying :p

I mentioned it on UHall and on Test Center almost three weeks ago. I tried to get some dev attention but I guess they didn't have any plans to remedy the situation.

Viquire likes this.
  10. Lord Nabin

Lord Nabin High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
    Professional Premium Stratics Veteran Supporter Glorious Lord ACW

Sounds to me that at least 3 other locations were just listed where one can be obtained on a red.

I guess I am missing the point of the problem!

Besides can't these be tamed in tram and sold to a Fel player? There are certain items that can only be obtained in Fel and Tram players need to buy them....

11. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

My understanding is Sudiva killed them ALL when she flew the coup, might not of had anything to do with a Dev

12. Flutter

Flutter Always Present

Sorry. I'm fed up by a dev team that doesn't give a **** anymore about people who pay (sometimes for multiple accounts) to be allowed to play this game. There's just no communication at all between "us" and "them" in regards to the actual game.

Raptor85 likes this.
  13. Lord Nabin

I understand the frustrations but then how do you explain this post

"Hi Guys,

We read your feedback on the artifacts that were originally added to Covetous, and thank you. So with that being said all artifacts listed in the patch notes are being removed. We sat down as a team and came up with 5 items that we feel deserve to be called an artifact without giving anyone a I WIN button =).

Mesanna"​
    I think their is an open line of communication. That being said its hard to adjust and revamp an area and make every single person happy.​
    From what I can see just in this post there are several other places to tame a dread while being a red. Ok you lost that in this area but what did you gain in the area?​
    [​IMG]

14. Flutter

Flutter Always Present

Respectfully disagree Nabin.
    I'd agree if she said "We sat down with the players and came up with..."
    But no, again there's no "discussion" just Mesanna telling us how it is going to be.

Arabella likes this.
  15. Meatbread

Meatbread Journeyman

Oh my god, if you're a red and you're a tamer and you want a nightmare and no one will tame you one and there are none for sale in Magincia then you can't tame a nightmare anywhere except for the other place to tame one!

This is super important and the only way the developers couldn't forsee this is if they hate UO! Sure they listen to feedback and make alterations in response but they don't "sit down with the players" so they are dictators!

[​IMG]

Viper09 likes this.
  16. Promathia

Promathia EM Bennu Fanclub
    Premium Stratics Veteran

Who uses nightmares nowadays anyways?

Just to repeat - If you cant buy a nightmare (I mean really, the dont cost much lol), then you can still tame them in Terra Keep or Wind.

Really not that big of a deal

17. Petra Fyde

Nightmares spawn in:
    Wind, fel
    Terrathon keep, both facets
    Ilshenar, Ky rin Passage
    Malas Corrupted Forest (2 locations)

Hypothetical question:
    Where would you have moved the covetous mare to?

18. Raptor85

Raptor85 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

The spot is used to spawn doesn't really seem to be used at all now, it seems it was cleared out just so that the only thing on that level is the void pool, but that said, any of the little side caves that are now unused would have worked.

19. Flutter

Flutter Always Present

They could have just put it in one of the mountain passes between levels. It's just tradition I guess I am getting bitter about.

Lord Nabin and Raptor85 like this.
  20. O'Brien

O'Brien Thought Police

Nightmares? o_O What's that? Those black horses? I didn't like those anyway. Horses <> Evil

Sudiva... :eek: Is Sudiva gone???

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

:gun:

21. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Flutter
    While I understand being upset over a favorite spot for a spawn being removed, I think you're overreacting a bit much here. The dungeon went through a massive spawn change, you can't expect things to remain the same after such an overhaul. There are other places where you can find them. Perhaps the nightmare just didn't fit in with the direction they were going with the change.

22. Raptor85

Raptor85 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

It's the white horses you have to watch out for!
    [​IMG]

23. Petra Fyde

Sudiva's whereabouts is the subject of the current fan fiction contest. I hope a few interested parties with a literary inclination will tell us where she's gone.

The passages between the levels have always been a kind of safe haven, I'm not sure how safe they would be with a nightmare there.

Mirt likes this.
  24. O'Brien

O'Brien Thought Police

*grasps his Sudiva's Covetous-Laced Tear, trying to recover from the shock*

There is an endless supply of nightmares and horses, but only one Sudiva. In fact, horses in particular sometimes seem to breed like mad.

25. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I'm confused.

There's still plenty of other nightmare spawns, in Fel as well as in other facets.

I don't think anyone's mentioned Ilshenar yet.

What was the big deal about that one in particular? Sure it was comparatively easy to get to but it's not like the others are out-of-reach.

-Galen's player

26. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

My suggestion on Test was where the Rotting Corpses (was going to say RCs but figured that could be confusing) used to spawn, but I think the paths outside, as Flutter mentioned, could work as well. Would certainly be easier to tame them on paths than where the RCs used to spawn.

That's exactly it for me as well. The Covetous mare was more of a landmark than a necessity for tamers. It was part of what made Fel Covetous the dungeon it was, like a seer house or a player town before player towns became rampant via Mesanna. It's a part of UO history that will now be forgotten, which is sad, because the devs could have at least moved the spawn like they plan to move--or deal with--Sudiva.

The people who try to meet a memory with a practicality might not be from the same...gaming era, I guess. You guys have to remember Fel used to be all we had in UO. Every time the devs destroy something that made Fel unique it ****s on the 15-year legacy. Do that enough and you'll lose your old players.

Flutter and Arabella like this.
  27. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

Ugh can you imagine listening to all those horses in the SA client? lol

28. Hotei

Hotei Guest

Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate it.

Yes, I knew and know of the other places to get mares, I just prefered the covetous location since I had been going there forever. Thank you for posting the other locations tho, for those who may have not known about those.

I used to frequent the kirin passage spawn in Ilshenar too, but I sometimes "farmed" leather or looked for that "perfect" mare as sort of a form of relaxation. I didn't find the paragons very relaxing (hehe) when I returned to game, so had been frequenting Covetous when the mood struck me.

To the person who said, "Who uses nightmares nowadays anyways." I don't think it's about who uses them or not. Not many use regular dragons or White Wyrms these days either. But it would be a sad day in Sosaria if they were to disappear because of a redesign. But that's just my opinion.

To the person who said, "This is super important and the only way the developers couldn't forsee this is if they hate UO!". I know you were being fascetious. And "What was the big deal about that one in particular?" I don't think anyone was making that big a deal of it, really. The frustration expressed by some was more of a carry over from other issues they felt strongly about.

Anyway, I was more just curious about the spawn and it's status more than anything else. And as usual, Stratics posters have come thru with answers.

From my own perspectiive, this is the most successful and fun dungeon revamp to date, and the sacrifice of the nightmare spawn (since there are several other alternative spawn sites), is an acceptable sacrifice for the fun that has been added to the game. The cooperation and comraderie that I experienced in game last nite, and the fun, was reminiscent of the Juo'nar invasion of Trinsic many years ago. I think the Dev's did good on this one. As to the rewards for this addition, I haven't really paid attention to those yet, so I will leave it to others to discuss their merits.

Again, thank you to you all for your input and insights.

Hotei

29. Flutter

Flutter Always Present

I'd love to know the "direction they are going with change"
    I'd love to know the current dev team's vision for Ultima Online.
    There appears to be none. It appears to be a type of on the fly management with no roots in the games traditions or values. UO has a deep history both in story-telling and in the people who have come through and left their mark on this game. All of that seems irrelevant to the current crew making broad sweeping changes in the core style of the game.
    It's not about a missing horse. It'll never be just about a missing horse.

eve, O'Brien and Raptor85 like this.
  30. Flutter

Flutter Always Present

We might not always agree. But when we do... its dos equis.

Lord Nabin and Raptor85 like this.
  31. Lord Nabin

Now I can agree and relate to that!

32. RaDian FlGith

RaDian FlGith Babbling Loonie

I think I missed the announcement of this contest... what are the details?

33. Petra Fyde

34. RaDian FlGith

RaDian FlGith Babbling Loonie

35. Nalynn

Nalynn Visitor
    Stratics Veteran

The
    Ugh, I hate these new changes to Stratics. I was just getting used to the "old" look and function. FYI, there do not appear to be nightmares in Malas any more. Haven't gone looking in the other locations yet. I was wondering why they were selling so fast off my vendor.

36. Raptor85

Raptor85 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

they might still be around, i've always had trouble finding them there because they wander, start over by doom and circle outward, a huge downside of all the remaining areas compared to covetous is how big the spawn area is and there's still only 1 that spawns at a time, in covetous they were always within a screen or so making it quite a bit easier to get a black one with good stats. The whole dungeon kinda lost it's feel, I wish they'd kept with the existing dungeon themes and just ramped up the later levels, the random groups of mobs seem...well...random.

Also, level 1 of covetous fel side is INCREDIBLY annoying now, I don't think it was taken into consideration that non-aggro stealth creatures THAT STAM BLOCK might be a bad idea (those stealth mongbats clog the hallways and you can't get through, and they don't attack you so on a dexxer you either need detect hidden or a to of conflag pots to get through L1) or wait 20 minutes while you try to drag enough harpys over to get them out of the spot without them getting killed by the 50 closer ones before that.