1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

What happened to UO auction?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by athlon, May 20, 2008.

1. athlon

athlon Guest

that had been my favorite place to buy/sell for years!

2. Gem

Gem Lore Keeper
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

3. Hanna

Hanna Guest

http://uo-auction2.com/
    Looks like they were hit withthe same database bug stratics was and at the exact same time. Which I found interesting.

4. Zofinur

Zofinur Guest

No idea what happened to uoa2, but the other site mentioned before doesnt even seem to sell uo-items yet.

If u r looking for a working auction-site try out ingameauctions.com
    There´s an increased activity during the past days.

5. Richwarf

Richwarf Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

all 4 websites no longer work :(

Is there a 5th one I might not know about?

*edit*
    Forgot to look at the date stamp before I posted... But my question still stands :)
    P.S. You cant say I did not look back for this question :p

6. Theo_GL

Theo_GL Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

YES that site was fabulous back in the day.

Like any auction site though as the playerbase dwindled, so did the use of the site and once the spiral started it died quickly.

No one wants to put items up for auction if there aren't many people bidding as the prices they sell for are too low. Thus, with people disuaded from selling, the buyers also stopped comming to the site.

The auctions were FREE to list and FREE to purchase. There was no transaction fee.

Also stratics would tend to lock or delete threads promoting it so it died hard and stratics really has nothing to compare.

The site had things listed in nice categories, was searchable and run just like an ebay auction. There was no cost to use the site and even if someone listed an item to sell to you and never showed up - you weren't out any money. All transactions were handled via normal UO trade windows.

It was a GREAT way to match up sellers and buyers without using the UO Vendor system that takes your money in fees.

7. Spiritless

Spiritless Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Erm, sorry Theo but all the reasons you've listed for it "dying" are essentially nonsense.

It didn't die over time. One day it was online, next the database had crashed. That simple, really. In fact, you can see just how many auctions were active at the time by going there. It seems to remain in a frozen in time state. It wasn't as active as it used to be, but it was far from dead.

So yeah, it has remained unfixed for years. Guess the owner couldn't be bothered to bring it back online. Was a good idea anyway but the site in question was poorly implemented and easily exploited. That may explain why, in actual fact, it ended as it did.

Cheers.

8. Hobo Sapien

Hobo Sapien Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

There are many reason's it is gone, has been for years. None of which are worth mentioning really.

9. Richwarf

Richwarf Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

If some one made a new one (supported by ads) do you think it would kick off?

10. They should bring something like uoauction2 back, i loved that site for selling and buying :sad4:

11. Richwarf

Richwarf Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

I am going to star a new topic with a poll.

I really like to see if people will use a auction website again :)

12. Theo_GL

Theo_GL Grand Poobah

No because the on-line search engines (which I can't name here or a mod with lock the thread) have replaced UO auction where you could 'find' people selling the item you needed quickly/easily.

Why EA doesn't implement a shard wide vendor search is beyond me. Very few people think wandering the vast uninhabited countryside in search of some item or trinket they need to play the game is very fun.

Make it quick and simple to find, locate, and buy from any vendor in game.

The people who want to wander can wander. The rest of us can get our stuff quickly and easily.

THIS is what Dev time should be spend on - additions to the game that make playing it more fun.

Not developing some poor graphics of new pixel crack to be sold for $1.99. Lets increase subs and stop trying to mine your ever decreasing customer base for $2, $3 and $4 non-sense items.

13. Viquire

Viquire Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

It died.

We said a nice word or two, lowered it into the ground, and then covered it with the earth from which it came. RIP

14. More "fun" for you ... but less for them ...

:thumbsup: got it! :danceb:

15. CheesePlant

CheesePlant Guest

16. LadyNico

LadyNico Always Present

Hmm. Was it the UO-Auction site owner who was accused of UO wrongdoing and when no one would listen or check into the evidence of his innocence, he wound up taking his own life? Or was that another person altogether? My memory really is going.

17. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot

I copied that link into a new tab. Damn that thing is a long mess. Must be 3 or 4 wide screen widths long. I'll pass on using it.

18. Rupert Avery

strange.. When I click it, or copy and paste the link it works fine... If you are experiencing problems please let us know the site is just over a week old to public use so there might be things we still need to sort...

Don't pass it up right away..

Anyone can PM, Email: [email protected] or ICQ:266197618 any issues you have with the site and we will look into it asap :)

We reincarnated this old concept for the community and will do everything we can to make it work :)

19. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

That was the rumour about Zofinur LadyNico, but I'm not convinced it's the truth. Ending your life over a video game is a little extreme. He did cut himself off from his Stratics account by the simple method of putting in an email address that he didn't actually own, making it impossible to follow the re-activation link.

I've had a look around Rupert's site, and while so far I've found no need for its services myself, not being a big trader in game these days, I'd have no hesitation in using it should I find something there I wanted.

20. EvilPixieWorks

EvilPixieWorks Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Old thread from 05-20-2008? Good lord! :blushing:

Oh wow! It's still around! Shocking beyond shocking!

Goodness… how long ago it was? That first hack/sabotage or whatever that killed that site… then it took them entirely too long to repair/reestablish (that really killed it). The Atlantic section never recovered. I was shocked just now to see a few items listed on Atlantic, high priced or not. I can't even begin to list all the stuff I bought and sold on that site. Selling all those higher end items that make your teeth grind looking at the vendor fees.

Wonder if the new auction site will work better for Atlantic. Loony-town vendors are for the birds. :loser:

21. Rupert Avery

have a look :) and find out also on a side not answer your PM i need to get you sorted for Establishment of the week your shop should run next week :)

22. dupapa

dupapa Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

looks fine to me rupert,

might actually list some items im too lazy to have a vendor for, aside from the fact my house is not a prime traffic destination,

wish it and you all the best in success

23. Shelleybean

Shelleybean Certifiable

How tragic. I pray this isn't true.

24. Rupert Avery

As do I a sad and tragic story if it is true :(

Thank you Dupapa :) please do list some items It is after all created for you all to use :)

• About Us

Stratics is the oldest continually running MMORPG Fansite on the Internet. Founded in 1997 Stratics has served the Ultima Online Community for 18 years. We strive to provide the most complete social experience for Ultima Online players.
  • Subscribe Now!

Want to provide Continual Support? Subscribe and gain additional benefits as a patron of Stratics.com!
    Subscribe Now!

Stratics Professional Accounts feature the following advantages:

• Ad-Free Browsing of our Forums
    • Upload a custom Profile Cover
    • Unlimited media upload storage space
    • Use of the theme styler
    • Ability to collapse the sidebar
    • Premium background themes to choose from
    • Access to additional features of the Classifieds System
    • Ability to Customize Your User Title
    • No Post Delays
    • Additional Signature Allowances:
    • Special Professional Banner Display with your Account
    • PM Allowance Upgrade
    • Additional Thread Allowances
  • Support Us!

Don't feel like subscribing? Donations to benefit the further development of Stratics and for purchase and inclusion of additional features are always welcome.

Donate to us!