1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

What I've learned about Seige...

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Bob_the_fart_guy, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Bob_the_fart_guy

Bob_the_fart_guy Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

...I've learned that a guild name carries with it both trust, friendship, sometimes respect...and also can "mark you" a target.

I frequently hang around a known guild, and when people see me, the reaction is (even if not said aloud) "who is this guy"? and they often see the name of the guild I'm with, and they lower their guard. Which is wonderful for me because I don't think I could kill a gnat right now. And I don't have an aggressive bone in my body. Yeah, I know Seige is a PvP server/shard, but it does not mean that I have to. Seige = freedom to do what you want to do. Be it good OR evil. Its nice not to be restricted at times. I'm sure even the most seasoned "Trammie" (referring to every single other shard) had one or two set of circumstances where they found themselves even wishing that they could "just that once" whack someone. Ya' know, maybe a person stole your tame, or killed a creature you were trying to tame, or ruined a player run event. Seige is what drew me in, with its true meaning of comrodery <-- (spell-check?).

I had a troubling experience, maybe someone could tell me how they would have reacted to the situation. Ya' know, teach me.

So, there I was with a bud, just killing monsters, and a player, whose name I will not reveal, comes along and begins to do the same. He was blue named, and I began to grow comfy with his presence. Suddenly though, out of know where he slays my buddy. Now, as the battle was underway, which lasted about under 4 or 5 seconds I was in total shock and in a panic simply tried to invis' my pal. Well, to no avail. He was slain and "dry looted". The killer didn't even seem at all worried about me standing near feet from him while he looted through my buds stuff. Now, at this point, if I had attacked, I would have surely died in one or two whacks. Well, is it the honorable thing to die in battle? Or be intelligent enough to know when your beat? If you had been the ghost standing there and a newbie friend of yours was standing there, with little to no chance of avenging your death, would you still like to see him try? Ya' know, the honor thing? Or would you just prefer him to beat a hasty retreat?

Looking for feedback, what do you feel I should have done? What would you have done?

2. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

If you think you have a chance, take it. If you know you'd die as easily as your friend, always look out for #1 and be glad you weren't the first choice.

3. ChumBucket

ChumBucket Guest

I'm fairly certain I know of whom you speak, and I can say with some certainty that his deeds will be revisited upon him many times over. Your friend's death will be avenged, as will those of a few others this wolf-in-sheep's-clothing has slain.

4. nightstalker22

nightstalker22 Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Run for your life! Your friend already lost his equipment, no need in losing yours too, especially when you could use yours to ressurrect your fallen friend.

There is no honour in tossing yourselves to the wolves too...

Though, considering the circumstances, if it were me that was attacking the two of you, and you stood up for the injustice and I killed you, I would most likely not loot you because of your bravery... but you dont know your attacker in each case, so I would run if I were you, especially when they are devious enough to stand near you and gauge your strength by watching how much difficulty you have killing the monsters... that is a sure sign they intend to prey on the weak, and take all they can.

5. Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Barter Town

Throw yourself upon your sword in shame.

:spider:

6. OldAsTheHills

OldAsTheHills Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Belonging to a guild requires you to do some obligations. But, if the looting has been done,
    and you are still there...you are next!
    If you want... you could have thrown a grenade and run, thus drawing that attacker off and
    maybe that attacker was not finished looting.

Oh, did your friend give this BLUE a murder count or not?
    If not then do not worry about what you did. The color of RED does mean, WARNING!
    Danger Will Robertson!

*stares*
    Yahaxithonix

7. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I agree with this one. Run, come back later. You're more use to your friend as someone who can rez him and help him get back to somewhere he can re-equip than as another helpless ghost.

8. Chippyrat

Chippyrat Guest

although I do agree that sometimes self-preservation is good, I've noticed a lot of the time as a newbie you can definitely underestimate yourself sometimes. I've been in situations where someone tries to gank me, or myself and a comrade who are obviously newbies, and managing to either hold our own, or fend off the attacker.

a lot of the reason some pk's have a HUGE advantage is because you either get caught off guard, or think that the person is better than you.

it's hard to make a decision in 2 seconds sometimes though, can't weigh all of that out in a split second.

9. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

It really depends often upon any given situtation. There are times if you are the true non combative...sometimes just hiding out where those attacking your friend or mate can not see you...so you can swiftly res your friend or mate back to seeing color in game.

Other times ...just for the fun of it, say someone declares WAR on your guild ...even the non combative may see that as a signal to ATTACK...knowing full well you will be a corpse. I had that happen with my crafters before. One time the great WAKA lord come into Wintermoor with his declaration of war............no one was in our land but lil old me. I seen him carrying a WAR message...I could have just taken the note peaceably or seen it as...HOW DARE HE declare war on US... and ...so I ATTACKED I DIED & we all laughed.
    Had vampires come in declaring war & death to bluebies...well if they were sort of all evenly matched the PVPers I would.. butt out of it all often hidden nearby to res my commerades if need be after the battle ended.......but if it was just say me and the knight commander in some land some where just us two the fighter and crafter.....NO I would NOT let them just slaughter him without tryin to be like some gnat buzzing them.. OOOooo with tinker tools to try to defend MY leader...comic as it was.

Ditto with friends...one friend pvper with me just the crafter...they gonna kill him or her anyways..and loot em...and me too so maybe just for fun or honor my crafter will FIGHT laughingly back to defend OUR honor or just to stand two seconds longer. *it can be comic*

But if it is LOTS of pvpers factioners against the same...then I BUTT out...I am a non combatant..times when they all gonna fight best thing to do IS get outta their way......let them have their FUNzies :) pvpers to pvpers. I do not flee though no matter whom attacks my chrs.. part of me just rather die with dignity than to ever flee like some coward. I know everyone here can kill me so wtf why run............I made the crafters here :) I AINT RUNNING from anyone here personally I think it takes more guts to be a defenselss dweeb chr template than the mightiest of warriors HERE especially !!! SO I dont run...ever.

It is often just depending upon circumstances...it is often very hard to be 2 players together and watch a friend be attacked and NOT do anything...fleeing seems to me more cowardice than often dying with honor or at least trying to maybe heal a buddie even if it is to no avail..but that is just me.

So unless it is some faction thing where game mechanics does not even LET me res or heal anyone bearing the faction tag.........hrmm mutters...not much I can do..cept maybe be a gnat buzzing a horde...or just getting OUT of the way of GROUPS fighting ...depends on circumstances. I do not interfer with faction stuff and game mechanics doesnt allow me to even cast a heal no matter how dear a friend they may be to me..in those cases it is better to hide very close by...if nothin else ya can gate em to a res somewhere where factioners can be res'd by another factioner or something. Color DONT MATTER you will get friends/enemies per say.. whom are red ...or blue...depends too whom they are to you.