1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

What Kind of Music Do You Listen To While Playing UO?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Tina Small, May 16, 2009.

?

If you listen to music while playing UO, what do you listen to most often?

1. Rock/Pop

36.3%
  2. Alternative/Punk

13.8%
  3. Rap/Hip-Hop

10.0%
  4. Soul/R&B

2.5%
  5. Country

5.0%
  6. Jazz/New Age

7.5%
  7. Classical

12.5%
  8. Christian/Gospel

7.5%
  9. Folk

6.3%
  10. Other

52.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

Haven't seen a thread on this subject in a while. So what do you enjoy listening to while you play UO? And do you have special tunes you listen to while engaging in specific activities?

2. 80's hair band rock for me. I love my XM and it's no commercials.

3. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Uriah Heep, Metallica, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Steppenwolf, Ozzy, Queensryche, etc...
    :)

4. Tina Small

Stratics Veteran 4H

The Corrs, The Cranberries, Ronan Hardiman, Lesiem, Acoustic Alchemy, Adiemus, Annie Lennox, Chris Botti, Dido, Hiroshima, Jesse Cook, Keiko Matsui, Mannheim Steamroller (year-round, even if it's Christmas music), Phil Collins, Sarah Brightman, Sarah MacLachlan, Sting, Celtic Thunder, Celtic Woman.

5. Tazar

Tazar Guest

Pandora I never know where I'll end up. :)

6. Aran

Aran INFRACTION INFRACTION INFRACTION!
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend -A-

Lately, none.

Too many voices in my head, can't hear a thing over them.

7. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

Same as Tazar, although I have several channels defined as a "Quickmix" and tend to get pretty good results from it (already found a new band that I bought the CD (Amazon MP3 download actually) they were playing on Pandora as well as a few singles).

Pandora = win.

8. The Craftsman

The Craftsman Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

None whatsoever. Why no option for that on the poll?

9. Tina Small

Stratics Veteran 4H

The actual poll question is, "If you listen to music while playing UO, what do you listen to most often? " Sorry if there's some confusion due to the thread title not being an exact match to the poll question. Wasn't sure how long I could make the thread title.

10. gunneroforgin

gunneroforgin Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I am usually watching TV but, the mix i get from the local radio station is all over the place and didn't fit any of your catogories. I even have the UO music turned off. My favorite peformer is Loreena McKennitt.

11. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Me I listen to anything from old, oldies like the Carpenters, CCR, Simon and Garfunkel and the Beatles, to things like Creed, Disturbed, Korn, and Godsmack...

Depends on my mood at the time..... sometimes mellow..... sometimes angry.

12. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

I've been under a rock apparently, thanks for the Pandora tip, it rocks...literally. :party:

13. Helfgrim

Helfgrim Guest

I've been listening to the instrumental release from NIN called Ghosts, not sure where it fits into the poll.

14. Phaen Grey

Phaen Grey Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

*grins at Grim and steals her CD's back*

Usually anything instrumental, but some activities like dungeon crawling call for classic rock!

15. sablestorm

sablestorm Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Most often, shuffle on the IPOD. I do have quite a collection of movie soundtracks, most of them being adventure and swords and sorcery so I'll often throw one on the CD Player to listen to while playing.

16. siyeng0

siyeng0 Guest

Leonard Cohen!

OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

17. Chrissay_

Chrissay_ Guest

I usually listen to techno (florida breaks to be specific)

Chrissay

18. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

And you play UO in the still of the night, and get naughty, naughty.

-Galen's player

19. GalenKnighthawke

Stratics Veteran

And when you play you know no restraint, no fear. Your purpose set, your will defined.

-Galen's player

20. GalenKnighthawke

Stratics Veteran

Your character hurt itself today, to see if it still felt. It focused on the pain, the only thing that's real.

-Galen's player

21. GalenKnighthawke

Stratics Veteran

Out on the streets (of Vesper), stalking the night. Your character can feel his heavy breathing.

-Galen's player

22. GalenKnighthawke

Stratics Veteran

Any correlation between what music you listen to and what you do in-game? Like for example, if we walk by your room and hear, say, "Sounds of Silence," we know you're PvPing, whereas we hear, say, "I Stand Alone" and we know you're crafting?

-Galen's player

23. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

If you walked past my room and heard "Fear" by Disturbed you would know I'm on the hunt.... for blood...... in PvP..... if however you walked by and heard say... "Knowing you, Knowing Me" by ABBA you'd know it's probably just me remembering days gone by perhaps while serving drinks at my Tavern..... If perhaps you heard something like, "Closer" by NIN..... you best keep walking... *grins*..... and if you perchance heard me playing something like "We are the Champions" by Queen..... I might be doing a Champ spawn!.... Though I could easily play "The Gambler" by Kenny Rogers... When I feel like a game of Sava as most Drow do....

24. JoO

JoO Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

"Taps"Since I feel like Im at a funeral.

25. uoBuoY

uoBuoY Guest

How could you NOT include UO's music in your list???
    I bet a lot of that "Other" category is UO music.

26. Clannad, Altan, Orla Fallon, etc...if I am feeling sort of mellow.

Bolt Thrower, Vader, Arch Enemy. etc...if I am feeling sort of aggressive.

27. GalenKnighthawke

Stratics Veteran

Personally, I thought there should have been heavy metal and movie soundtracks.

Those are the two most commonly heard categories I've personally heard people say they listen to over the years. I remember after Gladiator came out, a lot of folks listened to that soundtrack while playing UO. And please note how many metal bands have been cited in this thread.

-Galen's player

28. Tina Small

Stratics Veteran 4H

When you set up a poll, you're limited to a maximum of 10 choices. Maybe the next person to set up a music poll will make better choices than I did.

29. uoBuoY

uoBuoY Guest

What about show tunes: Sound of Music, Cats, Guys & Dolls?
    jk...I'm not gay...not that there's anything wrong with that.

30. GalenKnighthawke

Stratics Veteran

Was fun as it was actually.

-Galen's player

31. MoneyMaker

MoneyMaker Guest

Hmm, a plethora of musicians.
    Love, Heavy Metal (just the usual day to day stuff) - Liquid Metal (for a bit of solo hunting) - Death Metal (for spawn and the like) - Techno (for just sitting and chatting) - Neotechno (for a group event/em event) - old Rock (when feeling nestalgic) and occasionally classical (for crafting).

So of course, I voted Other.
    If you have never tried Metal, you should. Not that hair band, non-metal music. The real deal, underground metal.

Long live Pantera.

32. Nok

Nok Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Playing UO? Anything but UO music... more like what playoff games on TV, the news, the Food Network (Diners, Drive-ins and Dives; Good Eats; Iron Chef America; Throwdown; & Unwrapped), or DVD movies (Gladiator or Kingdom of Heaven gets me in the UO mood).

I like UO music though, I listen to it in the car... burned my own CDR of UO music to listen to on the road. ;)

33. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Most often, I listen to soundtracks from a few anime series, several albums by Asia, Queen's "A kind of magic" (the music from Highlander), Def Leppard's "Hysteria", and the non-stop megamixes from the Dance Dance Revolution game soundtracks.

Other times, I'll just listen to several 80s bands greatest hits albums (the Bangles, Duran Duran, Foreigner)

34. BadManiac

BadManiac Guest

I listen to the UO music while I play UO, the way Lord British intended.

35. Maplestone

Maplestone Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

instrumental movie soundtracks ... with the movie attached (DVDs are cheaper than CDs for some reason that doesn't quite make sense to me).

36. The Craftsman

The Craftsman Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I'll choose 'other' then.

37. Hair band rock was THE rock music that defined the Pepsi generation.

I'd also like to point out that Metallica didn't hit it really "big" until they actually sang songs that you could understand what all of the words were. In other words, switched to more of the hair band sound. It was this change to more mainstream rock that gave them the longevity that eventually landed them in the Rock-N-Roll hall of fame.

38. Translation:

Became sell-outs.

39. KidJoe

KidJoe Guest

XM Grateful Dead for me XM rocks!!!

40. Faeryl

Faeryl Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Currently listening to Ayumi Hamasaki (specifically Angel's Song). Although I'll listen to almost anything depending on my mood at the time, I do have a preference for Ayumi, Enya and Nightwish.

41. Ailish

Ailish Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

We (hubby and I) listen to an extreme wide range. Rock from 70's to now - not sure where "rock" ends and "alternative" begins, but pretty sure we hit all forms except death metal. Also listen to about the same range in Country depending on the mood. Some pop, but mostly 80's - 90's pop as there isnt very much pop from "today" that I care for.

42. shanshu

shanshu Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

I chose "other" but really it is none. I do not listen to music while I play UO. That should have been an option.

43. Maximus Neximus

Maximus Neximus Lore Keeper
    Governor Stratics Veteran 4H

I usually just listen to the TV or some movie playing. When I do play music it's on my itunes on shuffle and I have around 15k songs...

So I voted other

44. MoneyMaker

MoneyMaker Guest

Thank You, Morgana. I was gonna say that but you saved me the trouble.:D

45. wrekognize

wrekognize Guest

I can't stop listening to this guy -----> Sufjan Stevens - The widely acclaimed Illinoise was the highest-rated album of 2005 on the Metacritic review aggregator site, based on glowing reviews from Pitchfork, The Onion A/V Club, Spin, Billboard, Entertainment Weekly, Rolling Stone, The New York Times, KEXP, and The Guardian.[39] The 2006 PLUG Independent Music Awards awarded Stevens with the Album Of The Year, Best Album Art/Packaging, and Male Artist Of The Year. Pitchfork Media, No Ripcord, and Paste Magazine named Illinoise as the editors' choice for best album of 2005 and Stevens received the 2005 Pantheon prize, awarded to noteworthy albums selling fewer than 500,000 copies, for Illinoise.

46. MoneyMaker

MoneyMaker Guest

What type of music does he do?

47. Oriana

Oriana Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Pandora or Grooveshark. Depends on which kid was at my computer last lol. As for type it varies a LOT. Show tunes, pop/rock, instrumental, Disney, Sarah Brightman, Old Ren Fest Songs (Medieval Babes are great!!), Technojust about anything but country though, nothing against it, just never cared for it. (I'm a bad ex southerner)

48. I like various types of rock including old stuff by Hendrix, Ten Years After, Grand Funk Railroad, Santana, Doors, Cream, Blind Faith, Crosby Stills Nash etc too numerous to list and newer stuff mostly by The Red Hot Chili peppers, U2, Pearl Jam, Puddle of Mudd, Porcupine Tree and some lighter stuff by KT Tunstall, Duffy .......actually there is really a lot of other artists too numerous to mention.

49. MoneyMaker

MoneyMaker Guest

The country music, I can understand. (hate it, vehemently, myself).
    But please tell us that you did not defect to the other side (yankeeland)!!!

50. Fink

Fink Guest

Almost anything (almost), currently listening to the Leningrad Cowboys.

Regarding the / categories:

Rock but not Pop
    Punk but not Alternative
    Rap but not Hip-Hop
    Soul but not R&B
    Jazz but not New Age
    Gospel but not Christian