1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

What makes a player run town different?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Kaladin, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Kaladin

Kaladin Guest

What makes a "player run" town different than any other spot in Ultima Online?

Do you actually get to govern the town or place NPC vendors or anything like that?... make taxes... have guards.... etc.

What makes magincia a "player run town" as opposed to any other spot like Luna or Tokuno?

2. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

A group of like minded people and friends that work towards what ever common goals are agreed upon by said "player town". When is is working, it is magic.

3. Kaladin

Kaladin Guest

So, that's probably not going to be Magincia.

I take it "a player run town" in the case of Magincia is going to fell more like a group of houses on an island more than a player run town.

4. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

We do not know.

New Magincia is the first one.

Luna was a rather different animal.

-Galen's player

5. yars

yars Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

as long as there is no home owners assc., ill be happy

6. smip

smip Slightly Crazed
    Premium Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

On the contraray.... There are "Player run towns" and I own a keep in one of them in Fel. Mostly they are blessed by GM's and the cities have "Names" such as mine....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Zalan

Zalan Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

New Maginica does not meet the criteria of a Player Ran Town. Its just plots that are auctioned off.

I hope the Devs can do better than a public garden. They said it would be a player driven town, and that players would influence it.

8. sablestorm

sablestorm Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

First of all, they've got plenty of time to implement new ideas for Magincia as we go. First step, get players in there. Second step, I suspect would be to get the EMs to engage the residents there for various projects. It doesn't just need to be Maginicia either. We had a blast when the EM invaded our player ran town and we fought of the evil minions who sought to destroy our town.

9. Lord Gareth

Lord Gareth UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
    Reporter Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran

10. smip

smip Slightly Crazed
    Premium Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I love it. I loved it when GM's EM's do events. It's great...

11. Fat Midnight

Fat Midnight Visitor

I was a guard in a player run town called Paws Outpost on Napa Valley, 99-00.
    It was a blast, occasionally a PK would pop in and it was my job to try and run them off. The town was "ran" by PWS(Paws Outpost Roleplayers) and played by PWZ(Paws Guards). Many of the merchants in town were EoF and they were always around. That is one part of the UO of old that I really do miss, having shopkeepers that would be there to make whatever you needed on the spot.

I was not officially on any payroll, but I made the mistake about joking about getting paid and the Coguildmistress of PWS sent me fully loaded to the bank, after about 30k I told her to stop, WTF was I going to do with that much gold?
    We had several weekly events.

At the time you could summon eles and Daemons and not go gray from attacking them, new players were invited to train on them and we managed one hell of a crowd every week.

Also dueling contests were had.

GMs-Councilors popped in semi frequently, do I remember one time a griefer was being a real pain and a GM showed up as a wolf and PK`d him in about .5 seconds lol.
    GMs also threw us a few surprises, invasions, "altered" monsters to attack our town or show up during events

At the time, Paws Tower was guild HQ, on top of it was a small "improperly placed" house.

Two or Three of the houses are still there, I wish I still had SS of the Paws of ol`, but those are long gone.

Most of the players left en mass shortly before Tram housing rolled around. I do wonder what happened to those people. :(

12. Anira Cuilwen

Anira Cuilwen Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Yea! I'd say player run town means whatever the community is able to make out of it. For instanc, Vesper on Europa is player run as part of the rp community there. And Vesper territory is respect as being free and not part of the kingdom by the EMs. Feck the evil royalists *giggle*

If people are not able to make good use of these opportunity it is not the Devs fault.

13. Fat Midnight

Fat Midnight Visitor

Definitely not the devs fault... but nothing can compare to how it used to be.

If in game CS(including councilors) and a large team of community relations people had been left at the level they once were, I think the population would not have dropped off as badly as it has.

UO back then was pure magic.

14. Ahuaeyjnkxs

Ahuaeyjnkxs stranger diamond

Which everyone who knew and could do anything about it quietly accepted a brown envelope and went their way without ever looking back... :fight:

15. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

GL's has the township of Newcastle. Located just South West of Wrong.