1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

What new skill would you like to see if asked?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Hunters' Moon, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Hunters' Moon

Hunters' Moon Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

I was working on some potions and I was thinking about what new potions I'd like made available in UO. This,in turn,lead to think on what would be nice additions to the skills we already have available.

My choice would be a debuff caster. This mage type would be nil on any direct damage,but instead would greatly add to the effectiveness of other skills.A short list of spells that come to mind would be AoE or target spells that would slow down run/mount/flight speed of the target. Reduce the HCI and DCI of the target. Also a curse spell that would increase the casting time and mana cost of spells and specials. As well as reduce the swing speed of your target.IMO,this would be a quality addition to any group that hunts in the new dungeons that encourages teaming up.

BTW,the alchemy potions I'd like to see added are explosion/conflag potions that do damage in each of the elements. Fire damage is nice,but against beasts with high fire damage,I'd like to have another option other than fire based.

2. Sauteed Onion

Well, perhaps making alchemy itself be the "debuff" skill you're talking about. That aoe run/mount/flight speed is a spell already from mysticism called Mass Sleep. Perhaps though, through additional potion types (like making the potion is 1 part, but having the alchemy skill is like evaluating intelligence is for magery or something along those lines to ensure it's just people who have dedicated a sizeable amount of alchemy into their template to make worthwhile use of the potions), we can achieve a different method of what you're talking about. Perhaps the aoe slow/mount/flight speed reducer you're talking about is an alchemical concoction of tar and animal pee or poop that actually smeers an area with it's yucky sticky stuffs and people that move through it are slowed, or stuck in it. Perhaps make a potion that is like liquid nitrogen, and freezes people for a second, and then deals cold damage over time, like "potion of frostburn".. It has to be "cured" with fire or something, so really just a different elemental type of poison that doesn't do poison damage, and isn't cured with cure spell, it's cured with somebody slappin you witha fireball. hehe. Make a potion blinds people reducing HCI and DCI. Meow. I should really just make video games.

3. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I'm not sure I want any more skills to try to squeeze in somewhere to be honest. I could go for a mud potion that slowed people down (with a resource obtained from mud pies?) and a frost potion that did cold damage (resource from frost ooze?) I guess. That would provide a reason to hunt the lesser creatures too.

Mirt, Swordsman, Lord Frodo and 5 others like this.
  4. Sauteed Onion

Also, the barding masteries are flippin wicked nasty and super helpful if you haven't run with someone using those yet since they got implemented.

AirmidCecht and Kylie Kinslayer like this.
  5. Hunters' Moon

Stratics Veteran

I think that idea would work. I do have a ninja stealther that also has the alchemy skill. The exp/conflag potions are a nice extra damage to slinging arrows,but sometimes I hunt mobs that have high fire resist and the potions just don't hit hard enough. I would just like to see aoe potions that cover each element.

6. Kylie Kinslayer

Kylie Kinslayer Grand Inquisitor

I could get on board with both of those pot ideas. Maybe spawn them from SERIOUSLY beefed up paragon Snow Elementals. Only slayer Scrappers I have crafted are 2 dang Snow Elle slayers (talk about worthless lol), would LOVE to be able to move them for a good profit :D

About the only skill I can think of to add would be one simply called Griefing. It would only have a single spell..... Purgatory. When cast, it would automatically transport the griefer to Level 4 Prison in Covetous IN the torture room. Any one who has been there, knows its a death sentence lol. You could not cast it unless you were GM, and at GM you had a 100% success rate of casting. I know I would invest the 100 points :D

Hmmmm on second thought they can just use that for the Humility virtue, surely that situation would teach 'em some humility. Dare to dream :lol:

Lord Frodo likes this.
  7. Petra Fyde

btw, how familiar are you with the spells of spellweaving? particularly Thunderstorm and Essence of Wind?

8. Kylie Kinslayer

Kylie Kinslayer Grand Inquisitor

I love 'em. Essence is not as good as wither but close, just takes a little longer to cast. But when cast it hits the whole screen, so you have to be careful with it at spawns etc. Thunderstorm was a must for me when we had those Paragon Forgotten Servants at the Wyvern renowneds. It slowed their casting time down quick. Not alot of use for me since then unless there is a huge mob of critters on my GD.

9. Hunters' Moon

Stratics Veteran

Idea for potions and what it would take to make them.

Explosion Potion + Nox Crystal x2 or Night Shade x2 = "Noxplosion" Potion. Same aoe effect as the fire based potion,but if the potion user has poisoning skill,it has a 5% chance to poison the damaged targets.

Explosion Potion + Looted Frost Ooze Item = Ice Blast. Cold damage and 5% chance to slow swing speed,movement and cast speed for a short duration.

Explosion Potion + Looted Item from EV's in Shame = Energy Blast. Energy damage. I can't think of a good side effect for this potion.

Explosion Potion + "Unknown Item" = Earthquake in a bottle. Physical Damage. 5% chance to stun target that would be comparable to the bards peacemaking but would have a much shorter duration. Any damage would break the stun.

10. Petra Fyde

confusion potion?

11. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

I think we need a farming/garthering skill.
    Reason: I like to see more trading between the crafters and the PvM'ers. Many crafters do not have the time for gathering resources from monsters The skill will help garthering resources.
    1. It will allow you to cut woods to logs without a crafting skill. in this way they can collect logs from monsters.
    2. It will automatic cut hide to leather without a butcher war clever.
    3. They can smelt ore to ingots without mining skills.
    4. They can unraw magic stuff to imbuing resources without imbuing skill
    5. They can gathering fruit from fruit trees
    7. Maybe they should gain 2 x resources on monster loot at 100 in skill, 50% extra at 50 in skill
    7. Maybe they should have 500 basis luck at gm and 250 luck at 50 in skill
    8. Maybe they should be able to carry more resources
    9. Maybe they should be able to turn in to a shadow when standing still. Something like monsters do not see them if not already angry at them and all names won't show their tag, so they will be harder to see for PK's. This will only work if not flaged, not red, grey or in faction/war.

Just an idea :)

12. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron PITMUCK

I'd rather see an old skill revamped. I've often thought that Taste ID could be made both fun and useful for resource gathering (especially for characters who have an aversion to dungeons). It would make more sense (to me) if various plants in the wilderness could be tasted, identified (think vanilla seeds and peculiar seeds) then harvested, rather than drop from monsters as they do currently.

Heh... just for added interest, there could also be a slight risk of poisoning when tasting an unknown plant.

Woodsman, Lord Nabin and soulstoner like this.
  13. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I personally would like to see some old skills either revamped or removed... Taste Id and Item Id could be rolled into some new Gardener skill like Botanist... where they could gather and find all new sorts of plants and such for growing and making potions.... like a grand addition to Alchemy. Allowing more things to be added there... And maybe allowing more dyes to be made. Stronger Stains and dyes even for ships... metals, and perhaps even stone.

I'd also rather have more spells added to Spellweaving, Necromancy and Mysticism. I think they all need at least a dozen more spells... Spellweaving could have something that weaves a rip in space to allow them to weave a moongate... as well as allowing them to use their charms on more creatures and perhaps even bond and train some of the creatures they allure. Necromancers should be able to open some sort of dark gate allowing them some form of travel... 120 necromancers should be able to raise up some sort of beast from the dead reanimate them or whatever and control them... Zombie making. Necromantic Zombies should be trainable bondable and controllable. The stronger the creature they raise the stronger the Zombie, and they should both have some skill that allows marking of runes. Mystics as well need some form of travel... and mark.

I would also like to see specials added to Ninjitsu, Bushido and Chivalry. Things that are specifically classed. Such as specialls just for Macers, for Archers and for those who use blades. Tired of being nerfed as an archer and having 120 skill invested in something I can only use less than half the specials on. Just like special moves on weapons there should be special abilities added to each of the specials for your weapon class. And I also think that Archers who use Ninjitsu should have far better accuracy with Ninja Stars.... and there should be some Daggers giving Humans/elves the ability to use throwing.

And for crafters I'd like to see a master class giving them the ability to alter items. Someone brings you a crimson you should be able to alter it into a woodland belt or just a belt... or even into a full apron. Someone hands a smith a close helm they should be able to alter that helm into a norse helm or a dragon helm or any such other thing. These Alterations could perhaps include special alchemic potions supplied by the new Botanist.

And I liked the idea someone had awhile back about Paladins getting the Silver Steed as a bondable mount.

I'd like to see more plants added to game.

14. Warpig Inc

Warpig Inc Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Husbandry (Need to get the appaloosa/clydsdale and pinto paint in the game)

Barbarian (Ol'Skool D&D type rules) Resist, buffs and mods are dictated by other noncasting skills and sacrifices. Sacrificing certain items will for 6 hours have an RNG that others get from armor, weapons and bling. Special additional sacrifice can add in a slayer ability. Even armor with more then 150 durability or rare ore/wood/leather and such would be considered tarnished and not wearable (greater lich form like lifeloss when holding or wearing magically tarnished items). Template would be resist magic/barbarian/weapon-wrestle MAYBE anatomy/tactics/heal AND last skill/s models the mod buffs gained and % level from sacrifing. Hey there should be some reward from GMing herding/camping/taste ID. And a Barbarian can only transfer pet to another barbarian and pets tamed by barbarian casting skills zeroed locked. Barbarian Bard. Alky Barbarian (add in brewing buffs for barbarians only to improve sales of upgrade). Barbarian crafters get only one resist and DI mods from runics no matter the runic type (IE dull and valorite would work the same in their hands) Magic heals bless and such on barbarians has vampire garlic burn effect on casters.

15. soulstoner

soulstoner Guest

I agree with all of that^^^ . Also have been and remain hopeful (especially given the new vanilla plant) the existing Chocolatiering menu will be expanded to enable production of buffed cakes similar to those found in this past year's Shard of the Dead or other similar type items or ingredients that may or may not be able to be combined with Alchemistic concoctions. Would luv to make use ye ol' paragon chocolate ingredients :stir:.

old gypsy likes this.
  16. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I don't think they should start adding more skills. Instead, like others have said, they should expand more on the skills we have.

I think a good start would be to start adding masteries to other skills. I could see a lot being done with this, expanding spells for magery skills based on different masteries being chosen (such as elemental mastery), maybe something like duel-wielding masteries for warrior skills, poison or buff masteries for alchemy, maybe something different for cooks to focus on as well as crafters. Plenty of room for new ideas if they are to expand the mastery idea for skills. These are just a few ideas though on what they could do.

Hunters' Moon and Sauteed Onion like this.
  17. Hunters' Moon

Stratics Veteran

Just an addendum here. We have area effect spells that can hit multiple targets and we also have some melee weapons that allow us to hit all adjacent targets in one swipe. I feel that archers should also get an "arrow barrage" that shoots one arrow at each target in a given area. This could work very much like chain lightning.

18. Doubleplay

Doubleplay Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I would like to see Huntsman or Huntress as a profession. Let's say you slay three of every mob in game up to a certain level, you get to adept, and etc. At grandmaster level, perhaps you would earn a universal slayer bonus to your character that would give you additional damage against all monsters. Perhaps for the much higher end mobs at the champ level, to gain experience and advance your character, some amount of hitpoint percentage of the total on the kill (like 10%) would result in advancement of character skill.

Advancing this skill would require the player to interact in all areas of Sosaria, something the game needs.

19. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

Item ID = Archaelogy :) I could finally make my Indiana Jones template.

Hey, there's stuff with heirlooms going on in the story arc, it's feasible!

Although their might be some overlap with Cartography and Forensic Evaluation

Jones Template:
    Forensic Evaluation
    Item Identification
    Cartography
    Chivalry
    Resisting Spells
    Detecting Hidden
    Lockpicking
    Remove Trap

Too many skills.

CovenantX likes this.
  20. sablestorm

sablestorm Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

A suggestion I made ages ago and one I'd still be interested in seeing was to take the Item ID skill and change it to Leadership and take the Begging skill and change it to the support skill Persuasion. Now Persuasion will still allow a person to beg and enjoy the benefits of trick or treating, but it would also become a support skill for leadership. Perhaps it could even bolster bard skills, allowing bards to affect previously unbardable creatures.

Leadership, meanwhile, would be similar to taming, but it would be for NPC hires. The skills of the NPCs would be limited by the Leadership skill level, so if you only have 50 Leadership, your NPCs could only gain up to 50 skill. The big thing with NPCs is being able to equip them with normal equipment players can utilize. So you can manage their resists more than tamers would be able to and equip them with slayer weapons for battling specific types of creatures.

I would also like to see Taste ID changed into a farming skill. Farming is an important profession which got ignored in UO. I have no idea how to implement it yet, but it is something I'd like to see.

21. AirmidCecht

AirmidCecht twitch.tv/airmid

Taste ID is still broked past skill 75 last I checked, I hope it gets fixed soon.

LOVE Woodman's Archaelogy idea! Think of these heirlooms with the Jukas and Meers.

Skills added? Not so much but skill enhancement along the lines of Bard Masteries is something I would get behind.

Mages have 64 spells at their disposal but how many are truly every day useful? My challenge has been using direct damage spells instead of relying on the go to EV cast. EVs are good because they are dispelled less than all the other summons. Too many summons insta-poof but then you run the risk of them being too enhanced with tweaking. Perhaps a boost to mage's summons if they have enough evalint, int, etc and a skill buff of some sort.

At this point I'm just rambling so....

22. CovenantX

CovenantX Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

There are Tar Potions that slow movement speed like "sleep" or "splintering weapon", I believe it's a quest reward from one of the NPC's in the Underworld.

I also think the chance of it slowing your target is based on the targets resisting spells skill.

23. ShadowTrauma

ShadowTrauma Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I like reading alot of these ideas. I think we all agree it would be nice if the skills we have currently available were all useable in a feasible way.

Post more ideas! Please.

24. PlayerSkillFTW

PlayerSkillFTW Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Mass Sleep.

Thunderstorm, Essence of Wind, and Mind Rot.

"Lightning Arrow" special on the Magical Shortbow. Only hits 3 targets at a time though.

25. Hunters' Moon

Stratics Veteran

All you have listed are spells. I am asking for the same effects made available in alchemy. As for the lightning arrow,I'd still want to see a "multi-shot" given to archery that has nothing to do with lightning(energy) damage.

26. Raptor85

Raptor85 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I'd rather see existing skills used effectively than more skills added where 1-2 spells of the entire skill are ever used. For instance we have tinkers who can craft golems and a few other mechanical creatures now....but since they start low skill and need to be trained quite a bit before they're useful....and they can't be bonded and die easily at most things it was a useless addition. That said i'd like to see lumberjacking serve purpose in combat again (I know they just "changed" it but the damage bonus it adds is so patheticly small....average 2-3 damage per hit after armor...that it's a pointless waste of 100 points)....

even after saying that though, I don't really want them to be CHANGING anything right now, not with how broken things are....I'd much rather see at least some of the HUGE LIST OF GAMEBREAKING BUGS being compiled here (not to mention the lists of thousands of them kept elsewhere) start being taken care of...there's bugs dating back to 1999 now that the kevs keep saying will eventually be fixed until everyone finally forgets about it and doing the "workaround" just becomes natural. I want to see the tileset fixed, container bug fixed, gypsies/brigands/mages turned back on so the world doesn't look depressingly empty, night sight to not fall off randomly, pets to stop randomly "poofing" etc...etc...etc....

27. Mirt

Mirt Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I love the idea of adding in new potions it seems that right now alchemy is a bit on the weak side and I think adding in some more options would be a good idea.

28. Gary Rendol

Gary Rendol Guest

I would personally like to see some mastery added to combat and magery. Such as maybe special spell combos or attemting to do a armor ignore that will also cause a bleed or mortal, anything new would be nice to combat of magic and melee.

29. Roland Of Gilead

Roland Of Gilead Seasoned Veteran
    Governor Stratics Veteran

Archers have a lightning strike special that does that.Its on the Magical Shortbow.All weapon skills have at least one area affect special like this so really i wish i could use it on any weap i choose but at least theres 1 in each weap skill.

30. Roland Of Gilead

Roland Of Gilead Seasoned Veteran
    Governor Stratics Veteran

Kung Fu :) Who dont wanna have a Bruce LeeRoy Runnin around kung fu fighting?Perhaps give u a bonus to hand to hand fighting that makes it on par with weapon skills nice boost to med for specials maybe works better with wrestling for hand to hand combat or with other weapon skills to make use of cool new Kung fu swords an other weaps...:) i mean we got ninjas and samurais whats the dif?:)

31. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

New skill? umm Cartographic transferrence or some weird name. Allow you to take two of the stupid pinks and combine em into one useful one. Item ID and Camping can be combined into a .1 or .2 of your choice...
    etc.

32. Cetric

Cetric Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

i love the idea of expanding alchemy. if they ever did it though.... make it so potions weigh one stone instead of two if you have like 75+ alchemy or something.

33. Flutter

Flutter Always Present

Construction worker skill.
    You could go around building houses that other people could walk up and buy depending on the house value.

34. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I always wished I could build a house ..... Save it... put it into deed form and sell it. Put that on a vendor someone buys my design.... takes it home clicks "customize house" .... and then under that "Use Design Deed" It then uploads the design from the deed and boom all you have to do is hit save.

Of course then they would have to deco the house still but... It's all good. Only thing that would be cooler would be if the deed could be used as a Mini.... for display...

Martyna Zmuir likes this.