1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

What's Next for Ultima?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by BastianHawk, Sep 25, 2015.

1. BastianHawk

BastianHawk Adventurer

Just curious. I maybe out of the loop and I'm super excited for the Time of Legends but I often wonder what is next. Will we see a next generation to this game by way of a new client or possibly some sort of sequel? I've played since 1999 and I'm loyal but I'm also looking forward.

Basically, as a digital pack rat and money hoarder, will Ultima die off and I lose my years of collecting or will this be passed on one day to a re-imagining of the game. Just thinking about it while I should be working. :eyes:

2. PlayerSkillFTW

PlayerSkillFTW Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Ultima Online 2 was in the works until it got canceled in 2001. They canceled production of it because they didn't want UO 2 to compete with UO 1 for subscribers. They did plan to shutdown UO when either UO2 or Ultima X: Odyssey were released.

3. Theron

Theron Sage

If it didn't die yet, I doubt it will die anytime soon.
    If you want a sequel check out "Shroud of the Avatar" on steam which many consider the sequel as it is also created by Richard Garriott. It' still in development/Early Access.

Drelkag and BastianHawk like this.
  4. BastianHawk

BastianHawk Adventurer

Ya I saw MakreeDragon playing this, I'll have to give it a good look. Not that I'll stop playing Ultima of course. It's like my secret Canadian family that I will always have but few people know about. ;)

Kolka likes this.
  5. BastianHawk

BastianHawk Adventurer

I remember watching UO2 at the time, seeing screen shots and then hearing that it was shutdown. I'm glad they did tbh.

6. Victim of Siege

Victim of Siege Crazed Zealot
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Safe Haven

7. Theron

Theron Sage

Be sure to check out the reviews first, especially the negative ones on Steam. As I understand "Shroud of the Avatar", or SOTA, seems to be a bit of a let down to several people, but it'll be up to you to judge ;)

8. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I doubt you see another client lol. After cancelling two sequels, then the poor Third Dawn, the forgotten KR, and then the poorly received EC...
    Might could get a decent client out if they farmed it out to someone else, but for some reason the home team seems to strike out. Even the EC-which was sposed to be the CC killer-isnt cutting it with everyone. All that talk about the CC needing UOA to do things ...but the EC players actually pay Pinco for the EC version of UOA. go figure...

9. codemonkey84

codemonkey84 Adventurer

Solution - hire pinco for EC UI

Parnoc and BastianHawk like this.
  10. Gamer_Goblin

An expansion is coming out... I don't understand the need to look for what's next.

Madam Mim likes this.
  11. whiterabbit

whiterabbit Stratics Legend
    Professional Premium Stratics Veteran Supporter Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter PITMUCK

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . The goblin looks at the other 2 and peees alla ober dem

Lord Arm likes this.
  12. Dot_Warner

Dot_Warner Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Britain [BRIT]

Much of the KR art was farmed out to someone else... and it mostly sucked. While world art was liked (for the most part), item graphics were of unacceptably low quality (many you couldn't tell WTF they were).

He was. The current "Default" UI in the EC is Pinco's work. It is a somewhat stripped-down version of his current downloadable UI.

The major problem with the EC graphics is the poor upscaling done on CC assets, making many things look blurry or slightly wrong. Then there was the bewildering choice to completely change the look of some mobs.

If they gave us the ability to us KR world art in the EC (though some things would need tweaked) and then redid the changed mobs to more closely resemble their CC originals, the adoption rate would be higher. Lastly, they need to increase the resolution (and the height) of the player avatars.

Consider how awful the CC will be to use on a 4K, let alone an 8K, monitor at its native resolution...

MalagAste and HoneythornGump like this.
  13. Mavar

Mavar Visitor

Happy 18th!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

14. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

No.

old gypsy likes this.
  15. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron PITMUCK

A bit off-topic, but... I never knew (until now) who Rowsdower was. o.0

16. Angel of Sonoma

Angel of Sonoma Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

if history repeats itself, there will be huge changes to armor, weapons, and jewelry requiring everyone to relearn what pieces make a decent suit.

Masuri and kelmo like this.
  17. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

And then the Drow grabs the Goblin by the ears hauls him up and slams him repeatedly into the bar before chucking it's lifeless corpse aside. Then forces the gargoyle to mop up the mess.

whiterabbit likes this.
  18. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

You poor uninitiated soul! He is a hero to Canadians everywhere! :D

club-mst3k.com if you want to enjoy one of the best tv series ever made!

19. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron PITMUCK

That might explain it. I moved around a lot over the years, but never quite made it to Canada. :)

20. railshot

railshot Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I agree. I see few of the principles that made UO great in SOTA. Not only I don't see it as a UO2, I expect it to fail altogether.

21. Victim of Siege

Victim of Siege Crazed Zealot
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Safe Haven

Then the Gargoyle slow roasts the Drow

whiterabbit likes this.
  22. whiterabbit

Professional Premium Stratics Veteran Supporter Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter PITMUCK

garg chokes to death ona drow bone

Kolka, old gypsy and Victim of Siege like this.
  23. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Which principals exactly? UO was pretty damn basic and terribly unbalanced to be quite honest. The thing that made it great was that it was a novel experience.

24. railshot

railshot Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

UO is, most of all, a world players live in. This is, in my opinion, why so many play it for years without getting bored. SOTA is a collection of tiny instanced rooms.

whiterabbit likes this.
  25. Zuckuss

Zuckuss Order | Chaos
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni K^S

The drow bone was ironically the goblin's twin brother cast under an evil spell which would turn him into a drow bone for all of eternity unless the curse was broken by specifically passing through a gargoyle's windpipe. He peed on them, walked away and no one ever knew the difference. Everyone lived happily ever after and the thread was brought back on topic.

26. whiterabbit

27. Arcus

Arcus Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Yea, the combat system is a total loss at this point. The only rationale behind doing combat in the way they did is lack of resources for client to server comms and local distribution of info in a timely fashion. WoW's combat system is dated ( tab target ) and GW2 and Wildstar combat is what many consider to be current design.

SOTA took it back to the stone age .

The game is a real letdown and IMHO will never be anything but a small niche if it ever gets out of the "early access" phase.

28. Arcus

Arcus Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Yep, this is the other huge mistake. Its a joke to compare SOTA to UO. UO is more advanced in realism in some ways.

29. Theron

Theron Sage

To be perfectly honest, and I do recognize my own lack of higher knowledge on the matter, when I had a look at SOTA I didn't see anything that hasn't been done already elsewhere.

For me the biggest difference between UO and SOTA, besides everything else that's obvious, would be that UO was a pioneer when it came out setting a standard while SOTA didn't really bring anything new at this stage. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's just my 2cents...