1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

What's the point of [renowned] mobs?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Miriandel, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Miriandel

Miriandel Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

I need imbuing components constantly since I'm a crafter *sigh* and so I have to put up with Abyss spawns.

Hunting there is not too bad, but why the renowned?
    They give no loot and some of them take 30 minutes to kill, why that grind?

2. Sir Kenga

Sir Kenga Guest

To reset spawn :) And they drop arties, but it's really rare.

3. They can also drop ingredients now. Some of the arties they drop aren't half bad either. I've gotten 3 different ones so far and they were all pretty decent.

4. deraiky

deraiky Guest

To make it take longer to farm those resources...

5. Miriandel

Stratics Veteran

Yep, that's pretty much the only reason I can think of.

6. Klapauc

Klapauc Sage
    Stratics Veteran

The game mechanics down there seem to prevent unattended farming very well.May be one of the reasons why it was done this way.
    I cant talk about the pixie,but i do not believe you could take 30 min for any of the other renowned bosses,because for all of them is a slayer weapon/spellbook.
    Maybe they should take some hitpoints from the ratmen and give them to the poor goblins,all else is fine.

7. Lord Urza

Lord Urza Guest

I think the abyss is great, all the mods make alot of sense to me, I hope future dungeons are build similar to this one. Things in uo are allready way to easy to get, somethings need to be harder to get to sustain anything having any worth.
    I think the ish dungeons, and virtue/anti virture duneons should be tweaked a bit to make them more worth hunting in, and the items obtained there harder to get.
    There should allso be another round of spring cleaning turn ins with a wide range of items you can turn in and some majorly high point items that will really entice players into cleaning out items they would have otherwise held on to, to get rid of some of the over abundent items that should still have some monitary worth in game.

8. Mitzlplik_SP

Mitzlplik_SP Guest

Bah......just another GIMME MORE AND GIMME IT NOW AND I DON`T WANNA DO JACK TO GET IT thread.

Some things in this game are hard to aquire....as they should be, get used to that. :thumbup1:

9. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

The area where most of the ingredients drop (ratmen area) doesn't have hard renowned mobs, just ones that take forever to kill while you go drive to Wal-Mart and come back.

10. Assia Penryn

Assia Penryn The Sleeping Dragon
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Is there a link to what rare items the renowned drop?

11. Mitzlplik_SP

Mitzlplik_SP Guest

LOL drive to Walmart :lol:

I gotchya. I missinterpeted this as one of those other threads.

12. cutty

cutty Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

with the right template, none of the renowneds take any more than a few minutes to kill. leave the tamers at home, and bring a sammie. with a double axe, i can kill the ratmen renowneds or the wyvern in less than 5 minutes every time.

13. Warpig Inc

Warpig Inc Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Tamer in a luck suit is the best way. Discord Tamer with 5 frenzy/hellcats/hellhounds. Hell the Gaman don't have pack but work just as well. Take a friend with a GD or better a runebeetle so the little guys can do their job. I understand plp like or have to solo for what ever reason. When it comes to hunting a little teaming makes it go 3x faster.

14. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Everything's already been covered but just for the Hell of it let me add my own variations on the reasons others have already covered.

1. An obstacle. Makes the spawns harder to camp, makes it more fun and more "realistic" within the terms of the fantasy genre. (This is the damn Abyss....)

2. Rare artifact drop. (For a list of all SA artifacts look for the original SA publish notes. It'll be something from that list. I just don't know if every Renowned can drop every artifact from that list or only certain ones.)

3. This stuff is way more fun when it is, while doable, not easy.

4. Others have said they drop ingredients now. That's pretty cool. I haven't killed a Renowned since the last publish, I guess.

While we're here...Team, if you are reading this, as others have already mentioned, the Goblin Renowneds have clearly had some of their Hit Points stolen away by the Ratmen Renowneds.

I don't think it'd hurt even solo farmers that much if the Goblin Renowneds had more HP. It'd just make things more interesting.

-Galen's player

15. BeefSupreme

BeefSupreme Guest

They do, but from experience, it looks like they have the same chance of dropping ingredients as any of the other spawn. Would be nice if they guaranteed a random drop.

16. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

They're all fine with the hit points they have, although goblins could stand a bit of a boost. What bugs me is the way the few artificats they reward end up on the ground for someone else to pick up. If the idea behind that mechanism is to prevent farming for artifacts, just have the artifacts spawn in the corpse so you have to dig through it to find it. Letting someone else, especially a stealther who did absolutely nothing to earn it, get it is just infuriatingly stupid.

17. Klapauc

Klapauc Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Artys end up on the ground yes.Im not sure if everybody can pick them up because i have seen artys on the ground i could NOT pick up (spawn location was accesible).
    Artifacts do also spawn out of reach if you are unlucky.

18. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

I wonder if the ones you couldn't pick up were stealable artifacts that would have spawned anyway in that location? Next time you see one, you might see if a character with high stealing skill can grab it.

Edited to add:

I just submitted the following questions in the Ask the Devs forum. Hopefully someone will provide a reply.

19. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

The problem with that is that as soon as the cleaning event is over people will just start filling up their houses with whatever junk they can find in hopes of yet another cleaning event.

So the only time the shard is "cleaned up" is those days just before and after the event ended...

20. Miriandel

Stratics Veteran

Can someone point me to slayer for pets please?

Geez...

21. There has been talk of maybe adding 1.0 Sots as a random/rare drop on these..that would be something nice to see.

22. Lord Urza

Lord Urza Guest

Ill give it to you, that that is 100% true about a spring cleaning system
    That is why it needs to be a spring cleaning event, that takes place after a reworking of many dungeons, areas, and Item Drop Chances.
    At least if most drops are rarer It will take people longer to hoard them again. And I think the spring cleaning items need to cost so many points it wouldnt be easy to get a ton of them.
    Spring cleaning alone does little to help anything, but perhaps in conjunction with several other steps being takes to promote the same outcome it would have a greater effect on the economy.
    Im just thinking out loud tho really.
    Id just really at this point like to see a major issue addressed, and i belive the economy is the best place to start.

23. lucitus

lucitus UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

Another question, would anybody in the abyss if there are no imbuing ingredents?

No? Uhhm why not? Bad loot, to strong monsters, no adventure...

Does also anybody know for what the boss resources are, Stygian Dragon Head and Claw of Slasher of Veils?

24. Stupid Miner

Stupid Miner Guest

Pack Instinct.

25. They should have made the renowned spawns more attractive and fun, killing the same mobs over and over then wading through endless corpses just makes gathering a chore, especially when the so called cherry on top of cake turns out to be a coffee flavoured revel.

26. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

IF it isn't here:
    http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=156965

I don't know ... use CTRL + F function and use search term too

well here is one post
    http://vboards.stratics.com/showpost.php?p=1415409&postcount=127

another
    http://vboards.stratics.com/showpost.php?p=1415591&postcount=128

but both are about rats i think and i heard from Crysta or someone one day that one rat has a spinning wheel you can't pick-up lol

27. Assia Penryn

Assia Penryn The Sleeping Dragon
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

28. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

there must be a better thread somewhere though :/

29. Harlequin

Harlequin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Seeing that they didn't give them separate loot tables, one of the main reasons I think is to deter script farming.

On a certain level, it is quite well thought out.

The devs did mention that the renowned loot tables would be fixed. Hope they add guaranteed ingredients.

HP wise, I too agree that the renowned ratmen had theirs buffed too much. Haven't done the goblin one, so I am not sure about that.

I am guessing they initially based this on how hard hitting the mob is - less dangerous renowned mobs get a higher hp boost while stronger mobs get less of a hp boost.