1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

What's the point of the tiny soccer field in Luna?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Maximinus Thrax, Feb 29, 2008.

1. OK, I realize it's probably for bag-ball or something boring like that.

What I don't understand is why there isn't a major arena (either a large Amphitheatre, or Colosseum) anywhere to be seen in UO.

UO is community driven, yet the only place we really gather together to sit around is at the Luna Bank, and there we pretty much do nothing but spam buy/sell.

I'd really enjoy watching some chariot races, jousting events, wrastlynge, shuriken duels, etc. We can't do this, however, as there seems to really be no support.

I do understand that we can customize our houses to act as such arenas, but we're limited in scope, and our obscure locations are not prime candidates for hosting exciting events like a recreation of a Naval Battle! I allude to the theory that the Colosseum in Rome was filled with water for mock Naval Battles.

An amphitheatre would be just as great, as perhaps to encourage the artistic folks to put on some performances for us all to see.

So let's blast some rock, and build us some cultural centers that every civilization has recognized as being socially necessary.

2. Jhelom fighting pits not enough for you?

3. <blockquote><hr>

OK, I realize it's probably for bag-ball or something boring like that.

[/ QUOTE ]Ever tried playing a game of bagball? It's great fun I tell you!

4. Azmira Zalof

Azmira Zalof Guest

I think it was force jousting when lances first came out and you could use em while mounted.

5. Tazar

Tazar Guest

What about the arena NE of Umbra? We have used it for guild events several times. While not huge, it is a decent size.

6. I know we have rinky-dink stuff;wouldn't you all love a massive arena with sight-lines to the center for everyone to actually see what's happening? Something authentic, and cultural [​IMG]

A place where the community can hold events, as well as for UO to host?

7. Hunters' Moon

Hunters' Moon Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

What about the arena NE of Umbra? We have used it for guild events several times. While not huge, it is a decent size.

[/ QUOTE ]And there is the animal pen NW of the city of Brit. Though it is not huge,it can be used as a jousting area or a fighting pit.

8. Sees Far

Sees Far Guest

In the past week, my guild has had jousting and dueling tournaments in the arena.

9. <blockquote><hr>

OK, I realize it's probably for bag-ball or something boring like that.

[/ QUOTE ]Bagball is actually quite fun! I had a good team on chessy years ago... Now that I think of it we went undefeated 3 or 4 weeks in a row...

10. Actually...considering the populations average height ...UO is pretty realistic ...
    ie.
    if you ain't "front row" ... your line of sight IS the back of someones head ....
    [​IMG]

Trial of Ricardo ... good example ...

oh yeah! [​IMG]
    What's the point of the tiny soccer field in Luna?
    point of interest ...[​IMG] (even though it didn't actually make the UO Auto Map list)

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Used for duelling events. Better than bagball!

12. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

I know we have rinky-dink stuff;wouldn't you all love a massive arena with sight-lines to the center for everyone to actually see what's happening? Something authentic, and cultural

[/ QUOTE ]

Well considering how the game is designed unless everyone is sitting in one specific spot that goal is impossible.

The umbra arena is very large, and about as good as it gets for everyone being able to see wise.

13. Dean478

Dean478 Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

This sort of gameplay is long gone thanks to 8 character slots and the new mechanics the recent expansions have been introduciing...

14. Guest

Guest Guest

The problem with most of the mentioned locations is if you want to duel or have jousting tournaments, all the participants have to be guilded or allied.

Then, if someone IS willing to host an event in Fel, either people are afraid to come, or there is not any area that suits the desires of those doing the hosting.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Seems Magencia is in need of a new purpose in life. Might bring back the scattered town folk if they had the UO Dome in the center of their rubble spewn town. I'd even turn in some of my rubble pieces to have a brick or two of the structure inscribed with my char's name on it. Of course some memorial should be placed for the numerous players that died repeated fighting the hoards as well as the truely missing town folk. Where ever did the mayor end up, thought he would have to eat his words.

Too bad the devs can't make such a structure have different rules such as you can attack anyone, can't be looted, and won't lose insurance if killed. Would be fun to practice pvp (rarely have done it personally) without the pain.

Just a few ramdom thoughts, enjoy!!!

16. I just posted the same idea a few days ago in another thread.....

<blockquote><hr>

some kind of perminant Arena where you could duel all the time. Gain points towards some new pixel crack. Like the Roman Colosseum.
    Hell that would be fun...no more getting ganked. 1 on 1 all the time, earning points towards something.....Crowds of people watching....thieves pick pocketing in the stands......tigers and lions released at the whim of Emperor Draconi........thumb down!!!! Heck I might even do that!

[/ QUOTE ]

<blockquote><hr>

Think of it.....you could fight for a while if you win enough you can gain "prominence" and be considered on the next level. So you fight others with the same "level" as you. As you gain levels in the Arena you can challenge the Arena Champion for Dominance!
    All your fights would be tracked and you gain points or something to mark your victories. The higher you go in the rankings you could earn items that are useful in PVP battle. Of course those items are only useable by the character that earned them and only in PVP(in the Arena or out) so nobody can sell them to others. And since you can't sell them as your source of income you could win Gold for your fights!
    Complete revitilization of PVP!
    and.......somebody could throw a bone to Factions somehow too. I dunno, faction nights at the arena.
    Ohhh maybe the Devs could create a tiny shard where you could import your Arena Fighter so you can challenge Arena fighters from other shards! Even a Grand Melee of the Arena Champions from all the shards!

[/ QUOTE ]

17. Great minds think alike [​IMG]

And no I didn't see your post, sorry for unintentional plagiarism.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

I found someone (me) had even mentioned the Bagball field and the coliseum theories in a single post:

As well, it has been long-desired before I ever posted about it.

(I also discussed that want, as well as others, with a UO dev last September.)

I think ya' have a pretty good idea
    [​IMG]

19. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Well considering how the game is designed unless everyone is sitting in one specific spot that goal is impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]
    KR's zoom-out is your friend when it comes to watching events across a field.

20. Redrum1

Redrum1 Guest

Well in RL no one plays soccer(atleast in the states) so UO wanted to mirror RL! A stadium with no one doing anything in it.

21. Guest

Guest Guest

Oh I remember Bagball tournaments on Great Lakes... and being a cheerleader for the Yew Militia..... ah those were the days.... (Until a few people ruined it by greifing, I recall one particular fellow insisted that he train on his golem right in the center of the field and refused to budge despise our desire to use the field and another stealthy fellow who kept taking the bagball) the idea was nice... but with no GM's to deal with griefers often schedualed events that should be fun for the croud turn out to be a waste of time and effort. Few bad eggs spoiled that pot.... So the tournaments went to private homes and the "audience" could never find the arena's and eventually the games died. Such is the shame. I ran across my cheerleading uniform not long ago..... *Sighs*.... Ah well. Occasionally we used to hold PvP tournaments there as well for the seating... that goes for the arena near Umbra as well.... But again..... griefers make it nearly impossible to count on it's use.

22. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

The main problem with the bag ball court is it uses Trammel push though rule set. How do you block?

23. Marlo25

Marlo25 Guest

24. Marlo25

Marlo25 Guest

Aaaand nevermind. That's what everyone already referred to as the Umbra arena...long day.

25. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

I know we have rinky-dink stuff;wouldn't you all love a massive arena with sight-lines to the center for everyone to actually see what's happening? Something authentic, and cultural [​IMG]

A place where the community can hold events, as well as for UO to host?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya! Make it in Fel though please!