1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

What's wrong with Smith?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Schuyler Bain, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Schuyler Bain

Schuyler Bain Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

What is wrong with the name Smith as a character's name? You can use Smyth, Smithe and Smithy. I thought perhaps because it sounds like a profession name (Blacksmith", but you can use Crafter, Tailor and Carpenter. You can also use JoeSmith with no space.

So what gives, why can't I use the name "Smith?"

2. Skrag

Skrag Visitor

I think it autoblocks the names of Ultima lore characters. Smith was the easter egg talking Horse who would tell you to write to Richard Garriot. Can't believe they included him on the list. lol

3. Violence

Violence Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I was going to reply "Because of Neo.." but nevermind now... :mf_prop:

4. PsychoKinetic

PsychoKinetic Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

LOL, Agent Smith was the first thing I thought of too...

5. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I wonder when and why that was changed - we've several old-time characters on Europa with 'Smith' in their name, and even had plenty of pumpkins spawn in the last few days to prove it!

Edit : Or maybe they all have additional letters ... hmm... have to go check that.

Bizarre... can create a Blacksmith, but not a 'Smith'..... or rather I thought I could! 'Smith' is rejected immediately, but Blacksmith is fine until you choose a template, and then becomes unacceptable...

6. Babble

Babble Guest

They took all the profession names on the naming liste when some people names their chars Banker and seemingly some people handed gold over to them.

7. Schuyler Bain

Schuyler Bain Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Mr. Anderson... :eyes:

Interesting explanations on why this is the case...

8. Titans1

Titans1 Visitor

Smith was a talking horse in the original Ultima series. People who played those original games should know Smith well.