1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

When can we expect Linux support?

Discussion in 'Project Gorgon: Ask the Devs' started by Kusaha, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Kusaha

Kusaha Visitor

I am a huge fan of this game, was playing with it on windows, but I recently changed to Linux, tried to get it to work with Wine, but it wasn't working (no texts).

So I wondering when will be the native Linux support arrive? Really looking forward to it!

2. Citan

Citan Project: Gorgon Developer
    VIP

I'm not really sure. We actually have a Linux version working, and in fact we use a modified version of the Linux client to run part of the game's AI. So I'm sure there will be a Linux version, because we've already done a lot of the work for it.

But the past few versions of the Unity middleware has had a lot of serious Linux bugs, with graphics, GUI input, keyboard focus, all kinds of things that are too low-level for us to work around. A bunch of those issues were fixed recently, so I'll test it out again in a few weeks and see how it's working. I know there are at least a few remaining bugs with text-entry to fix, so it will definitely still be buggy, but it may be "good enough" to be worth showing off.

If it's still very buggy and we can't work around the issues, though, we'll hold off on it until Unity 5 comes out.

3. Kusaha

Kusaha Visitor

Thank you for the answer, looking forward to it.
    If it's not a problem could you share with us the result of the test? (next blog post, or another forum post here) [even if it's unsuccessful]

4. Citan

Citan Project: Gorgon Developer
    VIP

Sure thing, will report back here. I hope to do the test this month, because it would be great to have the Linux version available during the Kickstarter next month if possible. So fingers are crossed!