1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[Mining] where is best place to mine at 85 skill?

Discussion in 'UO Craftsman' started by Etoh, May 24, 2011.

1. Etoh

Etoh Guest

mining seems so time consuming and fruitless so far... i've been mining randomly around the mountains north of Luna and such but haven't gained any skill and keep mining 99% iron ore only... some copper and shadow, but nothing that would help to increase my current 85 mining skill...

are there other locations specifically that i would be better off mining at, or is everywhere equal in chances of getting higher difficulty ores?

i haven't mined in any dungeons yet... should i? (and only in Trammel)

thanks,
    Etoh

2. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

lot of good info here
    Professions: the Miner

if i remember correctly (been a long time) smelt your ore 1 piece at a time for best gains especially the higher colored or you can do

3. Etoh

Etoh Guest

thanks! that's a great tip to smelt one ore at a time! i was smelting the huge ore piles i was getting..

4. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

85 skill can still gain smelting DC, Shadow and copper
    DC to 90
    Shadow to 95
    Copper to 100

it's just that gains are very slow, hence the need to smelt them one ore at a time to get gains.

You can also get gains from digging all the way to 100, even if it's iron being dug. The digging part of mining isn't metal-type based, only the smelting of the ore is metal-type-based (and you occasionally can get mining gains from recycling smith items of metals you aren't 100% to smelt).

5. Gorbs

Gorbs Sage
    Stratics Veteran

I'd suggest mining in the twisted weald after being disco'd by a satyr.

6. Etoh

Etoh Guest

do you mean when i have musical notes coming out? i noticed when i am there i always can't cast spells because i am "calmed" by someone.. i don't even know who is casting those musical notes on me! is this what you mean by disco'd?

i don't think the satyrs do anything to me... only the changelings pester me (and i assumed the changelings were the ones also making me calm so i can't cast on them when they attack me)

7. Etoh

Etoh Guest

oh okay, i guess i thought i would only gain from digging colored ore... i've never tried recycling yet.. but now i will.. mining is so tedious and slow... only a few clicks each spot then move a bit, and repeat... >_<

8. Gorbs

Gorbs Sage
    Stratics Veteran

See here: Satyr Trick - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia

9. Silverbird

Silverbird Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

You need so many ingots to train/work on anything (tinkering, blacksmithing, bods, heartwood smithing recipes) that i personally never cared too much about fast mining training. I can always use my ingots faster up than i can mine them.

10. Etoh

Etoh Guest

that's true, me too.. always seem to never have enough ingots.

would be nice if they setup npc ingot shops that actually have infinite amounts of ingots (in all colors) for sale...

11. Basara

Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

When you need shadow ore, the (Tokuno)Yomotsu Mine's shadow elementals and (Tram & Fel) Orc Mine's Orc Brutes provide 25 shadow ore a pop - and the Orc Mine even has a functional forge in the middle of the Brute room.

If you are combat-capable, or can get a buddy to go along, the Brutes are really nice. In a 2-person set-up, they party, the combat guy soloes the Brutes, while the miner loots the ore, and smelts while they wait for the next brute to spawn.

12. Barok

Barok Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Would you say the brutes are easier or harder than valorite ore elementals?

13. Basara

considering they don't reflect your hits back on you, the brutes are easy with an orc slayer (won't even have to use enemy of one). They don't seem to have the powers that the event Brutes had (in the events Brutes were used in, they'd throw OTHER ORCS at you for damage if you used magery or archery, giving you more to fight).