1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Where to go?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Sahjahn, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Sahjahn

Sahjahn Visitor

Hi all,

Returning player here after taking a small (9 year) break from UO. I remember back in the day when your skills were around 60 -70 a great place to go was Despise. You could build your skills and as a new player get a nice little bank account started.

However Despise seems to have changed over the years. A lot. I must admit I'm feeling a little lost now and am not sure where a good hunting spot would be. Any suggestions?

2. BeaIank

BeaIank Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

The loss of Despise is one we mourn to this day...
    It was a huge loss.

I'd suggest covetous level 1, at the harpy area.
    Not very profitable, but they won't aggro on you until you attack them, and you can collect a huge stack of feathers there.
    You will get decent gains there up to 95 or so.

Minerva Foxglove likes this.
  3. Miri of Sonoma

Miri of Sonoma Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I agree Bealank, While I like the concept of the new Despise,I really wish they had chosen a different dungeon for it and left Despise as it was. it was a perfect training dungeon. :(

Sahjohn- Welcome home!! :) You might also try Shame (stay near the entrance it has changed also), or the black solen infiltrators in the maze below Wind. Later on the painted caves give you good gains but can get a bit hectic if your healing isn't up to snuff.

Good luck!

#3 Miri of Sonoma, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
    Minerva Foxglove and BeaIank like this.
  4. Sahjahn

Sahjahn Visitor

Thanks for the replies! It really is a shame about Despise, but I will take your advice and try the areas you suggested.

5. BeaIank

BeaIank Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

Yes, it was. It allowed young toons to also get a decent amount of gold during their training.
    I still remember how thrilled I was the day I made my first 200K and could afford that all 70s, 100 LRC, MR 6 suit, all from killing Ettins at Despise.
    We don't have anything quite like that anymore.

Well, the suggestions of Shame level 1 (near the entrance, or the altar), as well as Wind Labyrinth are great ones. Painted caves is a good place once you have a repond slayer with mana leech and life leech. You will be able to get a fair amount of coin there.

Minerva Foxglove likes this.
  6. Veldrane

Veldrane Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Yes, I was quite disappointed when I came back to UO and saw what Despise had become. However, I found the newbie dungeon in New Haven and Fel Despise (L1 & L2) to both be good places. I saw that Wrong got updated too, but I'm not for sure if it got too buffed for non geared out players - that's on my list of places to check this coming weekend.

7. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Actually I recommend going to the Desert outside Tokuno.... to the North.... Kill Orcs up there.

8. Ray_Martin

Ray_Martin Journeyman

Haven has a Earth Ele spawn in it's dungeon. There is a new one by the miners. You can also kill the undead to the east of town if you're not high enough to kill the elementals. An earth ele slayer is pretty common drop.

9. Dragonater

Dragonater Journeyman

Actually, if I remember correctly, The miner's cave was set up as a mini Despise after complaints about losing the orig. Despise. It has 2 floors Earth on top with Gargs and Ogre Lords below really nice for leveling up newer chars. and a little loot. If ya want to try it, Sahjahn, from Haven go South along shoreline just a short distance and you're there

10. Tamais

Tamais Lake Austin Reporter
    Reporter Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron Editor

There are also lizard men on the second level of the new haven mine.

11. Endal

Endal Journeyman

Don't go after the lizardmen in the center of the newbie dungeon. There are usually 3-4 Ogre Lords that spawn with them that will drop a new player in 1-2 hits. I'm not sure what the purpose of the New Haven Mines are (except a good place to farm Earth Elementals). I think that they put that dungeon together really quickly and I hate to be mean to the people who are running my favorite game... but it really shows (and if you didn't make it quickly... wow).

If you're looking to train a Melee character though, I strongly suggest the Skeletons in the Yew Crypts. They are AWESOME to go from 55-75, and after that you just head over to the Felucca Despise and hunt normally. I've only seen a few other people there and they all left me alone (killed once there on Siege, but he ended up helping me out afterwards). You should be good there until around 85-90 and then you just fight Trogs in the Painted Caves.

Again though, do NOT go after the lizardmen in the New Haven Mine. They won't hurt you at all, but the Ogre Lords will make you curse the heavens.

12. Ray_Martin

Ray_Martin Journeyman

There are skeletons in mass right next to Haven. Why venture to Yew Crypts? Kill Undead next to Haven and then Earth Eles. Some guildies can give you a good suit once you're in 80s and start venturing out. The Ogre Lords/Earth Eles are separated by a different level mechanic type rope. It's on the East side of the dungeon. You just double click the coiled rope and it takes you there. I agree with Endal... It's crazy in that small place with 4 Ogre Lords.

Not being able to cross the tracks is bad too.

13. Endal

Endal Journeyman

Very true about the Skeletons in New Haven, I just prefer the Yew Crypt area for hunting because you don't have to move. Just stand in the door-jam in the center and they come to you ;) They have a good quick spawn-rate, too.

Also, I've heard that the New Haven monsters are weaker than the ones in the rest of the world. The Skeletons will only take you to around 65 while the ones in the Crypts will take you to 75, etc...