1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[Treasure Hunting] Who can access a chest?

Discussion in 'UO Fishing and Treasure Hunting' started by Yadd of Legends, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Yadd of Legends

Yadd of Legends Certifiable
    Campaign Supporter

I always thought only the person who dug up the chest could access it, but I was soloing an L6 chest in fel tonight and a couple guys came along and also started looting it. Nothing left worth fighting over, so I let them have it. But what are the rules on who can access a chest? Anybody once it's dug up? Does fel have different rules than trammel? Thanks

2. DreadLord Lestat

DreadLord Lestat Social Media Liaison
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Social Media Liaison Stratics Legend PITMUCK

Originally it was just the one who dug it up, then they changed it to party members. I had not heard anything about non-party members being able to loot it. Very interesting, might be Fel.

3. Yadd of Legends

Campaign Supporter

I had never encountered it before, coming back to a chest after teleporting home and back and seeing somebody else looting it. It was kind of funny, actually, because one of the guys ran over and tried to hand me some of the stuff he had taken and seemed quite happy when I told them to keep it and whatever else they wanted. But if indeed somebody else being able to loot a chest I dug up is possible, it's going to change the way I loot - in fel, at least, if that's the case.
    EDIT: I think when I get a chance, maybe tomorrow, I'll just test out some chests with the second account and see.

DreadLord Lestat likes this.
  4. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

The key to your confusion is in the location. Your chest is perfectly safe in Tram, but in Fel it can be accessed by anyone who comes across it. This isn't new, it has always been thus.

Parnoc likes this.
  5. Yadd of Legends

Campaign Supporter

Thanks for confirming

6. Parnoc

Parnoc Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Good to know, I have been treasure hunting for a long time and didn't know that.

7. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Given the odds against anyone finding a lonely chest somewhere in the wilds of felucca, it's not something that comes up very often :D

8. A-tron

A-tron Adventurer

Little off topic but I decoded two maps for level 7's that are within 2 screens of fel yew gate. Needless to say, more trouble than it's worth. How long do maps take to reset so to speak?

9. Yadd of Legends

Campaign Supporter

It was the first time for me - but it was in Buccaneer's Den

10. Yadd of Legends

Campaign Supporter

Lol, I'd think those would more trouble than they're worth too - unless you like digging up chests for everybody else to play the grubbers with.
    The reset was 30 days last time I heard - but who knows what changes have been made without anybody knowing it - I leave mine alone for 30 days for a reset

11. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Though, if one could actually successfully dig them, imagine the hilarity that would ensue with all those pvp-optimized characters trying to deal with PvM....

It would be a fun spectator sport, at least....

Yadd of Legends likes this.