1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Who hath stolen the NEW books?

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by AEowynSP, Mar 15, 2009.

1. AEowynSP

AEowynSP Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

They are now missing from our town banks.

2. Lorddog

Lorddog Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

ask sweeny or red it is up their ally!

3. HaHa

HaHa Guest

I think it was Buster Hymen and Jack Mehaff that took the books. Ask around Luna to speak with them.

4. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I know there was a lot of crying from sweeny about them being there. How it was favoritism to have them there. He wanted thief books there too. There was multiple times at events that he mentioned it to EMs etc. So perhaps his immaturity, and lack of wanting people to know about new, and actually get somewhat ahead on siege, and stay here succeeded. Guess its just less pockets for him to pick.

5. RedDaTeef

RedDaTeef Guest

Hey, I was all for the books. I loved the books. I even put down semi decent loot near the books in hope the guys find it.

Musta been Sweeney, he's the easy scapegoat.:lick:

6. Hoffs

Hoffs Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

I just can't believe they have done this. The devs are doing everything in their power to break Siege it would seem. Since they were put down, there has been a big increase in NEW membership. Now they are removed. Great, thanks a lot whoever is responsible.

7. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

OK,

Let's work on getting them back.

Besides Sweeney, is there anyone else on this shard who does not want them to be there?

8. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I was actually going to suggest to Quantum to make them gateable, so that one could cast a gate to NEW guildhouse from them...

So much for that it seems...

9. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

10. Troop

Troop Sage
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

Every time something good happens, it gets all messed up. :sad4:

11. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

In addition to posting about this on UHall, perhaps those that support the book placements could send in negative feedback on this action via the Contact Us link on the uoherald.com page.

12. Touzoko

Touzoko Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

This one hopes they are replaced. Perhaps it was oversight or accident.

13. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Maybe they was not stolen... Maybe there was just a problem and they got deleted bye accident... Kinda messed up for you all to start pointing fingers with no facts...

14. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Well,

I dont see them being deleted by accident. Not all of them anyway. And they were gone to my knollege prior to the server maintanence. So it is my opinion that they were removed completely. Or that they had thier locked down status removed, and decayed. Most on this shard are all for these books. There was only one I know of that was openly against them being there. Now without facts, I did point a finger in a direction of a possible reason why they were gone. Open comments to EMs and such about the existance of these books, and openly against thier placement.

15. enigma eb2

enigma eb2 Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Just my 2 cents but the last patch removed the snow overlay. The key word is OVERLAY. I wonder what else might possibly be considered overlay on a UO tile?? Maybe a locked down book might fit that discription???? Maybe it was an accident while removing the snow..... never known EA to take something so simple and make it all goofy balls but I am guessing it is possible.

16. Hoffs

Stratics Veteran Gilfane

These books did not accidentally disappear. They were removed either by the new EM, a GM or a Dev.

17. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Really?

18. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I dont see a secured book being an overlay. As it was a highlightable item. A dragable item. And a useable item. You just got an error when trying to take it. And I also dont see the patch or update removing anything GM/EM created. As there are many GM created, or EM created items throughout the shards. Im sure they make sure those dont have to be replaced every patch.

19. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

It's amazing how things get exaggerated over time and nobody bothers to check the facts.

http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=125718

I was against the place the books were locked down at. I still am. People assume newbies run through banks instead of standing in them. Newbies are naturally curious about any item they might be able to use, checking chests and such. They would see the book on a table. It is also common knowledge that any newbie someone meets is almost always pointed to the NEW website; that type of player interaction is one of the reasons people stay and end up liking the place, not because they read a book in an empty bank.

As for the "crying about it", read the link and you will see that my argument was fairly logical, in fact it was other people who decided to throw insults at my suggestion.

And to the person who said "at multiple events I asked the EM to remove them," I mentioned it only once and at that time wanted them on a table. You must be confused with my asking for the Valentine's event books to be removed, seeing as how half had decayed and there is nothing too memorable about half of a riddle.

Somehow I am being blamed for the shard's demise? I must have great powers. Somehow the books are the only reason Siege has many new players? What about the "Come to Siege" thread on UHall; are you saying that brought noone? The "Intro to Siege Event" must not have brought anyone either.

Please check your facts before posting things as to my motives. Spreading wild rumors and accusations that can easily be refuted by looking at an old thread shows a lack of thought about the matter.

And seeing as how nobody bothers to read old threads, EM Quantum has a website where such issues could be brought up. I'll leave that up to you to find.

20. Sunchicken

Sunchicken Guest

The books were ugly and stuck out like a sore thumb. Maybe they should put them in new haven isnt that were new players start out now anyways?

At least make them presentable not that tacky ugly purple book.

21. RedDaTeef

RedDaTeef Guest

SIEGE HAS NO NEW HAVEN

22. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

*chuckles* Tis true...

23. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

First off, as stated above siege has no haven. And players i believe start at a random inn. I know I stated at the east brit inn.

And Sweeny, although some of your reasons are logical, some are so far out to lunch. Perhaps a truely new player might look in chests, and crates. No one who has played this game any length of time would. Because they did that on day one, and no longer do it. So coming from say Pac, or atlantic to siege, isnt gonna make them revert to day one train of thoughts. Although I agree that on the floor in the center of the bank was cluttery. The reason it was there, makes sense to me. It was easy to spot as soon as you got to any bank. Now Im all for having it moved to a table. As long as is still easy to see and not blend in with other static decor. So perhaps we could get a custom color for them. Something that stands out. That could be adressed very easy. Perhaps a blaze dye simulation. Then being off the floor would be good.

And as far as the event comments. I seem to recall you bringing it up at the valentines day event. But perhaps I was mistaken, and it was the valentines day books. There was a lot of activity. But at the fake "cat" event, you were very open about thier removal.

And not to say you have this excessive power to make things happen. But EA/Mythic are on a damn knee jerk reaction thing right now. A few people (of the how many that play UO) complained about EM rewards for events, and poof they are all gone. So Im sure an email, or enough comments to an EM, and it would be noted by devs, and dealt with without proper information, investigation, or review.

24. Bruin

Bruin Guest

My intuition tells me the previous EM was not supposed to lock down those NEW books, so the devs are just correcting the EMs mistake.

IMHO those NEW books were a godsend. They really have helped NEWs population grow tremendously. I measure the activity/success of NEW by counting how many players have been active over the last 48 hours and recently this number has exceeded 40, whereas the previous high set over a year ago was just over 30.

I sincerely hope the devs see the NEW books as a positive thing for Siege and put them back, instead of what I see as falling back to their guidelines of not singling out and supporting a specific guild.

25. Hoffs

Stratics Veteran Gilfane

The previous EM had authorization for things like that.

26. I am not your biggest fan.