1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Who Runs Stratics These Days?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Edina Monsoon, Sep 11, 2008.

1. I am wondering why, as I am sitting here scratching myself, why was the last time that Stratics for UO was updated, seems to be, uh, 2004?!

Isn't this the official, unofficial UO information site? Why does the holiday items page end at 2004?

Why has the rares page not been updated since 1997? What's up with that?

I would think that if I needed to look something up, and find out about it quickly that I would go to stratics. But seems like there may be competition now, and I think that's healthy.

Where do I put in a request, as well as send, my lists of holiday items and so forth that you are missing from your site?

Would like to get this going, I can't spend 30 minutes looking up crooked arrow shafts to see if they are a semi rare or daily rare. Come on let's really get this stratics things together, so all those new people that will be playing when SA comes out will be able to find the information they need, and me too!

"Why not have a stupidity tax? Just tax the stupid people!"

2. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Believe it or not you do... Want to help update something? We are all ears.

3. Gerbils and dancing broccoli.

:eyes::twak::danceb:

4. I'm working on the new plants (as if half the players aren't) and would gladly share my information as soon as I get it together.

I have set up separate labeled containers for each creature that drops plants, and have books to record what plants come off of them.

Hopefully it will only take a couple of weeks to a month to compile the info. :D

The hardest seeds to get are going to be the Serpentine Dragon. There is only one in Serpentine Pass, and it's a para right now on Pac. :sad4:

5. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Please do!

6. Ok I don't have the graphics, someone else will have to do that, I am not that savvy with computers.

Here Goes:

2005 Holiday (Christmas Items):

16 snow globes - Luna, Umbra, Zento, Heartwood, and dungeons: Destard, Citadel, Doom, Shame, Paroxymus, Khaldun, Blighted Grove, Prism of Light, Hythloth, Wrong, Covetous, Deceit (sorry not in alphabetical order)
    Deed for a Sleigh
    Deed for a Reindeer - need names
    Deed for a Holiday Tree
    Soul Stone Fragment

Sept 2006 Eighth Anniversary Items:

Helm of Spirituality
    Gauntlets of Valor
    Depre's Shield
    Fountain of Life
    Dawn's Music Box
    Assian Grimmoire
    Talisman of the Fey - 3 types?
    Quiver of Infinity

If this gets posted, I will continue to contribute. There is a lot on the Rares Collector forums too.

Thanks in advance!

7. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Once upon a time Stratics was a fan site with folks sharing info and caring about helping each other.

I would hate to define what we have now... I will say the fan input gets drowned out. You folks know this game inside and out. This forum is for and about you folks.

Trust me. If you want to define Stratics with an essay, add an article, or volunteer in any way... It would be most welcomed.

Or you can just sit there and gripe. *smiles*

8. Sarphus

Sarphus Guest

Kelmo

The character creation guide is dated and inaccurate. It would be good for it to be updated to reflect current era UO. For starters it talks about making stuff that would classify as garbage these days and selling it to players. I feel sorry for a new player that reads that guide and tries to sell garbage items to other players.

Also, the guide talks about distributing your 100 skill points. I think it's likely that new players will be using the KR client when they make their first characters. You get bonus skill points when you create a new char in the KR client.

Also, a char creation guide should talk about new haven.

I didn't really look the guide over too carefully. I didn't have to look hard to know that it needs to be completely rewritten (and shorter if possible)

9. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

One of the things I had to deal with in updating a number of the crafting FAQs was that several of them still had (or linked to) data concerning Power Hour and real & stat-adjusted skills.

It's been a challenge redoing the lot of them, though real life & in-game events sidetracked me before I could get to work on Carpenter & Tinker FAQs (and those are probably the ones needing the most work). Barring another immediate invasion of some city, I might get working on those this month.

And, hopefully, I'll actually get someone to help convert my guides and FAQ revisions into the new Stratics pages for those skills.

10. pavel.vesely

pavel.vesely Guest

Even official in game help still mentions powerhour. :lick:

11. Ailish

Ailish Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Ahh, I sooooooo remember stat-adjusted skills! That is where the concept of blessing yourself if you are failing at something (say taming an animal) came from ... and I still see people doing it today, even tho it doesnt work anymore!

12. Vyrquenox

Vyrquenox Guest

13. Farsight

Farsight Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

My favorite out of date part of UO's stratics is the partners and sub-sites section.

As an example of out of date, there is a section about the Conservatory of Bardic Arts. In that section, there is a list of contact people per shard. And in that contact information, it lists ME as the contact for Napa.

I haven't played Napa (connection issues, I live in Europe now) since 2001. And the character mentioned isn't on Napa any more either.

Anyway, if I were to prioritize changes that need to be made, I would first cut out the sections that are no longer needed like the partners and subsites, or maybe even the tavern review (which is a shame, really. Some of the now long since gone places which I reviewed in 98-99 are still up, I was rather proud of the review section when I worked on it). That sort of thing is better handled by a frequently updated forum.

Only when the unneeded things are trimmed would I work on adding new material or updating older material.

But that's only if it were my page.

14. Sir Kenga

Sir Kenga Guest

15. Sarphus

Sarphus Guest

LOL

actually, at one point I sent in updated info for a bunch of monsters that didn't have any info on stratics. The updates weren't made, so I was like "screw it" and I went to that site and entered most of the monster data. I was annoyed that I didn't have a place to go to get updated monster info, so I contributed to one that I could keep updated.

16. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

You were, "sitting there scratching yourself" huh?

17. Emil Ispep

Emil Ispep Sage
    Stratics Veteran

EA's back pocket..

Now cmon.. some of these rules seem a little silly to be thought up by the Stratics staff. ;)

Or maybe i just give them too much credit...

18. Nexus

Nexus Site Support
    Administrator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron

To be honest Stratics Format is rather counter productive to this. They'd be better off going to a Wiki format where updates would require validation by and administrator or someone else before they were visible. This would allow users to update pages much more easily and make minor spot changes based on partially inaccurate information resulting from changes in the game in a rapid factor, without an entire essay needing to be submitted.

19. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

*sighs* Yeah, that would be way cool.

20. Devil_Woman

Devil_Woman Guest

You should send that as a suggestion to zigzag.

21. Why haven't the players who allegedly care about UO done something? It's a volunteer setup on those pages. Oh wait, someone else should do it.

I'm collecting death robes as I try out collecting Hunters Guide data. How are you doing?

22. That's where I was going next, yes...

23. I just submitted previously on this post some info that is missing from the stratics site as mentioned by another moderator.

But you don't say, who to email it to, how it gets updated, if you want us the players to do it then we need instructions. Not just posting it on a thread here and then nothing happens.

So if you want to contact me and give me a ftp login or something that I can use to edit pages, then let me know.

Otherwise, I will just keep submitting info that needs to be added to the stratics site. Or, maybe create a sticky thread where people can submit updated info to be placed on the site?

24. monnie101

monnie101 Guest

I thought the mob ran it? Harhar I kid I kid. But seriously, if you have a good guide you can always send it in. You should probably have a whole guide and not just an excerpt. But what do I know *shrugs* You can always collaborate with someone. Make a post to gather info for it too.

25. Demonous

Demonous Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

id love to volunteer to update old information

26. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Edina, it's OSSIAN Grimoire....

you must have a low opinion of necromancers to make that slip.... :)

27. hawkeye_pike

hawkeye_pike Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I'm quite sure that Stratics sometimes is updated, but obviously by too few people. At least 50% (probably much more) of the content is extremely outdated. I'd rather see outdated content removed, as it gives wrong information to the players. That's why I mostly browse UOGuide for information, instead of Stratics.

That brings me to my actual point: How do you allow players to update the pages? UOGuide uses the Wiki system, where I just create an account and can create or edit pages. I've already contributed a lot of content this way.

How can this be done with Stratics? Sending e-mails obviously doesn't work. I already sent information a few weeks ago, which just vanished and didn't make it on Stratics, I not even received an answer. Meanwhile, not even the Catskills News is updated anymore. To me, it just doesn't make sense wasting my time gathering and submitting information which then lands in the recycle bin.

Make suggestions how people can comfortably sumit information! I bet you'll receive a lot of updates soon.

28. drfunk

drfunk Guest

If you just spend 2 minutes you could have found this link http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=41194 and saved all the drama... sheesh.. why not just update the thread i linked or contact the moderator of the appropriate thread.. UO Rares Collector ! An entire forum just for this topic yet your here on UHALL nag hag 'n away .. you must be lost