1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

(Question) Why are you here on Siege and why do you stay.

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by startle, Dec 12, 2013.

1. startle

startle Siege... Where the fun begins.
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Gilfane

This will hopefully (with your help) become a thread that lists the reasons you play Siege and what you like about it..... There have been some recent posts about what you like here, so feel free to copy/paste if you don't want to write it again.

So, it would be appreciated if you would take the time to post about why you're here.... (If you hate it here, then please save those comments for your own thread, or better yet just leave... don't waste our time with your negativity in this thread....)

#1 startle, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  2. Kattasrophe

Nothing But Trouble

I like siege because it is like a close knit community. There is a good side and a bad side. A perfect balance of it. No place would be right with out a little good and a little bad.

Blaeke, Hattori Hanzo and startle like this.
  3. T R U

T R U Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

I Like Siege because I started the game here with my brother. As an Evil Character. A real life friend was playing and made us start here. The hero/evil system is why I'm still here. I can't believe I am in Hero! The original system we were blue in town and red outside! Loved it. If you could make it to guards you would go blue and only the guy fighting you could continue to fight. Heck survived many a gank that way.

#3 T R U, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    Blaeke and startle like this.
  4. RueTor

RueTor Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Why Siege?
    • It reminds me more of the original days of UO (a little more risk)
    • Single Character Concept (like Cheers; "Where Everybody Knows Your Name")
    • No transfers in or out (what happens in Siege, stays in Siege)
    • Better economy (probably related to no transfers above)
    • A calmer general chat with a lot less spamming (still has drama, but I consider that entertainment and it gives me something to read while playing)
    • Better ability to place and/or move your house plot (I've had a castle and keeps here, but more of a waste of space)
    • Compared to a production shard, most of the players here are much more active in the good of the shard (probably ties into the single character concept, unless you like buying name change tokens or like playing the bad guy)
    • I actually like the ROT concept (predictable skill gain... proper use of SOTs/SOAs makes it a lot less grind than a production shard)
    • It also always brings a smile to my face when I hear someone ask over chat why the tailor doesn't sell cloth to make band-aids, as well as, what do mean the vendors don't buy anything! (Don't ask... I just find it funny)
    ;)

startle, Blaeke and Hattori Hanzo like this.
  5. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Alumni TnT/TnA

The people.

startle likes this.
  6. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

*smiles*... yeah.

7. Aran

Aran INFRACTION INFRACTION INFRACTION!
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend -A-

Because I just love the people and my best friend kelmo plays there!

8. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

Only place I feel home. I moved to Siege when it was up first time.
    I was tired of people recalling away, when I asked for a little gold or their life.
    I was tired of see what stat loss for reds did to the game, it made alot of hate between red and blue.
    I wanted to keep the spirit from early UO, where the community was strong and people would join up to be safe when out hunting.
    Later my old shards Atlantic and Drachenfells got Trammel and I gave up playing there, I could not stand Trammel and Felucce turned in to an arana, where people would live in Trammel and jump on their PvP char, when they had the numbers and go to Fel. The old community in Felucca was gone and there was only one shard left for me.

Siege took alot dirt naps, when we got the game balanced after item insurance and alot trammel code did slip over to our shard. Many of the former dev teams did not understand this little step child called Siege Perilous and did not know what would help us. Mesanna at least understand us and had been a great help. Sadly we may need a little more help.

startle likes this.
  9. Muffin-Siege

Muffin-Siege Visitor

I'm new to Siege (But not to UO, I started in Europa pre Trammel), so these are initial impressions....
    • The People!
    • Closer to the pre Trammel days
    • Element of risk (partly from no insurance)
    • No need to risk much - cheap suits 'work'
    • MUCH closer community that seems to work together (I'm new, so first impression)
    • NEW2 - They provide very value aid to the Siege newbie in the first few days
    • No (historical) Duping (?)
    • No gold for $ (?)
    • (I presume the preceding 2 because it seems a healthier shard)
    • No Spam - I still cant believe this
    • More Space - As long as you don't want a Castle!
    In terms of what made me stay this time, it has to be NEW2. This is my fourth attempt to start on Siege over the years and the other 3 ended within days.
    Other newbies here may be different, but that little bit of 'organised' help and assistance made all the difference. Maybe because a request for help in chat on Europa frequently results in a less than helpful response, so one gets out of the habit of asking.
    Muffin :pancakes:

Kattasrophe, startle and FrejaSP like this.
  10. Barry Gibb

Barry Gibb Of Saintly Patience
    Stratics Veteran

Aspects of Siege which I enjoy:
    • It is a nice escape from LS.
    • The single character rule.
    • Active demand for crafted/gathered items.
    • ROT
    • Increased challenge of no item insurance.
    • The community.
    • The dynamic flavor of all Felucca rules.
    Stayin Alive,

BG

#10 Barry Gibb, Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  11. Spiffykeen

Spiffykeen Seasoned Veteran
    Governor Stratics Veteran Safe Haven

I was always scared of siege, when I would log onto talia and get gifts every year, I would freak out if I wasn't hidden..... inside the inn.... with a pack full of blessed gifts and nothing else..... I always kinda wanted to play another shard, but I couldn't have a house there because ATL was my main shard. So when I started playing more, back in april, and then second housing opened up on siege, I was finally game for it. I remembered all my pre-renn safety measures, I knew about NEW2 from seeing freja's posts on Uhall, so I logged on, asked for new2 in genchat, met Tina Tink and was on my way!

I loved training up a newbie character, making the gold the hard way and roughin it for awhile. That gave me the time to meet and get to know everyone here and I found that people are generous and helpful. They're intelligent, and adaptable. The way you behave on this shard truly affects your gameplay...

When I go back to ATL, I feel like I'm in Hollywood... Everything is over-priced and loud and garish and it seems insincere.... Siege is just different...

Also I love the money I save from a lack of insurance!

Kattasrophe, startle and FrejaSP like this.
  12. FrejaSP

Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

Now Talia is one of my NEW2 leaders and ready to help other new Siege players do their firdt step here :)

13. startle

Very excellent posts so far, thanks much... Now, let's hear from some more of you. Why do YOU play Siege? Don't be shy....

14. Barry Gibb

Barry Gibb Of Saintly Patience
    Stratics Veteran

Forgot to include:
    • Can place a house w/o giving p my house on LS.
    Stayin Alive,

BG

startle likes this.
  15. startle

Yea, that is huge.... :)

16. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

I play here because this is the shard I can make a difference on. I matter here, for good or bad. I have a foot print here. We are few. That is OK. Knowing each other is a good thing.

Everyone knows the heroes and villains...

17. Idico

Idico Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

I returned for the people, the housing, and the fun....I played every game out there, and back to UO for good...I missed it. I can tell you, Kat, Jack Parium, Sal, Bo, Death, etc welcomed me back with opened arms and helped me get back on my feet...only in UO

startle and kelmo like this.
  18. MANSBETH

MANSBETH Seasoned Veteran

It reminds me of UO from the beginning.
    The UO I fell in love with.
    No Trammel....

There are some very wonderful people on the shard for sure!

startle likes this.
  19. Tyrath

Tyrath Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Fits my play style of being a hermit in my mostly remote houses in the middle of nowhere. I have a few good friends here several folks I know and like so there is the social aspect of it. The PvPs are pretty much 24/7 GC chat amusment. People actually buy the crap I craft that even a noob on prodo wouldn't wear because 100lrc maybe a bit of MR and 70s means something here. No siege shock for me as I do nothing different here than I do on prodo. I make more gold here than I do on prodo its a boring but easy system that s perfect for siege. My oldest toons here Pump and Rumpled needed the dust knocked off of them since I had not played siege in forever. ROT gains I despise prodo skill grinding. I have 22 fully developed toons here now and actually enjoy raising skills (And making gold while training) always more fun to earn while the toon learns than to house hide and spend. That eing said I take vacations from siege and still spend 1/4th of my time on legends and find myself gate traveling every place when I should be recalling LOL. But overall from my perspetive there is little difference between siege and prodo for me s I guess it comes down to a better community and economy that values val hammer forged weapons.

20. Sprago

Sprago Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend IPKU

I play siege because of
    no insurance
    no tram
    only the one blessed item
    the people are awesome
    i came to siege as a full time player when insurance was introduced to the prodo shards and now its the only shard i play, when i came to siege i came with my 2 brothers and my aunt (TK, Fusion, and Babydoll) now its the only shard any of us play. over the years i have made many of friends.

startle likes this.
  21. Lai Tash

Lai Tash Adventurer

Well, i've always been a multi-character hater, in fact that's the main reason. One character rule, yeah. That's number one. Number two is no recalls. GT is ok for there's a certain reqs in magery. The world seems a lot bigger this way. Number three is no Trammel. Well that's pretty obvious. Heeeey i was actually PKed once. Well, someone would consider this a bad thing, but i kinda like being able to die unexpectedly. Not for real, of course. On Europa, Felucca is totally dead. Deader then Felucca here, and as a loyal feluccian i don't count this shard underpopulated for that matter. Number five (probably number 3, but i'm too lazy to edit anything) - ROT. No grinding after 70. You just do your business. Awesome. And finally, that fish broker in New Magincia. You probably seen em, the guy with a fishing pole. I've even equipped my vendor with a fishing pole as well, because it looks nice. Well it's not all about the pole, it's about that someone actually perceived the fish can be a tradable commodity as well. Crap, if such folks were on Europa, i'd waste millions on 'em. Well, he should actually adjust the prices i think - like, shore fish should be more expensive then the deepwater kind, because we fishermen like MiBs and we don't get MiBs fishing off the shore, so we have holds full of deepwater fish already and we fish for shore kind only when some fish monger thinks it's funny to force us to do so. So we like "AAAAARGH" when we see shore fish in a crate requirements, "ARRR IF JUST SOMEONE WOLD BE SELLING THIS, I'D PAY 50k FOR THESE TEN WALLEYES NOW". Finally, crabs and lobster should cost even more both for buying and selling, because catching them is annoying, expencive, useless for anything except catching crabs, and absolutely not relaxing. I need to be completely out of cash AND need to empty my hold quickly to sell my dear crustaceans for 400gp, and i would never part with them for any less. So, if you happen to know the owner, tell him there's a noob giving advices.

FrejaSP and startle like this.
  22. Wolfman

Wolfman Seasoned Veteran
    Governor Stratics Veteran Gilfane

Played Drachenfels...maxed out....got bored...
    Played Sakura/Oceania....maxed out got bored...
    Played Atlantic....almost maxed out but got bored.....
    Started playing Siege....and had my game back.....risking everything the moment you step outside the guardzone....carrying stuff that is worth something makes a difference since you do and maybe your opponent does not have the courage to do so.....getting ganked with your best suit on and biting into the keyboard for your stupidness....starting over again to gather your stuff.....

The great circle of "give and take" makes Siege for me the only shard left to play!

kelmo, startle and MANSBETH like this.
  23. startle

Since I began this thread, I suppose I need to say why I'm here and why I'm staying.
    Began playing Pacific back in '98, with rl friends, and early on learned to hate the constant ganking of my lumberjack... Was very happy to see Trammel (stay in Fel and kill yourselves, you pk people)...
    By 2001 rl friends had moved on to Everquest, which I tried but it just didn't do it for me like UO does, so I stayed.
    Played Pacific up until early this past summer when I read a couple of posts on UHall by FrejaSP, which perked my interest. This was about the time that they began allowing us to keep our prodo shard homes and have a home on Siege.
    So, after a couple of conversations with Freja, I decided to create a char here and see what's up... Of course I knew before coming all about the Fel ruleset (remembering all those times being ganked as a LJ), but was intrigued by a group (NEW2) that not only promoted Siege, but also gave people new to the shard a bit of a head start with equipment, temporary homes, runebooks, teleporters, etc... but most of all advice about who's who here - what things to avoid and how to stay alive better. NEW2 introduced me to many old and new players, and made me feel very much "at home"...
    Yes, of course I got pk'd for the first time in almost 14 years (yes I was a proud trammy) - but it certainly wasn't like it was unexpected, so I tried to not take it too personally... Didn't take too long for me to find my current guild, GIL - whose members really made me feel at home and whose "outlook" on the game pretty much matched mine. I don't much care for the life of a pk - so it was a good match. Since that time I've created 5 chars here, that cover a great range of skills - including one that is in training to do a bit of PvP from time to time. (I confess to having one of the best showing me the "ropes", and that's Morgan).

So, here I am - and here I'll stay until they finally flip the switch... I've found a new home with a lot of really good people to surround myself with... Amazing that I would find peace on a shard that features the Fel ruleset, but life does have some strange turns from time to time... The only problem I have now is finding buyers for my castle/keep/etc. on Pacific (see no reason to keep much of a presence there any longer).... Btw, my primary char here is Frost...

I fully expect to hear from more GIL members here, and from other guilds... Don't make me call your names out - get in here and give us your reasons for staying. These posts will be used in a concerted effort to bring new players to our great shard... Make them as short or as long as you wish, but make them... Please.

#23 startle, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
    Spiffykeen, Muffin-Siege and Wolfman like this.
  24. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

*smiles* Thank you for that startle. That story or something similar is the reason may of us are here.

25. FrejaSP

I have posted my story before so some will know it already. It's a little different than most stories, as I never hated the PKs, even when I'm female was 43 years when my son came home with the game dec 1997 and wanted me to play so he could get access to the Internet and play too.

To me, UO was a amazing new world. The reds fascinated me, as they was a challenge, I could not control. I could not just leave them alone as I could with harder monsters. Also they was real players so it was not that hard to tame them so they became friends instead of enemies, even when I sometimes had to die a few times first.

I started on Atlantic and I loved the shard until devs did listen to much to the ones, who could not handle the risk. First they added stat loss for reds, and it was not like the faction stat loss, they had to work up the skills again and that made a lot of my red friends give up, special the ones, who liked to go alone and give their victims a fair fight. A few deaths and they was a red newbie with no way to rebuild the char. The less honorable survived with running in ganks to be safe in numbers and when not enough was on for a gank, they was training their next char to replace the red one if he died.

I hated what the game become, and did miss my red friends. I decided to go red, but as a roleplayer. I did not kill a lot and many of the ones I did kill, respected me for my RP and did not count me, so I successed keeping the short term counts below 5 so I did not risk stat loss.

Then Siege was born and I know, that was my new home. I moved but did still play Atlantic too. Atlantic died for me, when it got Trammel and later Item Insurance. I have placed 2 small houses there, one in trammel and one in fel, to try once more, but not even the houses help me play there, it will never be the same kind of community we have on Siege and had on Atlantic before the split. The split was a wrong way to solve the PK problem. Some hunting / gathering spot, where PvP only was allowed in the guild war and factions system had been better and where the loot and fame only was 50% of the drop at places with open PvP would have solved the problem. The reds should had been allowed at this places too and been attackable like in Siege towns.

I do miss, when people still used overland for hunting, gathering and PvP as I love the forest much better than dungeons. I miss when you could not use the road, as PK's was hanging out there. I miss where you could not do mining or lumbering for hours or even days without seeing a red, now only the Black Wisps do challenge you in the forest and the mining caves.

If anyone want to read about Freja's life on Atlantic and Siege, logon to Siege, go to New Magincia and find Young Travelers Inn. There is 2 books on 3th floor in NE corner.

#25 FrejaSP, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
    startle and Muffin-Siege like this.
  26. York_Siege

York_Siege Seasoned Veteran

The booze.

startle likes this.
  27. startle

Yea, the moonshine does flow here doesn't it.... :cool:

28. Colgarra

Colgarra Journeyman

I'm here 'cause my grandfather made me check it out (he had ulterior motives too).... Now that I'm here, I like it quite a bit...

29. Barania

Barania Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I started playing UO a while back. I remember reading a story about the lands in a USA Today article when you could still sell stuff on EBay. I decided to play and moved to Chessie where I played a couple years or so...there weren't any house spots available so I decided to visit the place called Siege Perilous. As I type I recall that I had probably never visited the Fel part of that other land.

I play here because it's fun. Crafting has a worth, large risk element, and it's different and outside the box. Met some great folks over the years.

Jack Nickelson

startle likes this.