1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Why do I slow down when I strafe?

Discussion in 'Project Gorgon: Ask the Devs' started by eggsalicious, Sep 27, 2014.

1. eggsalicious

eggsalicious Adventurer

...but still lose power?

Any reason for the speed loss?

~L

2. Pcuvush

Pcuvush Visitor

Probably for the same reason why you slow down when moving backwards - to prevent kiting?

3. eggsalicious

eggsalicious Adventurer

1. Ranged classes can still kite easily
    2. Kiting is not the only reason for strafing?

#3 eggsalicious, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  4. Dodger

Dodger Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

The drugs are kicking in

5. Citan

Citan Project: Gorgon Developer
    VIP

The main reason is because it's implemented as vectors. Moving forward gives you a forward push, and moving sideways gives you a sideways push. Which means that the fastest way to move would naturally be by moving diagonally. This is what happened in AC1, where people literally run diagonally across the countryside. It looks ridiculous!

So originally sprinting was a special move that can only be done going forward in Gorgon. After lots of people asked for it, I added simple strafe-running, which is still a bit faster than walking, but the speeds don't sum to be faster than running forward. Which means running diagonally isn't a useful tactic.