1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Why do the login servers go down at 3pm each day?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Mapper, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Mapper

Mapper Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

It's always 3pm UK time the login servers give me the message 'The login servers are down' and the downtime only lasts 5 minutes.

I assume the server is rebooted at this time.. Just why? It's a rather odd time to do it!

2. Miriandel

Miriandel Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

They are not rebooted, they just hang up.

Crap servers, that is all.

I'm stuck at the login screen ATM and corpse will have decayed when they come back up, of course.

3. Capt.E

Capt.E Guest

daily maintenance. Once a week or so it lasts a little longer for server backups. I'm not exactly sure what happens during this time, but 5 minutes beforehand is also lost. Server rares spawn at this magical time and accounts also age.

4. Deb

Deb Guest

I usually get this on Sunday Mornings.

5. Mapper

Mapper Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

They hang up at 3pm each day? Sounds a little odd to me.

6. jfkeach

jfkeach Guest

Its also conceivable that your ISP is doing something too, such as rebooting DHCP Server, or DNS Server, or some path from you to the login server is being rebooted at that time each day. Not sure it is the Login Servers, but they are located here in US. Could be, but not sure.

7. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

It's done at off-peak U.S. hours, since that's where the servers are located.

8. hen

hen Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

The two European servers are located in London.

9. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

If it's a regular, planned server maintenance, and affects players, surely it should be mentioned on the UOHerald 'Maintenance Times' list? It can't be argued that is purely a 'game server downtime' list, since it already includes the Vet rewards server.

10. Potgut

Potgut Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

In the old days (when there was no pet rez, no pet bonding, and no item insurance) servers would go down for long periods every night hence "server down wars" where everyone would go to brit cemetery and kill the crap out of each other, nothing would save.

11. Snakeman

Snakeman UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Happened this Sun morning about 10am EST for me as well. Normally I only get the hang up screen every Tuesday morning between 8:15am & 8:35am. Today was out of the ordinary for me