1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

why does enhancing fail so much? :(

Discussion in 'UHall' started by aarons6, Jun 7, 2008.

1. aarons6

aarons6 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

so i found a heavy crossbow on the ground, it had 10 SSI, 30 DI and hml 25.
    not a super bow but someone used pof on it and ran it up to 200 durability.

i was going to enhance it with ash for 10 more ssi then sell it on my vendor for like 500gp.. but it failed.

i dont understand why enhancnig fails so much.

a gm bowcrafter only has what seems like 5% success on enhancing stuff.

2. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Well, lets face it. If enhancing succeeded so much, we would have way too many overpowered items. The rarity of enhancing adds that Risk vrs Reward for crafting. You have a good magical weapon, then you ponder whether or not to try enhancing it, thus risking losing the weapon or keeping it.
    So seriously, ask yourself what would happen if people succeeded a lot more often in enhancing weapons. What would happen to the weapon market and people running around with what would be "cheap priced" weapons.

3. Joyous2K

Joyous2K Guest

It's so you can prove your loyalty to the game. It should be only 0.0005 percent success. That way the game is much more fun, get it?

But, yeah as far as a storyline goes... it doesn't make any sense. Like I am a legendary tailor, right? The thing that legends are made from. A supreme tailor with no superiors. It is ridiculous that she can't sew a few leather patches onto some leather pants. SUccess should be at least 50% at 120 and 25% at 100 and everybody else can have 2% success.

But a lousy enhance success rate proves that you love UO. It also makes you love UO for the exciting variety of gameplay. What is more exciting than looking through corpses filled with junk to get 3 items of possible value every 4 hours and then enhancing them and ending up with nothing? Nothing is more exciting than that. Nothing.

4. Joyous2K

Joyous2K Guest

Seriously? OK. I would have a sense of pride at wading through 1000s of corpses and picking and enhancing the 1 out of 500 that is worth enhancing.

5. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

With the amount of item hunters in this game, there are alot more than just 1 out of 500...

6. aarons6

aarons6 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

as a gm bowcrafter, i can make all day long bows made from ash that have 10 ssi.. yet i try to ENHANCE one with 0 SSI for the 10 SSI reward and it breaks..

i understand that you say that enhancing gives you the chance to make some super crafted stuff, but come on?? 10 ssi isnt super, 20 isnt even super..

plus, if i do find that 30 ssi bow with 50 di and 50 hit lightning, I wouldnt even try to enhance it..

we only enhance the junk to make better junk.. yet it fails, almost every single time.

im sure there is some chance code in there somewhere, but its set too low..

7. Nexus

Nexus Site Support
    Administrator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron

So your saying that 6-10mil for a Kryss is a fair price? Seriously I think Uber Gear needs to be more common if UO is to continue being an item based game. I hear all the PvP guru's whine about how PvM gets everything and no one wants to come to fel...If it didn't cost a small fortune to get a decent suit built because of rarity of really good equipment then that wouldn't be as much of an issue. I'm not saying it would fix it but it wouldn't hurt any either.

UO isn't like WoW or some of the other more popular MMO's in that your restrictions on equipment are based on Gold not Skill Level, There's nothing to guide you to a point where you not only have the skill and the ability to gain the gold...in UO you need to gain the gold to get the equipment to bring you up to par with the majority of the playing field.

8. Hunter Moon

Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

The devs claimed it was so that uber items wouldn't flood the game, but I do think it is a bit excessive. I can try to enhance 20 DECENT (read NOT god items) items with gold ingots on a char with 120 smithing, 100 arms lore, wear my 28/26 Blacksmithing Talisman and use a 60 ash and not get a single item. This is NOT supposition, I have had this happen time and time again. I am all for a good amount of risk, but it seems almost like a surety as it is now.

Hunter Moon [HOT] Atlantic

9. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

No matter what I wear add or put on ..... no matter what material I'm using or what item I'm attempting to enhance..... whether I use my UBER crafter or a so so crafter If I have a bag of 50 items I will reduce them to 3 to 6 in a matter of seconds.....

I honestly believe that if what you put on and your skill and all is supposed to figure into the success rate of enhancing it's broken.....

And don't even get me started with LUCK...... long have I believed that LUCK should be a factor when enhancing.... when crafting, when getting arties, when hunting, when doing bods, when doing quests..... whatever it is your doing LUCK should be a factor......

[​IMG]
    Please click the egg/hatchling and help my dragons grow.