1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Why doesn't the client downloads ever get updated?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by cdavbar, May 17, 2013.

1. cdavbar

cdavbar Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

So, today I was downloading UO on a new computer, tired of running two clients on one. Anyways, the Classic Client alone, after downloading required a 1,117 MB patch! That is ridiculousness!

Nine Dark Moons likes this.
  2. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron PITMUCK

I had to do the same thing yesterday (finally got a new computer - old one died two weeks ago). It took forever to get all the patches!

3. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

Yes I wish they would offer some full version that you could download and store. Would make re-installing alot faster.

4. cdavbar

cdavbar Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Im afraid to do the EC, which is what I use 99% of the time lol

5. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

You don't download individual patches anymore, so I'm not sure what you are experiencing.
    You download an installer, that in turn downloads and installs the full game, latest files. That's on both clients.

6. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah

Yes, downloading the CC took very little time. However, an agonizingly long patch process began when I first opened UO, and when I was finally able to log in, the initial screen display was for Age of Shadows. [After logging out and going back in, the correct screen display was in place, of course.]

7. Kojak

Kojak Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

that's because you're not actually downloading the CC when you download that little program from uo.com - you're just getting the patcher

when you run the patcher the first time, it realizes that you don't have any of the CC files (obviously) and it goes and downloads all of them - that's why it takes so long to patch the first time - because it's actually downloading the entire classic client from scratch (which is the way things should have been done from the beginning probably) - it isn't like it used to be where you actually downloaded the whole client from uo.com

8. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah

A painful but necessary process these days. Especially if, like me, you can't salvage UO files from the old computer. *sigh*

9. Olahorand

Olahorand Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

What I usually do with CC if I need it on a new installation of Windows, is to copy the entire game folder and export/import the UO and UO Assist registry keys.

10. Mapper

Mapper Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

But then it would become out of date quickly, like what happened before we have this patcher.

11. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

I don't know about quickly. Maybe would only need updating every couple of months.

What I think would be good is to keep the separate mini patcher and also offer a the most recent version as one big download.

12. THP

THP Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

#12 THP, May 19, 2013
    Last edited: May 19, 2013