1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Why I'm embarrassed to call myself a Catskills Rp'r...

Discussion in 'UO Spiels N Rants' started by Fabulous Jac, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Fabulous Jac

Fabulous Jac Visitor

Firstly, I would like to say thank you to all the decent rp players on Catskills who have made my rp experiences over the years enjoyable. I stay because I love the game and have met some incredible people here.

That being said...I feel like someone needs to say something about a trend that is both embarrassing as well as quite frankly uncalled for in 99% of the situations it is showing up in...

Flutter recently mentioned this trend on a forum post about tavern sitting, where she noted that all conversations seem to point to one overly emphasized topic anymore: sex. I have to agree. All I hear about is stupid things about who's sleeping with whom, how to get into people's pants...and the most embarrassing things involve conversations and behaviors to this extent occurring in front of Devs and EMs.

Seriously...I'm embarrassed to say that I am part of a community that is mostly being known anymore for being based on sex. Knock it off. We aren't all sex crazed lunatics looking for the next new lay, the next sexual conquest, the next bragging session about being *****s. Those that are doing this...you're making the rest of us look bad, and we are sick of it. I know I am not the only one, I speak on behalf of many I have heard complaints from...I am just not afraid to spray you horny beasts with a hose and tell you to go take a walk!

What happened to good rp, rp about things like quests and issues and fun...and not about who's doing the nasty with whom and who stole who's man and blah blah blah! I don't want to hear about your stupid ERP love life...and there aren't many else who do either.

Can we please move on to other things, instead of other STD's?

2. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

But.... i got all ready for the meeting. even put on my kasa of the rajin...

kasa.png

CovenantX, DJAd, Widow Maker and 3 others like this.
  3. Flutter

Flutter Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

To be fair it's only a particular group doing it.

4. Norrar

Norrar Lore Master
    Governor Stratics Veteran

Shouldn't this be on the Catskills shard forum?

Speranza and kRUXCg7 like this.
  5. Beldin Brightaxe

Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

*thinks he needs to spend some time on Catskills*

Jolicia and Judas D'arc like this.
  6. Captn Norrington

Captn Norrington Trade Forum Administrator
    Moderator Professional Campaign Supporter

Its not just Catskills sadly, *cough* Atlantic *cough*

7. Flagg

Flagg Sage

Well, at least you still have RP to speak of. Very little in Europa:l Or then I look from wrong places.
    ...Does Catskills still have many actual RP guilds up and running?

8. Norrar

Norrar Lore Master

We have a few :) Good amount of people as well

Flagg likes this.
  9. Dol'Gorath

Dol'Gorath Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Well at least you have RP on Cats. Atlantic RP, if I can even find it has devolved to forum trolling. Or a few select people that only "RP" when the EM is around like the EM's little entourage. Real RP communities died years ago. I miss it.

10. Molokha

Molokha Seasoned Veteran

As a species and a society, we will not progress until we transcend the pleasures of the flesh.

whiterabbit and old gypsy like this.
  11. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Glad I RP on GL's.

12. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron PITMUCK

You never see that in our goblin guild on Chesapeake. Of course, goblins come from turnip patches, so that might explain it. :next:

13. Fabulous Jac

Fabulous Jac Visitor

And I did make sure to point out there there is still viable rp *grins*. I tried very hard not to drop any names except to reference your post, so if it causes you any backlash, tell them Jac did it and I'll make sure to take care of it. I wanted to address an issue as a whole instead of start finger pointing and griefing individuals when really, this is becoming an epidemic.

14. Vor

Vor Grand Inquisitor

This is new for your shard? It's always been a 'thing' on Europa and I'd say it's not really an issue. It fits certain characters and settings.

Sure, it's bad taste to be doing it at EM events, but in player run establishments who cares? I can leave if I don't like the topic of conversation or actions that are taking place and so can you :) some like it, some don't.

I guess with a lower population it's just more noticeable now than it was 3,6 or 10 years ago. But it's always been there.

I still see plenty of RP around that has nothing to do with this.

15. Vor

Vor Grand Inquisitor

That said, my views are from a different shard. It could be far worse and not as avoidable on your shard I suppose.

16. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Fabulous Jac

Fabulous Jac Visitor

New, it is not. Increasing though, that's the problem. And sure, at player run things, its always an option to leave. But when it gets to the point that you can't spend 5 minutes with groups outside your own guild because that's all the conversation ever turns to, that's when it disrupts the community in a greater way. It is a lot more noticeable now. And I agree, it is extremely bad taste at EM events.
    I'm not suggesting that whatever anyone chooses to do in their own houses is under scrutiny, I guess this is more just a request for some to exercise restraint and decency and dare I say common courtesy in the public domain. If your char is the sleep around, hang on everyone and make dirty jokes type, cool fine whatever...but is that all there is to your char, with no other depth at all than the list of bed mates? (global "you" being used here, not specifically asking you).

18. outcry

outcry Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

There are a lot more problems on Catskills then just this............

19. Promathia

Promathia EM Bennu Fanclub
    Premium Stratics Veteran

I hereby signup to be a part of these ERP groups. Cmon ladies, I got tons of gold.

Flutter likes this.
  20. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot

Roll Play = Acting a story line in the game.
    Key word: ACTING
    In 97 I was invited to rp on a few shards.. good story lines that gave plenty of room for adaptation and expantion... was great fun...
    Somewhere along the way I watched both genders of Rp'ers start to "use" the rp setting for more then just roll play.
    3 marrages broke up to infidelity on both sides of the isle..
    5 marrages failed do to one side being rolled up in the feelings the rping was making quite plain to all who were inthe group that something was going on that was never intended. (meaning a rl mate was cheating on the other who was purely playing and it didnt go well)
    3 Ladys of my aquaintance thou unmarried met and married other players who they were RP'ing with. (only bad note one was with a married man who is counted above as a spouce of a normal player.
    1 married lady who coveted every single male and made a fool of her self in game and was clearly not RP'ing.. bu said she was.
    Shall I go on??

Look when we allow the element of Real Life to enter game the art of RP'ing is in serious danger. Some dont know how to cut off the RL feelings and be just a actor in the game... This is one of the major factors along with the full out war of bad feelings when arguments break out over stupid stuff that in rl would never happen....

Unfortunatly the moral attitude of rping in UO has dropped so low that we as players have forgot this is not the way RPing goes.
    Say something to the offending players, remind them its not allowed in game.
    If that fails report it.
    Look Bonnie wants Counselors back in game ... this would be something I would aprove of them monitoring and reminding those who continue to misuse the game and the guise of RP'ing. Letting them know of the failure to comply with rules.

Catskills and many other shards are guilty of misuse of RP'ing by a good deal of players.

(psst.... Many of you forget your in game actions are clear as glass. I hate to tell you some stuff can be seen and heard/seen as in text through walls)

21. SlobberKnocker

SlobberKnocker Slightly Crazed

no one wants to date a jersey boy solus.

22. Promathia

Premium Stratics Veteran

Listen,

I hail from Britain, not this "jersey" you speak of. I have wealth, I have power, and damn do I look sexy in my armor. My magical aura of sexiness is +10 in every stat, and gives me +20 in my abilities.

Basically, Im fricken amazing. Oh and again did I mention all my gold?

Damn girls, you are lucky i'm here.

23. Norrar

Norrar Lore Master

Does what people do with their own time really bother people that much? It is "their" RP, not yours. How they wish their character to act is their own choice. Unless they are doing things right in front of you, just ignore them and move on. It is not that hard of a thing to do.

Have an issue? Take it up with them privately. ICQ, PM or whatever. Take your pick.

24. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot

PFFT..........(tea went flying)
    Sugar I out own you.
    Armor rusts ....
    swords get dull ....
    and men tend to go senile...

whiterabbit likes this.
  25. Merus

Merus Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran CasteoftheForgotten

And who says RP and PvP don't have any crossover. All the PvPers are concerned about is the gender of thier opponents and who is doing who's mother or sister.

26. Lady Michelle

Lady Michelle Sprite Full SP
    Stratics Veteran The DarkOutlaws, TDO

All this talk about sex I had to cover my eyes while reading this thread :hahaha:

EM_Bennu likes this.
  27. Norrar

Norrar Lore Master

Would make reading it rather hard. ;)

28. Callista

Callista Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I was at the meeting last night and my personal opinion it was just a group having fun (for the small time I was there). EM 's and Dev's are just normal people also portraying a role. *shrugs* While there is a group of people who do ERP that doesnt mean that's all their characters do. I also have limited experience in RL bars and taverns persay, but sex was one of the biggest subjects. It may pertain to the kid in us that gets a giggle out of a dirty word said and such but its not going to go away. Do I talk about sex and ERP all the time with my characters...? NO.... AS a matter of fact, Calli usually blushes at the word or thought and well as a few others of my chars. I have two chars though that are the complete opposite.... Krysta being my most bold at what shes says or does. I personally think to each his own as long as its not hurting anyone else. However, when you use ERP or any other means to hurt another char.... yes it all has went to far.

Pandora_CoD and Bianca_CoD like this.
  29. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

The will be NO SEX in the Champagne room

(OR KING BLACKTHORNS CASTLE !!!)

Pandora_CoD, EM_Bennu and Flutter like this.
  30. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

and there was me thinking "role play" was ONLY for the bedroom!

Flutter likes this.
  31. Bianca_CoD

Bianca_CoD Sage
    Stratics Veteran CoD

I do not involve myself in that type of role play. My characters naturally engage in sex and it can be part of their character set up --- a flirt, a sex kitten, a prostitute, a dominatrix even --- but that part of it is not something that I act out in game, I have no need to. If my character's role is a prostitute, sex is just assumed. It does not need to be played out.

~ Sue.

32. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

In my experience such things can be exaggerated quite wildly, quite easily. Maybe I'd agree with the poster in this particular instance and maybe I wouldn't but, either way, about the worst thing that can happen is that someone posts about it on a thread of general interest like U-Hall. It serves only to hurt the community that needs to work out whatever its own issues are and helps to paint all similar communities with the same brush.

For example right now someone is reading the original post, sympathizing with it, and saying "RPers are perverts with one note personalities." And someone else is reading it and not sympathizing and saying "RPers are petty prudes."

Neither is appropriate, both will happen. Dear God, moderators, please move this to the Catskills forum. It isn't even a generic post about sex in RP which might, might, belong on the White Stag forum.

-Galen's player

Pandora_CoD, Vor, Smoot and 1 other person like this.
  33. Kylie Kinslayer

Kylie Kinslayer Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Hmmm... looks like I should really consider coming off of hiatus just for the RP ;)

Flutter, Smoot and EM_Bennu like this.
  34. Pawain

Pawain Crazed Zealot

That's what happens when a room full of nerds finally figure out what sex is.

whiterabbit likes this.
  35. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

The mere fact that anyone can play this game, let alone post about it, and not realize that he or she is a "nerd" is as baffling as it is depressing. You are not the only one to make this critical error. Far from it.

As baffling and as depressing is that this thread has not yet been moved.

-Galen's player

36. Tamergirl

Tamergirl Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

*snickers* Perhaps they think it of no use ..who can compete with the love thy have for oneself..just sayin :p:heart:

37. Promathia

Premium Stratics Veteran

I love myself better than any girl could anyways

38. Fabulous Jac

Fabulous Jac Visitor

Wow this got derailed and shows exactly what I was pointing towards quickly...

Since I guess my point got lost in the throng of nonsense that always happens to serious topics (which was, for the record, a request for common courtesy and perhaps dare I say a bit of decency in the PUBLIC spaces ...because *repeats himself* I don't care what you do in your own home...), I'll leave my icq and if anyone feels I'm finger pointing or attacking anyone specifically...you know what to do.