1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Hello Guest! On January 27th Stratics will be brought down for an extended maintenance period. This period may take upwards of 12 hours to complete. Please check the thread in the Announcements forum for more details.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is Cassie Darksong an "inappropriate name"

Discussion in 'UHall' started by CassieDarksong, Apr 1, 2008.

1. CassieDarksong

CassieDarksong Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I have the character name Cassie Darksong across several shards, including Great Lakes, Legends and Origins. Not once have I had an issue with it.

I went to start a new on siege, created my character of "Cassie Darksong" and am told "That is an inappropriate name"

The only thing I can think of is the "ass" part of Cassie.

And all I can ask is "Why?"

Cassandra is a valid RL name. Cassie is a valid RL name. I can list many others as well. But this is seriously overboard.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

The name thing can be so finicky at times.

3. You guessed correctly.

It's stupid, especially since there is an obscenity filter in UO.

UO has a lot of things going for it. A lot of things. Or I wouldn't play it. But this kind of crap is definitely one of its detriments.

-Galen's player

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Because ignorant people name their characters like...

cASSie HOLErand

5. CassieDarksong

Stratics Veteran

My issue is more of "in the past" i was able to create the name with no difficulties on several shards (I always keep the same template of character with the same name...habit)

And now I go to create the character with the name and I'm told "No?"

I can understand an obsenity filter. I'm a mother of an 8 year old. And you can set obsenity filters to filter just the 3 letters when they are seperated by spaces, not set it to where if it appears in conjunction with letters, its obscene.

Yet names like "Ben Dover" and others that I will not even repeat, can be made with no issues....

6. Guest

Guest Guest

It would be funny if you could choose that name with a Name Change Token. Who knows if it uses the same filtering. [​IMG]

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Yeah I feel your pain. I wanted to create a trade "ASSociation" guild. [​IMG]

8. Guest

Guest Guest

How long has it been since you tried making a Cassie (besides recently)?

A while back, sometime before Origin Shard, "Terraseer" became an unacceptable name to make because of the "seer" part. I am guessing that is when your name also became unavailable.

I have 1 Terraseer per shard (more on some), per account (more on some), all except for Origin and the Asian Shards.

I did not complain because I actually saw this as a perk. No one could ever impersonate me. I did question someone about it, and was told that there shouldn't ever be any problems with my name (if someone reported me) because it was clear I wasn't trying to impersonate a "Seer" game staff.

I would guess you should be fine as well, since it is clear you're not trying to be foul. Do like I did, and find some new names to use and fall in love with.

Hence, one of the (several) reasons I stopped using my "terraseer" account here on Stratics.

*smiles*

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Try naming a horse "Rosie." You can't. Because "OSI" is in the name.

You can't use the guild title "Overseer" because "Seer" is in the name.

You can't use the guild title "Assassin" for the same reason you can't name your name Cassie.

The filter is rather unneeded.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

I have the same problem with my name - Laetitia.

Annoying isn't it? It's not like I'm using tit as an offensive word, it's just a combination of letters in my actual name =P

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Thoughts to improve the system and allow players to make legitimate names that would otherwise be caught by the filter.

Instead of having a Naming Filter, have a "Naming Flagging System."

All names that would normally have been filtered would instead be "Flagged" and brought to the attention via some sort of List to the Game Masters. The Game Masters would then need to review the list for names that are clear violations and deal with those, while "Unflagging" the ones that clearly are not in violation of foulness or impersonation.

Just some more thoughts.

12. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Many years ago, I named my Tinker "Daystrom" after a Star Trek character in a bit of sillyness (my tailor on the same account is named Andy, with the guild title "Sheriff of Mayberry").

I then tried to name each of my pack animals after a Star Trek ship, but one was "inappropriate"

Anyone else see the irony of the profanity filter treating "Constitution" as an Obscene name?

13. LordIssac

LordIssac Guest

<blockquote><hr>

I tried making a char named Miroslav Satan and it didn't work, I am guessing the Satan part was obscene? But we have Satanic monsters all over the place?

[/ QUOTE ]

Naw, its because everyone hates the Islanders [​IMG]

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Just because I thought it was a good idea (might be partial *chuckles*)...

Go Vote!

[​IMG] Name Flagging System

[​IMG]

15. Guest

Guest Guest

16. Guest

Guest Guest

It would be nice to label PRICKly pear and pampas grASS vendors correctly. [​IMG]

17. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

the profanity filter treating "Constitution" as an Obscene name?

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's funny.

The profanity filter on names is a joke. They either need a new one that behaves sanely or they need to just chunk it and trust to the ingame filter.

18. I tried to create a bow vendor once for compOSIte bows, and wasn't allowed to... geeeeeeez.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Aye it is overkill the way it is set up and has been a mess for years !!

I tried to name one of my guildmates guild title as:

Knight of Compassion

it was not permitted

It would only work, if I opted to look utterly illiterate and typed Compasion
    *rolls eyes*

So to get the virtue he stood for I either had to look like I GM of a guild, can not spell, or forget it.

{{{and yeh we can not even type the VALID given names of plant types on our vendors or also opt to look like we can not spell at all, have to misspell or use *a plain plant* ... for pampas grass and prickly pear cactus }}}
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Bobar

Bobar Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Yep it is the 'ass' in it. In my guild I am Patron of Compassion but because of this delightful quirk I have to be the Patron of Compa'ssion.

21. Guest

Guest Guest

then comes the issue of naming a character something and getting banned for it... i started a brand new account one day and named a character Honky, i am not a racist person by all means and i was planning to place a house at an idoc with him and someone paged on me, got pulled into jail and perma banned for this name while the character was young mind you... now if this was the first time you ever played uo and this happened to you, how would u feel when u do something like that and get perma banned without any kind of warning... what kind of an example is ea setting here to new players... why would they allow u to name a character something that can get you banned, thats just dumb...

two people i've seen in uo had to have their characters names changed after years and years of having them, one was a gm fisher named master baiter and the other was named uni balled horse, given you can see how these names can possibly be offensive to some, the originality, the humor and the fact that they had these characters named this for years should override the offensiveness

22. because it contains the letters ass. UO doesn't parse well. I have a character named Sassy - can't do that any more. Can't name a container Glassblowing talismans.

23. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

cASSie HOLErand

[/ QUOTE ]
    Moreso because someone can't take the time to code a better filter that any 1st year programmer could do.

24. Bordoms

Bordoms Guest

<blockquote><hr>

It would be funny if you could choose that name with a Name Change Token. Who knows if it uses the same filtering. [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't waste money. I tried it and it also filters - I wanted to name my blue elf "Sassette" to match the "Smurfette" I have. No go either way.

My peeve....seeing people with "God" as a name...bad karma! Bad!

I'd rather see a bunch of asses running around. *Chuckles* I know what some of you are thinking.

25. Guest

Guest Guest

It is really dumb. Funny that they added ninjas to the game yet no one can have a guild of "assassins" - they are double bad you know! *rolls eyes*

We aren't allowed to use non alpha chars other than spaces in our names as far as I know, so if they can't make the filter look for space padding on either side of a forbidden string to distinguish it as a stand alone actual forbidden phrase, then the filter needs to go. It doesn't really work for most things anyway as already pointed out, with the creative ways people can get their meaning across (same way spammers circumvent email filters) and we can always page if we see something we know is inappropriate. (From what I hear, that seems to be about the only thing GMs respond to these days anyway).

-Skylark

26. Chango Pelon

Chango Pelon Guest

I tried to name a PK Riddick and no way. Yet Richard Noggin is OK.

[​IMG]

27. CassieDarksong

Stratics Veteran

But this is what I'm talking about...it goes beyond just what I want my character name to be.

For roleplay guilds you either have to come up with creative names for guild tiles, or purposely spell them wrong.

I think I would be more upset if my real name was Cassandra and I couldn't name a character that.

28. Guest

Guest Guest

You also can't name your horse "Smith."

Iolo would be sad.

29. CharlieTib

CharlieTib Journeyman

Ok someone tried to do something really sweet for me by engraving a sword with the word Compassion on it. Now the word compassion has the word A** in it so what happens, when its engraved it bleeps out the word.... so the sword engraved ''comp@%%ion''. What the heck kind of idioc rule is that....I mean seriously.. you can walk into a town and have ppl curse and they dont get booted from the game but yet you cant write out a word that happens to have a curse in it????!!!
    I cant count the number of times ive confronted ppl who curse in town and they pretty much told me ''turn on your filter and leave me the f alone'' I mean theres kids in there! But yet... you cant write out the word compassion... The gms gonna change the moongate to compassion ilsh too??? i mean are they gonna edit out every word that has it in there?
    Asset
    Glass
    Pass
    Mass
    Grass
    Crass
    Bass
    Hassle
    Massive
    Passive
    Lass
    Compass

just to name a few. Who else just finds that completely .... &gt;) assenine ?? And if there is a gm out there... change that filter!!

30. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
    So you're saying that to you "God" is an ... *thinks better of finishing that thought*

31. pallas

pallas Guest

Dang, that sucks... sorry to hear this bit of news. Didn't realize the filter would kick in for this! :\

32. <blockquote><hr>

cASSie HOLErand

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, its more because idiot people think they have the right to sensor another persons actions for them....

when they've actually had the ability to censor it themselves the whole time.

33. I still have a couple characters named '****ake Samurai' from way back, i may just make them crafters for marking items. I lost one due to being paged on recently during the magincia storyline.

34. These forum boards are not smarter in terms of censor filter.
    Too bad if you want to talk about the hero of Princess Mononoke...

Censor Japanese names!

35. Turn on the word filter and cutlass gets filtered - or it used to anyway.

36. Bordoms

Bordoms Guest

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
    So you're saying that to you "God" is an ... *thinks better of finishing that thought*

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps a re-read is in order on your part. I was saying nothing about who/what I think God is.

37. the 4th man

the 4th man Lore Master

Tell me about it, but, you see names "along the lines of".....nuckin futz.....the powers taht be make you scratch your head.

38. Guest

Guest Guest

No, that's ok I got it.

edit: *snips explanation of joke ... it was a little inappropriate*

39. Guest

Guest Guest

I like your posts, Maplestone. [​IMG]

40. Guest

Guest Guest

i saw a 2 characters with what I consider invald names Grabba Thigh and Ben Dover.

41. <blockquote><hr>

i saw a 2 characters with what I consider invald names Grabba Thigh and Ben Dover.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not censored, so it's ok.
    On the other side, one should be banned for saying : "Laetitia the assassin constitutes an assortment of cumulative assets."
    Fortunately, kids only see "Lae***ia the ******in cons***utes an ***ortment of ***ulative ***ets". We're safe!

42. CharlieTib

CharlieTib Journeyman

Its just so backwards whats allowed and whats not. I mean i know its actually alot in forums because, well i am an anime fan also like Coppelia so i get alot of edited out songs that i like because of the japanese language has curses in some words like A****a (if that was actually put in the forum hehe)
    But i mean it can be changed all the gms and such need to do is reset the filter. I just dont get why it isnt reset and worked out so that people who have normal words theyd like to use are filtered but the ones with the filth dripping from their mouth has free speech. I mean the word compassion is a word associated with ultima... the original one... your filtering out a good word. Richard Garriott would be ashamed at how his idealistic Ultima became a game you arent permitted to type out compassion and glass due to... who knows why. Laziness? Uncaring? I love UO but the priorities need to be filtered once more.

43. I tried Dagmar Zwei and was told it is inappropriate....huh?

44. Poo

Poo The Grandest of the PooBah’s
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor 4H

<blockquote><hr>

My issue is more of "in the past" i was able to create the name with no difficulties on several shards (I always keep the same template of character with the same name...habit)

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean like haveing a name that you have had for 10 years, then one day haveing a GM come by and changing it on you?
    then having EA go through your account and change all your toons on every shard because that name is now thought to be bad?

strange, that sounds familiar....... like a bad dream or something.

45. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Probably because it has the letters "GM" in it..

46. Jahira-Tor

Jahira-Tor Lore Master

I had a friend from waaaay back who had three chars, one Mondain the White, one, Mondain the Black, and other other just Mondain. He had had those chars since a few weeks after UO began.

For some reason a GM was at brit back, helping somone else and came up to 'Moni' and took him to jail... (i was in party with him at the time so he told me what was going on) The GM told him that the name was innapropriate. He was offered a free name change. He refused saying that hed had these names for over 5 years at that point and i have the right to refuse. He got a 3 day ban.

In that time he fot an email saying that if he didnt change his chars names he would get a perma ban on his account. He said fine, thats ok, im happy to do this, but give me one, just one good reason why i should?

They never replied, his house went idoc, he never even got a chance to log in and change the names in the first place. Not that i think he would have.

47. Fantaapple

Fantaapple Guest

They made me change my character name it was simon says

I think they just like to mess with us.

48. <blockquote><hr>

They made me change my character name it was simon says

I think they just like to mess with us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, they just don't like American Idol. [​IMG]

49. At least you can find a reason.

can someone please tell me wtf is wrong with "Spooky Medic"

...... anyone?

50. My guess would be the first 5 letters of the first word.

It's an old derogatory term for black people.