1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Why IS?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Amathist, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Amathist

Amathist Guest

Okay peoples I have some questions...I am planing some stuff for poc guild events but I need to know the following..

Why is Britannia called Britannia? ( I believe because of lord British)

Why is Ilishenar called Ilishenar?

Why is Tokuno called Tokuno?

(I am guessing you can see where I am going with this)

Why is Ter Mur called Ter Mur?

and for good measure...

Why is Malas called Malas?

2. SchezwanBeefy

SchezwanBeefy Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I'm actually not sure there's a reason, they might have been randomly named that.
    I did a little research on UOguide, which is pretty helpful for things like this, but it didn't cover naming. I think it's all pretty random.

3. With Draconi posting the past couple of days,maybe he will come in and share some "behind the scenes" with us on your questions.

4. Amathist

Amathist Guest

That would be really awesome, I figure there has to be a reason....I just do not know if anyone knows it other then UO staff.

5. Masscre

Masscre Guest

Britannia is a fictitious land in the Ultima universe. It consists of the remains of Sosaria which were united under the rule of Lord British after the defeat of the evil wizard Mondain and his offspring Exodus.[1] It is the setting for The Age of Enlightenment Trilogy (Ultima IV through Ultima VI) as well as Ultima VII, Ultima IX and Ultima Online.

Also more to this is posted here !

6. I always thought it was because if you look at it upside down it looks a similar landmass to England. Britain - Britannia.

7. Amathist

Amathist Guest

Thanks that was heaps helpful I just found this bit which was what i was after as confirmation

8. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

It sounds like you want in-character reasons.

Ilshenar: Some figure from their past, back when it was a thriving civilization, or rather a few thriving civilizations, named Ilshen. (Note that there's an "Ilshen's Lake.")

Malas: No idea.

Tokuno: No idea, probably something in whatever the Tokunoese language is supposed to be.

Ter Mur: Translates roughly from Gargoyle to English as "Our Group." Philosophically the same as "our land" or "our country."

Britannia: As you have already found, named in honor of Lord British.

-Galen's player

9. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Ilshenar:

UO Stratics - Guide to Ilshenar - Landmarks

-Galen's player

10. Felonious Monk

Stratics Veteran

Trammel and Felucca were the moons in early ultima's I started with U3.
    I think the lore of those two moons started in U4. Moon phases controlled moongates and where in the world they took you. Early in the game while you were low on funds it was the only way to bridge oceans. Very immersive.
    To stay on topic... I don't know the origin of the lore. More will come.......

11. Amathist

Amathist Guest

Galen that helps a lot thank you...and yes I guess you could say I wanted a more in character response as in a story that can be passed on through our lands and have meaning.

Lord British and the tale of Ilshen is spot on to what I am after.

The Ter Mur translation is also useful *smiles* thank you for your effort.

Now if I could just find out what is behind the naming of Tokuno and Malas.

12. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

I don't remember if they were named then, but the two moon's phases controlling moongates dates from Ultima III, as there was a city you could only enter based on the gate timing.

13. Harlequin

Harlequin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I can help with Tokuno.

Translated, the proper name is supposed to be "island of virtue".

In Japanese, Toku means virtue.

"No" means "of".

But someone decided to leave out the "island" (or forgot).

So, Tokuno literally just says "of virtue". Sounds like an incomplete sentence when read in Japanese.

Properly spelled in full, it should be Tokunoshima. There's an actual island with this name in Japan. So they might have decided to truncate the name due to this. I say might, because we have the townne of "Britain" and "Skara Brae" just fine.

14. Harlequin

Harlequin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Ter Mu means "World" in gargish.

gargish

15. Amathist

Amathist Guest

aaah so it's possible Tokuno is named because of sommething to do with the virtues....although that to me would apply more to Ilishenar.

Any suggestions as to why Tokuno may be named as the place of virtue?

16. Amathist

Amathist Guest

Sabbath posted this on The Lost Lands for me...

What I now need to find out is in why in ultima 1 it was called this or why they would call it the of virtue....its the folk lore I am after the most.

17. Amathist

Amathist Guest

any chance the dev's want to get in on this one?