1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Why loose ingots when smelting at 105 skill?

Discussion in 'UO Craftsman' started by Arrgh, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Arrgh

Arrgh Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Afaik this is the only skill ingame that will "screw" you over time and time again. It's already hard enough to find val, verite and agapite ore. I know not many people care to use these ores anymore and I am so sick of breaking all my high level ores into stacks of "1" and take half an hour to smelt everything so I don't lose time I have invested. I'm sure there are some hardcore fools out there that just absolutely love this about mining but tbh I find this so annoying I can't understand nor stand it any longer.

Is there anyway to make this less tedious, less frustrating and more rewarding for the time I "waste" finding this mess?

kRUXCg7 likes this.
  2. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Moved from Bug tracking because it's not actually a 'bug'.
    Answers to your question.
    There are 4 quests which allow lower level metals to be converted to higher ones
    There are also several items obtainable for Void Pool reward points from Vela the Sorceress which help in the locating and smelting of high end ores.

3. Gorbs

Gorbs Sage
    Stratics Veteran

It would be nice to have a comment on what the design decisions were for this. My assumption is that when colored ores were introduced they wanted to make valorite armor rare so it would be a status symbol. Remember, we didn't have trammel or insurance back then. When they introduced AoS and the item property-centric gameplay they may never have gone back to consider if there should be a change to the smelting of valorite since material impacted properties.

4. Arrgh

Arrgh Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Thanks for the links! About the rewards to help smelting...we shouldn't even need anything to guarantee success if other gathering skills are 100% guaranteed. As far as the 4 quests go, if we can use those for ore, shouldn't we have some for wood as well or do we? I missed some content apparently while I was "away" the last time.

5. Percivalgoh

Stratics Veteran

I like loose ingots but hate to lose ingots. ;) As one who has been mining before there were colored ore and ingots, I don't really have a problem with it. Maybe that I have 25 k valorite ingots sitting around make me care even less but before I got lucky in IDOC and found the ingots I really didn't have much of a problem with it. Just hate it when I fail repeatedly but then just as often I don't fail repeatedly. Now I just need to find 25 k of dull copper ingots and I will be completely happy.

#5 Percivalgoh, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
    Arrgh likes this.
  6. kRUXCg7

kRUXCg7 Sage

The very same question bugs me a lot, too. So let me thank you: Your answers are very precise and helpful. If only... I mean... last time I checked you needed to farm ~ 2 million hours to get enough reward points for one single such item. :)

My suggestion would be to make it less tedious to smelt ore-by-ore. Maybe introduce a smelt bag similar to that blue bag for smith-smelting/tailor-unravelling. With the necessity to smelt ore-by-ore unattended script-miners seem to have maybe the biggest advantage over us, I assume. An alternative could be a system similar to current craft working menus which allow you to enter "MAX" or any number of items to be crafted. The window blinks lots of times and it wouldn't even save time, but it would save huge headaches and insane amounts of wrist pain.

Arrgh likes this.
  7. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Here's an excerpt from the Mining FAQ on this

8. Arrgh

Arrgh Sage
    Stratics Veteran

I'm pretty sure not a single developer has even seen this post...which was my intentional motivation in the first place. Hopefully Petra asked them this. If so, I have not heard of any solutions.

kRUXCg7 likes this.
  9. Arrgh

Arrgh Sage
    Stratics Veteran

...then I want 250% mining skill. :gee:

kRUXCg7 likes this.
  10. Tazar

Tazar Guest

Actually - mining is not the only resource gathering skill to lose quantity when it is converted... Why do you think we end up with only one match-stick from an entire log?

:p (just kidding)

11. Arrgh

Arrgh Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Tazar, you tease...:banana: