1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

(Question) Why Siege?

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Skunk, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Skunk

Skunk Sage
    Stratics Veteran BREW

Just curious what it is that brought you to, and made you stay on Siege? What is it you do on this server? I feel like most people have a reason for being here. I myself needed a change from production servers and look forward to meeting more members of this tight knit community.

Hattori Hanzo likes this.
  2. Sir Morder

Sir Morder Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I've been here from the beginning and for me it was all about the challenge and the thrill of the fight! The excitement of knowing/not knowing when you were gonna be killed. The challenge of training a character to 7x GM and then changing the template to something else LOL thank God for soul stones. Siege had no RoT then and training really sucked. Having a huge population with everything from pk's to rp'rs to noto's to good v. evil. Watching the game evolve along with the people that played here. If you stay here long enough you'll see that Siege has a certain pizazz about it. You can't fail here. Sure you'll die and lose your stuff, but its also damn fun killen that guy that killed you yesterday and gettin even *evil grins*

Skunk, Sprago and Blaeke like this.
  3. Wee Willie

Wee Willie Visitor

PvP.....I'm the bestest PvPer on the shard

Sir Morder and Wolfman like this.
  4. Rieley

Rieley Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Your work (crafting/farming) is worth something in Siege. Gold has meaning, however game play here is not all about who has the most gold. Players interact more due to needing each other since there is only one char per account, you 'feel' real people behind the char's name. I hope Siege doesn't appear too "tight knit", Siege belongs to everyone that makes it their shard. A more populated shard with active players needs all to feel at home in Siege, not just a visitor.

Big welcome to all new Siegers.

Dendra/Raven Ceres

#4 Rieley, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
    Spiffykeen and Sir Morder like this.
  5. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

I moved to Siege the day it was born. At that time, there was perm stat loss for reds on other servers and I saw a lot of my red friends give up, as it's was hard to play, when several deaths made them a red newbie and they had to remake their char all the time. Also recall was a pain, if I tried to RP a little before attacking someone, they would just recall away, the moment they saw my red char.
    Siege was born without stat loss and recall so it was closer t what UO was when I started in 1997.
    Then Trammel was made on old shards and Siege become the only shard for me.

Sir Morder likes this.
  6. Wolfman

Wolfman Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

The challenge of stepping out your front door and lose your best suit.
    No matter what you do, when a red comes running in, adrenaline gets everything flowing....even if the red is dead in a matter of seconds.
    People helping you when you are in trouble, be it getting your suit back or needing a res....

All this and much much more is the reason why I am still playing this game (almost 15 years now), were it not for Siege I would have quit 5 years ago!

Sir Morder likes this.
  7. TheDrAJ

TheDrAJ Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Alpha and Omega

I also have been around since the start and I am not and never will be a pvp killer. I came with a friend and we had no idea that the shard was different than others. I never had much so I never cared when I got killed. Stealth back in those days didn't exist like it does now and I was a champion at running (and still am!).

Sir Morder likes this.
  8. Sam

Sam Adventurer

I came about 2 years ago since shard transfers had messed up every other shard. I am a merchant and needed a stable economy. I also found some of the nicest people on any shard! (well most).

Sir Morder likes this.
  9. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

*smiles* I like this thread.

10. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Challenge is what drew me here when the shard opened. I was a player from the get go, and when tram came along I rapidly started losing interest in playing. People got more greedy about monsters, less communicative, there was no danger, the economy started to go to crap... Not to mention many old time player establishments that were so much fun to hang around died almost immediately because they were in fel.

I started out splitting my time 50/50 Siege and Lake Superior, but after awhile I wasn't having fun with the tram ruleset, and moved to siege 100%.

Community and economy were really what kept me playing here. Oh, and while I'm not anymore, I was big into stealing back in my early days, and tram basically destroyed that element of my gameplay. So that was also a big draw, and thats why I was a thief to start out here.

#10 Uvtha, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  11. Skunk

Skunk Sage
    Stratics Veteran BREW

Well looks like so far most of you are here to better the community and enjoy the game. I have always thought Siege was a crazy pvp, red filled, wasteland. I'm happy to know that I am making a good choice by joining this server.

Lady Tia likes this.
  12. MANSBETH

MANSBETH Seasoned Veteran

OLD STYLE ULTIMA ONLINE!
    Started back when there was no Trammel.
    Getting a house on any shard was very difficult and expensive.
    I wish they never invented Trammel.

13. Tiberius

Tiberius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I came after the first shard wipe. I had only played UO for about 5 months at the time, had halftrained chars on pacific, and a small wood house. I had played long enough to figure out that I was way behind the curve of veterans of the day and the idea of being able to start on a more level playing field ith an opprotunity to place a larger house appealed to me. ROT had ben implemented for all non resource based skills and the idea of getting guaranteed gains appealed to me as well. The thing that kept me here? The early siege community, the fact that you could literally draw territorial claim maps back then, that you knew exactly who that pk was that killed you and where the sob lived:gun:. I came as a complete newb and learned the game from some of the best veteran players in the game. I went from being that bluebie that thought pks ruin this game, to being an anti-pk who appreciated them for the fun they added, to not only being a pk myself but how to be one of those types of pks that made the game fun. I miss the days when you did not need a phd in math to have a workable pvp template; just grab regs, a halberd, a set of leather armour and go at it....

Skunk, Blaeke and Rizarium like this.
  14. Aelfric

Aelfric Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

People have touched on all the good stuff about siege already: The community, no trammel, no recall, being a crafter is actually worth something, your crap is actually worth something because you can still lose it, more exciting because of "non-consensual pvp" (as they are calling it now), not being able to make money off of npc town vendors. These are all the good things.

But I'd like to add that while I was not paying for uo, and before i rejoined, I started playing free servers to remember and, in some cases, discover for the first time what previous eras of the game are like. People are always saying how they miss t2a, or renaissance, or even earlier iterations. There is something to this nostalgia, since earlier versions of the game are better in some ways. But I say that no matter what era of the game you prefer, the best experience is to be found on siege. The ruleset and the community has yet to be duplicated anywhere else, and I doubt it ever will be.

Blaeke, FrejaSP and Skunk like this.
  15. Skunk

Skunk Sage
    Stratics Veteran BREW

I'm am loving what I'm reading. Feels like home already.

16. Skunk

Skunk Sage
    Stratics Veteran BREW

After dying in the brit sewers last night and taking around 30 mins and 5 more deaths to get back to my corpse and get my stuff all I have to say about this shard is...ITS AWESOME! I actually have to try and work for even the easiest tasks, I get to actually play uo again. Amazing.

17. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I came here for a challenge and have stayed for the community here. Have made some great friends on Siege over the years.

Ariana RiverWind likes this.
  18. Leather Lucy

Leather Lucy Seasoned Veteran

I remember Bliss *almost* catching me once in that little tunnel leading into the Underworld thingy via the Tomb of Kings. He ran through me as I was stealthing (so he knew someone was about), I swear I didn't breathe for nearly a minute as I tried so hard not to get caught by him. It was brilliant haha, 41 year old woman, shaking like a leaf, giggling like an idiot. Rascal never caught me either ;).

Lady Tia and kelmo like this.
  19. Lorddog

Lorddog Crazed Zealot

I like the challenge of possibly being pked anytime, anywhere. don't really care for pvp as my reflexes and key punch traiing are squat.

more fun for me jus doing quests, crafting and fighting AI stuff.
    In the old days there was some respect in that if a pker got you they may res you after looting.

20. Skunk

Skunk Sage
    Stratics Veteran BREW

Are there any events here? I can understand it may be hard to do but I'm sure we have an em event now and then right?

21. Luka Melehan

Luka Melehan Certifiable
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Campaign Patron

We have the opportunity to have a great player generated economy. I liked it when PKs made the rounds around the farming spots. I miss that. I keep several sets of armor/jewels and arrows ready to go at all times so when I am killed I can shrug it off, even if I am dry looted. I used to even keep my house public, but I think all my stalkers are gone too. :(

As for events, EM events go alright, but its always a matter of time before the PKs turncoat. Just know its gunna happen. Player ran events depends on the type of event. I had a thanksgiving art contest for orcs only once. We got drunk, showed off our creations and the ran from PKs in and out of what was left of Iantown at the time. I was pretty pleased.

22. Victim of Siege

Victim of Siege Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Safe Haven

*sends the minions to stalk Luka*

23. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Alumni TnT/TnA

I wanted danger, but did not like Fel on Atlantic. So in 2006 I came over to try it and ended up staying.

24. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Crusader of Chaos

Because I haven't played in 5 years and there will still be at least 3 posts below this one saying "Woah! Wulf! Hey everybody, it's Wulf! THE FUTURE FATHER OF MY CHILDREN HAS RETURNED!" Maybe not in those exact words, but it's in the subtext if you know how to read it.

I played Siege because it ****ing matters. When I was a newbie running around barefoot in the woods, taming up 5 timberwolves at a time to go attack the ORC fort, it mattered. They learned my name, and they laughed, and it mattered.
    When I started doing spawns with C8V, I got good at it, and the scrolls we got mattered. When we were attacked, I would defend them, and it mattered. When I disagreed with Uthrac and told him I'm out of the guild and to leave my spawn under penalty of death, it mattered.

I don't think C|C ever had more than 5 members at a time, but we mattered. I could run into any fight, any spawn, anywhere and people would either flee, sure in the knowledge that the embodiment of death itself had appeared before them, or they would rally their forces and come down upon me with the blazing fury of a thousand flaming suns. Every body that fell before me and every single second that I could withstand the unwithstandable odds, they mattered. I mattered to every dead newbie that I would resurrect and outfit in equipment 100x better than I looted off them, and I mattered to every gank squad that thought they'd found an easy target alone.

When I cancelled my account and let my house fall, it mattered.

Don't ask why you should play on Siege. Ask why you should play on any other Shard that just doesn't matter.

25. FrejaSP

Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

Who is Wulf? I don't remember :p

26. Skunk

Skunk Sage
    Stratics Veteran BREW

Wulf, I don't know you...but damn that was an amazing reply. Just based on that response, if I was female, I would let you impregnate me.

27. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

*chuckles* Nice wulf... I miss ya if no one else does.

28. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend

That's an anagram for "Sir! Herb field! Mount me, wow!"

See, it's all about the subtext.
    Siege and I parted ways, but it'll always have a special place in my heart. The doctors say the blockage is unhealthy.

Thanks Kelmo. I knew I could count on you to kick off Topless Remembrance Day*. Now we just have to wait for the others to join in.

*TRD is a registered trademark of Wulfco

#28 Wulf2k, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  29. FrejaSP

No idea what you mean, remember I'm danish. Good to see old names show up here.

30. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend

An anagram is when you rearrange the letters from one sentence and spell something else.

For example:
    Dormitory = Dirty room.

So technically you wrote the sentence, you just had the letters in the wrong order. Ah, anagrams amuse me if nothing else =]

31. andyjacksons

andyjacksons Journeyman

its like turning off god mode and also turns it back into a multiplayer game ie cant solo with ubber equipmengt need team work to play

32. FrejaSP

33. Heavenless

Heavenless Journeyman

Dry looting GIL @ idocs !!

34. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

Well, you canĀ“t do that when not logged in.
    Come back! :)

35. Skunk

Skunk Sage
    Stratics Veteran BREW

The more I play here the more I love it. I got ballsy and jacked a chest from a red the other night, he chased me down, killed me, then let me keep the chest full of stuff. Afterwards we hugged and ate cookies. Wish I came here years ago.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

36. Ariana RiverWind

Ariana RiverWind Journeyman

((OOC)) I've not been here long, but I must say this has been one of the best experiences for me. Most of the people here are great...I really enjoy the role-playing aspect as well. Finally a place were a crafter can be happy! Gold and items are earned not bought/cross sharded tis wonderful! Every Gold piece that you earn goes towards something that you need/want and have alot more love for it because you know that you've earned it! I've been playing so much that i've lost a fully stocked orc ship and its baits to the bottom of the waters on a diff. shard and i'm not even phased about it.. now if i lost it over here on siege well I prob. would have balled my eyes out...That is the difference for me...,
    Ariana RiverWind

kelmo, FrejaSP and Skunk like this.
  37. FrejaSP

I believe Siege is the closest we get to what Lord British aka Richard Garriott tried to build, when he made UO back in 1997, all the other shards failed, as the devs over the years did not see the need to build a community and make all depend of each others, also good and evil.

On Siege, we are all living in same world and fight for what we believe. It gives some drama sometimes and some real reasons to PvP, or fight with weapon you have, that be your voice, choose not to trade with someone until they learn. To be able to fight is not a must here, a lot shop owners can't fight at all.

It all about personality and making you a name here. You are doing great already, we already know you and love you and you made it alone, without help from NEW2.

Interact and RP are working great here and we love our roleplayers. You will see, the way our evil part of the community act vs you will be effected of who you are and what you add to the community. When someone claim, they get killed, rez killed and drylooted a lot here, it may have to do with their personality.

Skunk and Ariana RiverWind like this.
  38. Ariana RiverWind

Ariana RiverWind Journeyman

*Smiles brightly* Was very interesting chatting with you in game very fun I look forward to more incounters. :)...:heart: So glad I came here to set up shop.

FrejaSP and Skunk like this.