1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Why Twitter

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Miss Smoocher, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Miss Smoocher

Miss Smoocher Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

why would i want to use twitter when we have the herald. i mean i wont use twitter when i have the herald and stratics. geezzz give us something else to play with. whats wrong with what we already have. USE what we have DEVs!!! god. okies i will go back in to my own little world nowr.olleyes::link:

2. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

It's hip!
    It's now!
    It's wow!
    And how!

Even schools are using twitter.. soon churches and McDonalds will join in.

3. Miss Smoocher

Miss Smoocher Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Even schools are using twitter.. soon churches and McDonalds will join in.[/QUOTE]

but still why would i use it again when we have our own web pages for finding out info??? :rolleyes:

4. Schuyler Bain

Schuyler Bain Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Not saying I disagree, but I believe someone from Mythic made the comment that it is simply another way to communicate with those that like to tweet. Not everyone reads Stratics (Their Loss) or even the Herald. Twitter is all the rage, but it will pass (I hope). I personally am not a huge fan, but do use it from time-to-time.

I don't know about where you all live but all the local news stations in my area are using Twitter and Facebook and filling a good 5 minutes of nightly air time featuring a "friend." The funny thing to me is that both Twitter and Facebook have been around for more than a few years, yet so many act like they are brand-new. I would even go as far as to say that both are so 2008. :mf_prop:

5. deraiky

deraiky Guest

Argh what movie is this from ? i forgot..

6. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Twitter is easy to check on your cell phone.

7. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

Spider-Man (3 I think, maybe 2)

8. Viquire

Viquire Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

my church is a hundred years old and uses twitter and FB and blogs. Hey no one says you have to go there, but other people ARE their and the first rule of promotion is to go where the folks is!

9. Andy_Mythic

VIP Stratics Veteran

As someone already pointed out in this thread: Twitter and other new social networking mediums like it are simply additional vehicles to drive your messages home. Also, Twitter has several "addons", so to speak, that allow one to track metrics from alternate information delivery methods. Also, it allows us to reach the same audience in different ways, i.e.; through desktop applications like Tweetdeck or similar mobile apps.

UO, like all MMO's, is a social game which means it can greatly benefit from new social media, when leveraged correctly.

10. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Twitter is pretty awesome :)

11. Deaol

Deaol Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

The only people whining about uo/mythic on twitter are the old geezers that still play...

Maybe if enough of you petition they might offer the herald via Double-sideband..

12. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Old geezers??? So what i seem to recall the last poll here about how old everyone was.... there were a great many "old geezers" compared to the young pups...

As for this old Geezer... I refuse to use any of that crap... I don't want to be forced to register for some crap where more people and pester me with useless timewasting BS ... I get enough of the fwd fwd fwd crap in my email that I have to dig through to get to what I give a hoot about..... I don't need facebook or twitter or MySpace taking up my time... I wanna play UO. But I'd like to stay informed... but I already read about 6 or 7 forums I seriously don't need any more crap to have to check all the time... I prefer the ole tried and true like Stratics to keep me up to date.

13. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

I prefer telegram myself.

14. deadite

deadite Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend It's My Birthday

Well honestly, you know that any news is going to make it's way here anyway. So you really don't have to do anything different. :)

15. Lefty

Lefty Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Twitter isn't my favorite medium. I mean how much can you say in 140 characters.

16. Potgut

Potgut Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Once Mythic's 12 day of x-mas give-away thing is over, then i'll go back to checking twitter once every 3 months or so.

Not that i'm some cynical anti-twitter person, it's just simply not my cup of tea. I'm still happy for twitter, innovations such as twitter, facebook, and etc... that help with the spread of information which helps strengthen societies is a good thing.

17. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

nu upd8 2 TC 4 u.Chek out FB or WS 4 nfo.

18. Amren

Amren Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Because Blizzard is on there.

19. Beastmaster

Beastmaster Guest

I would argue this point is incorrect. There are plenty of Uhallers that don't twitter. Therefore it is not the "same" audience.

20. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

Uh, you're assuming every UO player is on UHall? He meant UO players in general, not the elitists such as yourself.

After all, Stratics gets an RSS feed on updates from the herald, not from god.

21. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie

A few months ago there was a post here pancakes that Ea doesn't advertise would you rather them take out ads in the newspaper when was the last time any one read one of those?

22. Beastmaster

Beastmaster Guest

Logic is obviously not your forté.

23. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

Go ahead and enlighten me instead of using a quick insult with no value at all.

I'll even clarify what I said so perhaps you can defend your statement instead of throwing out a cheap comments.

What did you mean by Uhall users are not a part of the same audience as UO players? By audience he meant UO players that check any news source at all, I'm sure some don't. But from those that do.. how are UHall users separate from the general UO audience?

24. Miss Smoocher

Miss Smoocher Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

but is uo herald is named that because its for uo. its not called uo twitter????
    its like calling a 1800 number to find out you need to call a diff number to find out what you want to knwo use the *@$#@#& herald

25. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Knock it off and play nice...

My C.B. radio handle is kelmofo if you ever take updates there...

26. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Oh yeah! Why not Twitter? Any avenue of information is good. It is not like Twitter, Stratics or any other information site has the exclusive here. Trust me, if it is really important news, we will all hear about it sooner or later.

PS I don't tweat. *stares*

27. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie

28. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

My C.B. handle was RacerX...now that's one I haven't used in awhile

*whistles*

29. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie

no followers :sad3: i even sent a tweet out to kelmo.

30. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

I told you. I don't tweet.

Have you folks been checking out the "Ask the Devs Forum?

31. Aroma

Aroma Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Only doin twitting for the contest too. Why isn't ea advertising uo? wow has mr T ad's all over the tube why not uo?? I see all the latest ea titles advetised for all the silly console boxes but no uo.

32. kittykat

kittykat Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

wow also has what, 8, 10 million subscribers? they can afford to pay for an overrated actor and draw mohawks on night elfs...

33. Nok

Nok Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

*palm meets forehead*

A few things here:

1. Twitter is just another communication tool... it's not the devil, unless of course you choose it to be. It's like being mad at some newfangled hammer or screwdriver... or autos, electricity & telephones a hundred years ago. Mythic is using social networking sites (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc. and so on) like every other company out there as TOOLS to communicate with existing players and possibly interest new players (would you like more players in UO?).
    2. You do NOT need a Twitter account to read public tweets (posts), which means its like any other web page unless choose to participate... which is not required. Let me repeat that, you... don't... need... an... account.
    3. All Twitter pages have RSS news feeds, here is the one for [email protected].. http://twitter.com/statuses/user_timeline/94342627.rss Just like the UOHerald.com RSS feed is fed automagically directly to UHall, the same can be done with the [email protected] feed to UHall. It was already included in the UltimaXbar since day one, other UO community sites are jumping on the bandwagon... so you can get the gist of what is going on at [email protected] without having to go to something you don't need an account for anyway.
    4. You're not missing all that much UO specific news anyway. Most of what is tweeted at [email protected] is magically (tools like Splitweet, TweetDeck, etc.) imported to and from UOHerald.com, [email protected], the Mythic YouTube page and so on. There are a few Twitter specific things posted like the 12 Days of Mythic that requires retweeting of tweets... but you don't have or want an account, so don't sweat the details of a promotion intended for all (DAoC/UO/WAR) players who happen to have Twitter accounts. Before anyone get all twisted up over that concept... remember Mythic did specific UO community site contests for SA codes a few months ago here on UO Stratics, Ultimate Online Forums, and others; so nothing new there.
    5. Is all this just too overwhelming to bookmark and keep track of? Use the UltimaXbar then, that's what is for... EVERY thing UO (sites, news, radio, search, etc.) in one easy toolbar. UO Herald, UO Stratics, UO Forums, UOGuide, The Lost Lands, the biggest guilds, links to most sites in the UO community, and RSS news feeds to all this... stuff... delivered straight to your browser. Don't use toolbars, that's okay thousands do... players use it, community pubs use it, devs use it. UltimaXbar just had it's 4th anniversary and is established, it's not new.
    Well said point.

+1. :p

*goes back to link validating for GameXbars grumbling something indiscernible*

34. I can see peoples points here why do you need yet another thing to go read. I have a twitter acct and on various occasions have gone there to read something but saying that, I dont tweet. I think now so many people use their cellphones as mobile computers and someone said you can follow it with your cellphone. That is another concept I am not into, having a cellphone that is like a puter, well saying that I work from home so i dont even need a cellphone, LOL
    Also many many people access things like twitter and fb from work( When they should be working, LOL ) guess that makes it easier too then maybe hassling with forums ect.

35. Lefty

Lefty Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

ROFL!!!!

36. Hunters' Moon

Hunters' Moon Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

...and can put their game discs on the shelves at the "big box marts" in the US.I wish EA/Mythic would do the same with UO.

37. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

rofl :) uh huh! ...

But seriously, 140 characters is well enough! How many times do you read a title of a thread on Stratics and automatically decide you aren't going to read the thread based soley on the title? Today's news is all about headlines, tinyurls for more information, and getting that information out there faster through intuitive forwarding (Retweets!).

Okay, so who will join Nok and me, eh? Seems as if there are not many for Twitter, haha ;). And for the baby boomers, Oprah uses Twitter, so does Blondie, George Stephanopoulos, and Elizabeth Taylor to name a few. Peer pressure!!!

38. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

OMG Didn't think anyone used these anymore.
    "Toyman" by day and "The Perverted One" after hours. Still have my Cobra 23ch installed (with a 300W kicker) in my motorhome. LOL

39. Viquire

Viquire Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Nok rides a big white horse and has an even bigger white hat. And he's from Cali even, who knew?

40. Odin of LS

Odin of LS Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

This or Pony Express perhaps? :danceb:

41. AirmidCecht

AirmidCecht twitch.tv/airmid
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I'm curious how another form of (FREE) Advertisement for UO is wrong. It is not one more thing to read, it's all the same info provided in different formats to cater to whatever venue will reach as many players as possible. The promotional event going on through twitter right now is to draw attention to it, so maybe we need to relaaaax a bit and decide for ourselves what works best for us without judging what works best for someone else.

42. Lynk

Lynk Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I'll just respond to the title of the thread and ignore the posts.

Q: Why Twitter?
    A: Because people are so ****ing narcissistic that they think that everyone and anyone cares what they are doing, what they are thinking, and what they are thinking about doing. The fact is no one cares. Nobody is special. Everyone is average.

43. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

Finally...thank you.

44. Schuyler Bain

Schuyler Bain Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I guess I am confused... is this a thread about the usefulness of Twitter in general or why UO/Mythic is choosing to add it to their existing lineup of communication? Two totally different questions and while I agree with a number of the replies about Twitter in general I can't understand how adding an additional method of communication is a bad thing. I have a twitter account and I am following Mythic and UO, but I have yet to read one tweet from either or anyone else for that matter because I personally am not a big user of the service.

"An it harm none, do what thou will."

45. Saphireena

Saphireena Lore Keeper

From the player's perspective: You hear about things first on Twitter. It's just a very convenient way to have any current issues reported right at your doorstep versus having to visit many various sites to gather info about this or that. If there is something newsworthy, it'll be on Twitter faster than you can blink an eye. In UO's case, it depends of course on whether they will report stuff to us actively or not.

From Mythic's perspective: Providing their twitterized player's with what they need, but also spreading news about UO as those players retweet the stuff they send out, or discuss UO amongst themselves, arousing interest and curiosity amongst those following their tweets. One of the best tools for viral marketing.

46. Fink

Fink Guest

my CB handle was Yahoo.. I ought to sue those guys.

47. Calis M^N

Calis M^N Guest

i just signed up to the twitter rubbish to see what its all about.. very little uo stuff right now.. i guess most people forget mythic is about other games too and maybe they see it a better thing for those games....