1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Why would a 15 Years Vet pick a Garden Shed over a Shard Shield ?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by popps, Nov 17, 2012.

1. popps

popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Value wise, aren't Shard Shields worth a lot more than Garden Sheds over time considering that they produce a token every month, indefinitively ?

So, even if a 15th Year Veteran wanted a Garden Shed, why would they give up the chance to claim another much wanted Shard Shield to instead pick a Garden Shed ?

Bottom line is, ain't it much, but much better to claim a Shard Shield over a Garden Shed ?

This means, perhaps, that we won't see much Garden Sheds around unless their value is so much high to motivate 15 Years Veterans to pick them over Shard Shields ?

So the question becomes, "if" a Shard Shield was transferable, what would be its value ?
    Perhaps 500/600 millions ? More ? It gives 12 transfer tokens per Year and that means money saved up even with the limitations of Shard Shields.....

Whatever would this value be, then I guess this could the value that Garden Sheds will have in order to have 15 Years Veterans want to pick Garden Sheds over Shard Shields.

#1 popps, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
    Lord Frodo likes this.
  2. SoulWeaver

SoulWeaver King of The Bearded Ladies
    Stratics Veteran

Hey boss, Why in the world is this in the trade thread ? Shouldn't this go to UHall?

3. mbraud4

mbraud4 Sage
    Stratics Veteran

:bowdown:

4. popps

popps Always Present

Perhaps because it is a discussion about values and potential trading interest of a given item ?

#4 popps, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  5. Thunderz

Thunderz Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

as i posted before in another thread mt bro got offered 5 xfer tokens ~200mill to pick a shed as that basically what he would have to spend on xfers, even though he would be unlikely to even need 12 xfer tokens to say sonoma a year after he has all the shards that are worth getting.

Thunderz

6. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

FYI Not all players want to go shard hopping all over the place.

LordDrago, Rhiannon, Zosimus and 4 others like this.
  7. Vor

Vor Grand Inquisitor

What Petra said. What you want isn't necessarily what other 15 year old players want.

That said, I think they'd have been better selling the sheds in the origin store. Plenty of people would have bought them. But they didn't, so I'll just have to wait 6 years on my second account and 8 years for my main :)

#7 Vor, Nov 18, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
    G.v.P likes this.
  8. Ron Silverbeard

Ron Silverbeard Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

hmmmm... a 15 year vet could sell you his pick and you make him coowner and he place it in your house and set security to coowners would this work so a non 15 vet in his own house could use it just asking

9. Kojak

Kojak Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I don't transfer shards at all and I'm always out of space - the garden shed is infinitely more valuable to me than a shard transfer shield so there's one person your theory doesn't apply to - I'm willing to bet there are plenty of others too :)

10. UOMarissa

UOMarissa Journeyman

I have 3 transfer shields and when my 6 months is up, I will be choosing the Garden Shed. Still not sure if I will pick one or two!!

Rhiannon likes this.
  11. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

One word: Preference.

That being said, I do think it would have been better to add the shed to the game store and sold as a token.

Leather Lucy likes this.
  12. startle

startle Siege... Where the fun begins.
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Gilfane

Occasionally "shard hop", but not that much.... And since I seem to be forever running out of space - in homes that should by all rights contain more than sufficient lockdowns - and, since I really appreciate the "art" of the shed, I'm pretty sure I'll be getting one of those over the xfer token every month....

Ok, that was my initial reaction - like 30 seconds ago - but hang on, since I'm already here with fingers poised over the keyboard, let think out loud here a sec'....

I play (actively) 4 accounts - 1 of which is approaching 15 (the other 3 being almost a year away) - so I have to consider the possibility of someone on some distant shard deciding to give up his "Shed" for a reasonable price. So here's why I might consider the xfer token primarily as a means by which to obtain more than one Shed:

My 15 year account (well, almost 15 ) is in the process of "re-decorating" his "estate", and is moving away from a very large single structure with way too many bulky (but ever so lavish chests) and other big items that just seem a bit ostentatious now-a-days. And as a homeowner for all of those 14-15 years, I've come to appreciate my ability, should I choose to use it, to re-make a place to live where the main focus is not the structure. So, I'll be tearing down my 18x18 in the near future, and replacing it with an oasis of Apple, Peach, and Cherry trees - a fountain, a creek and pond - a rustic bench to await the weary traveler.... I'm thinking of having a couple of Stewards hangin' around to hand out stuff that only a new player would view as precious... Maybe even a colorfull parrot or two to keep you company (after all, they are the perfect companion for whoever happens upon them - If you want peace and quiet, then simply don't talk to yourself out loud... If you require company that will virtually never disagree with you, then just sit around and chat (out loud) to yourself).

Of course, there'll be at least 1 Garden Shed (with space for more) and a modest 1-story virtually engulfed in vines and flowers (my wife has expressed what she describes as "a serious desire" for just exactly this - or she says that she may have to reconsider accompanying me on a few of my - never destined to be the subject of any serious folk tale - jaunts).

So I guess this just "ain't a done deal", by any means... I'm going to sit down in the morning and explain exactly what I just said to you - to her... And then, she's going to decide....

I love my job !

#12 startle, Nov 18, 2012
    Rhiannon likes this.
  13. Blood Ghoul

It is a nice item. I'd figure if a player has a couple Shard Shields they may lean towards the shed.

14. weins201

weins201 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

:loser:

:scholar: Um sorry there Boss but the shard shields cannot, and will not be, traded and their tokens cannot either so you point is once again Mute. :arr: Sad that you answer you own question in your own post.

15. startle

You just had to say that out loud didn't you?

16. startle

I may not have made myself clear, or I may not be understanding what you're saying....
    I'm not interested in trading the shard shields at all. I'm thinking about using them as a means to potentially transfer a Shed deed across shards. (Shed/Shard/Shield... it does get confusing doesn't it).

#16 startle, Nov 18, 2012
    Leather Lucy likes this.
  17. weins201

weins201 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

That was Popps post not your, so there was not anything for you to understand.

#17 weins201, Nov 18, 2012
  18. Manticore

Manticore Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I saved my reward picks to the best of my abilities over the years until I couldn't help it any longer when i hit my 14th year. So I claimed all 13 picks on shard transfer tokens (all US and European shards). Best decision I've made!!! Now once a month I can claim 13 tokens and move things around, rebuilt gears for my chars and move rares. If I had to buy tokens at 70 mil a pop now would cost me nearly a billion gp to do this once per month.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  19. Crysta

Crysta Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

When I get to 15 i'd love to get the shed, but my problem with it is how big it is. My house tends to be rather stuffed as is, and I doubt i'd have the physical space to put one up, even if I could benefit from the extra storage space.

20. Xalan Dementia

Xalan Dementia Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

so your saying why would a vet player take a deco/storage addon reward over a highway robbery dispenser? well some vets dont play this game to buy out a shard of good items and take them to another shard to raise the price. some vets play multiple shards and like the tokens, some vets prefer house storage and/or deco type rewards.

Besides, did you really expect them to go over the top every year with new vet rewards? granted there may be fewer and fewer max age vets able to claim the newer rewards, but if they had to top the xfer shield this year, then next year top that item, etc.

in my opinion, the shard shield is nice but can alter prices etc of other items, therefore affecting the rest of us, The shed, well unless someone builds one without a permit from King Blackthorn, it shouldnt affect any other players.

just my thoughts on the subject

21. Warpig Inc

Warpig Inc Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

The shed should of had one container free space per two years of the account age that owns the house it is in. One shed per house.

Shields take up two picks to go anyplace you would need to go. And another for any other shard. The shield generation rate with the ability at deed placement you can pick the shard it represents. This would of made the picks used more a value to those that need to travel rarely.

#21 Warpig Inc, Nov 18, 2012
  22. Kojak

Kojak Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

manticore picking shard transfer shields - I'm shocked ... shocked I say - I would have never figured that - hehe

Lord Frodo likes this.
  23. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

15th Shed 250 extra Items It would take 2 of these to equal a %20 increase for an 18x18, 4 of them for a Castle.
    8th Davies' Locker (BOOD Book 500 bods = 100 items) 400 extra Item Space 1 of these just about equals a %20 storage, 2 for a Castle.
    %20 storage increase $20
    Xfer Token $20
    14th Shard Shield For shard hoppers and collectors this item saves them $40 a month.

Now you tell me where the real value is
    IMHO Shard Shields and Davies' Lockers.

#23 Lord Frodo, Nov 18, 2012
  24. claudia-fjp

claudia-fjp Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

If you fill a castle with sheds and have the 60% storage that's like 17,500 items you can horde! Downside is you need house teleporters to get around to each one...

25. Gidge

Gidge Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend BoE

Because not all 15 year vets are looking to make a fast buck off of a gift.
    Not everyone travels to different shards. And if I ever do... what shard should I avo... I mean what shard do you play on?

26. syndael

syndael Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

I'm about to pick the garden shed myself. I started playing on LS when I first got into UO and I have no reason or want to leave the shard or " shard jump " like a bunch of people I see come and go. I see the shard shield as a complete wast of a vet reward, for those who garden or play UO just to deco or sell plants on vendors its a great tool to have.
    Now if you are into changing your shard every month ( I myself cant see why anyone would do that ) then the shield is for them.

27. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Sorry but you would need to buy everybodies Sheds to do this and the cost would not be worth it. I just did a value wise post and the 8th reward gives more space then the 15th (SAD), now if the 15th gave 1000 more space (not 250) then it might be worth the pick.

28. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

Shard shields mean absolutely nothing to me. Not big on the shed either. I'm looking at the metallic dye tubs and the Locker for SOS storage. After that it's back to ore carts and sheep for me (although that might take some structural rearrangement of my houses to hold them).

29. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Those are 2 choices IMHO are worth picking also. The 15th if it were a lesser yr might be worth it. I have a few Shard Shields and they are used to get items I need for my game play and I try to bring items back that are need for the shard at a resonable cost.

30. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

I've always been against the concept of porting items from one shard to another. If I were the dev that worked on Shard Xferring, it would have been character with stats and skills only, then give them the starting allotment of items based on three of the top skills. The biggest issues for me have been seeing items stripped from one shard to sell on another (ESPECIALLY shard-specific items), and then the massive duping that was caused by early shard xferring. If I want to visit another shard, I'll *gasp!* create a character there.

The shed just seems too big of an addon and doesn't really fit either of my houses' motifs. But then by the same token I'm not hurting that much for storage either. Emptied most of it out with the Cleanup system, and the rest consolidated thanks to the EC's grid view meaning I don't have to have bags in bags in bags in bags just to keep everything separate. The only "space" issue I'm having is physical/tile space issues in putting in more carts!

31. Poo

Poo The Grandest of the PooBah’s
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor 4H

as much as it pains me to say this im actually agreeing with Popps!
    hehehe

but i can totally see both sides of this coin.
    but for me the shard shields are what i need.
    i have houses on like 5 other shards (not including siege) so for me they help me to link my resources and shuffle gear around where its needed, or move that uber item from a shard i dont need it to the my main shard.

what would i gain from a garden shed when i have 2 castles already on my home shard? granted i think it would look hella cool in the courtyard of my castle....

but im a shard shield fella.
    its funny too, cause we have been having this discussion in our guilds TS for the last week or so.

at the end of the day this is a spoon or fork dilemma.
    and we all know who wins that fight..... the spork!

Lord Frodo likes this.
  32. weins201

weins201 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

you all really don't see the problem, the post is designed around the possibility of the shard shields being sell-able. But since they are only usable by the account they are claimed on they are WORTHLESS, and therefor so was the premise of this post.

Now if you want to just talk about who would pick one over the other well that is a personal choice, storage over the ability to move across shards.

But seriously read the OP and stay on point, which there is NONE since one has 0 value.

33. Goodmann

Goodmann Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I picked 10 Garden sheds that's 2500 storage. Moved deeds to another account and closed that account. The storage helps me close yet another account. So the sheds have saved me sub fees x2 per month ;).

34. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Are we going to need to start a UO version of Hoarder's: Buried Alive? :p

Lord Frodo and syndael like this.
  35. Poo

Poo The Grandest of the PooBah’s
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor 4H

if your up to it, come visit my tram side castle on sonoma.
    guaranteed to lag your right out of game!

36. Flutter

Flutter Always Present

Because people pick what suits them best?
    Why is this thread even here?
    It's like WHY WOULD ANYONE PICK AN ETHY BEETLE WHEN THEY ALREADY HAVE AN ETHY HORSE?!?!?! OMG WHYYYYYYYYYYYY

startle and LordDrago like this.
  37. Assia Penryn

Assia Penryn The Sleeping Dragon
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I will probably pick another couple shard tokens because I use them regularly and enjoy doing so. I only have an 18x18, but I'm okay on space for the most part. If I wasn't okay, I'd get a keep or castle but FOR ME ... my 18x18 location > than a castle/keep

However, I give props to the devs to coming up with a vet reward that I think is respectable for the vet age. *bows*. The shed idea is well done.

38. Larisa

Larisa Reporting Manager
    Editor Reporter Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Editor Fallen Lords

I always wondered that! Seriously....

:gun:

I personally am very upset that I'm not old enough to get the shed....I LOVE the garden shed..it's ADORABLE! I want one SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad...*sighs*

39. claudia-fjp

claudia-fjp Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

See, Goodman's already a quarter of the way there, and that didn't take long. The 8th only holds maps/mibs so its not even the same thing. There's something to be said about holding 2 1/3 castles worth of stuff on 1 account. Besides after you already have the shields you want what else is there to get?

40. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox

Because that's what they wanted most.
    Can I voice a pet hate? I hate it when some people reduce absolutely everything down to 'what is it worth?'. I don't pick vet rewards based on what I can sell them for. I pick them because those are the items I want for myself, and if there's nothing I particularly want, I'll just save the picks and see what comes out next year.
    I have absolutely zero interest in statues, but I will be getting 2 map tables - one on each shard I play, and when the account is old enough next summer, the same number of sheds.

#40 Petra Fyde, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
    startle, Sean and Viper09 like this.
  41. popps

popps Always Present

I may be wrong, but from my understanding, the Garden Shed when picked comes as a deed, and the deed, I seem to understand, can be put in a trade window with another player.
    Therefore, is my understanding, a player whose account is 15 Years of active age can place the Garden Shed even if picked by another player.

Since the thread is about 15 Years Veteran players who can place Garden Sheds but want to pick Shard Shields (which are account bound) rather then Garden Sheds and therefore "might" be interested in "buying" Garden Sheds rather than picking them on their own (i.e. save their Veteran picks for Shard Shields and use gold to get Garden Sheds they may want), I saw some interest in the discussion about the pricing of Garden Sheds picked over Shard Shields.

That Shard Shields cannot be traded, is not much relevant to the discussion it was only an example I made to better give a value to Shard Shields over Garden Sheds.
    That is, if a 15 Years Veteran has to make a choice whether to pick a Shard Shield OR a Garden Shed, in order to make up one's own mind it would help to make a reasonable judgement about how much could Shard Shields be worth and that value, is my point, should be what Garden Sheds would be worth when picked over Shard Shields.

#41 popps, Nov 19, 2012
  42. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Didn't have to, no. But it was my preference ;)

43. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Then why not simply start a thread asking for the price value of a garden shed?

#43 Viper09, Nov 19, 2012
  44. outcry

outcry Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Sadly I would be on the top of the list for that

45. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie

I've never hopped a shard either..

46. Pawain

Pawain Crazed Zealot

Im confused. I have neither item. If the transfer tokens can not be sold and if you never use them, what is the value that popps mentions? That would just be 12 more items to store?

The shed is too big for me to use. So, if you dont use tranfer tokens and you dont need more storage space it sounds like the ethy beetle would make a great companion for the ethy horse.

As far as "value" it sounds like you can sell the shed but you cant sell the tokens. hmmm

Maybe the thread is a what if you could trade both items, and which would have the most value.

Very confusing, maybe this should have been a poll.

47. Gidge

Gidge Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend BoE

So in your mind, everyone should pick the shield due to it's value. If everyone picked the shield, there would be no sheds due to everyone's greed.

[​IMG]

48. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

The best vet reward is still year one.

Victim of Siege likes this.
  49. KLOMP

KLOMP Sage

If no one picks the shed it will be rare.
    If it is rare it will become valuable.
    If it becomes valuable, people will pick it.

50. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Don't matter to me I have 2 years to mull it over anyway. By the time I am at 15 years I will more than likely have all the shard shields I might possibly need.