1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

    In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

    Dismiss Notice

Why would a smith with 209 smithing lose points on a repair?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by ACB1961, Aug 15, 2009.

  1. ACB1961

    ACB1961 Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2008
    Messages:
    989
    Likes Received:
    7
    Seriously, why would a smith with 120 smithing, +29-30 talisman, +60 ancient smithing hammer lose points repairing an item? Answer is we never would. I can understand losing a point on a repair over 100 pts. I really can't actually, but lets pretend like I can for the sake of argument.

    You can lose a point on an item that's 30 pts down or less than that at this point. It's plain ridiculous.
     
  2. Arcus

    Arcus Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2004
    Messages:
    6,452
    Likes Received:
    107

    Things wear out. Even the best of the best smith when repairing does damage.

    Things in UO NEED to break.
     
  3. ACB1961

    ACB1961 Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2008
    Messages:
    989
    Likes Received:
    7
    I understand your point. :)

    But, seriously 8-10 times I repair something I lose a point on it. It would never be like that.
     
  4. Conversely, when repairing tinker, carpentry, or bowyer items, the failure rate seems to be exactly the opposite of smithing and tailoring.

    :coco:
     
  5. Silverbird

    Silverbird Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2001
    Messages:
    1,405
    Likes Received:
    52
    Actually you simply repair an item. You dont add additionally material to it. If you are sharpening a sword over and over again, you start to loose from the original mass. The items simply thin out and loose durability.
     
  6. ACB1961

    ACB1961 Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2008
    Messages:
    989
    Likes Received:
    7
    You are absolutely correct. There's no arguing with that.

    Here's the thing though. These are Virtual items. They don't really have metal, or anything else. Here's where that argument comes apart. Powder of Fortification, my best friend in the UO world. I mean it doesn't actually add metal, or wood, or cloth to an item, but still it has more durability. With the original argument something with 255 dur would weigh much more than something with 30 because it would have so much more metal, etc. I mean this is an argument we could never win because they will start adding stuff like extra weight to things, and you know, our lil' virtual arms will get tired.

    Where would it stop, lowering ssi because of the excess weight from the durability, because there's no way in the world you can swing something as fast that weighs 10 times as much no matter how much strength you have.
     
  7. Ailish

    Ailish Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

    Joined:
    May 13, 2008
    Messages:
    1,129
    Likes Received:
    0
    Because that is the way they (The people who run the game) want it. That's all.
     
  8. Actually, adding durability to a sword (for example) is obtained by folding the metal onto itself over and over again (200x or more) at very high temperatures, which forces the molecules of the iron closer together, thus strengthening the metal, as opposed to simply hammering a piece of bar stock flat then sharpening it. PoF merely skips the step of folding the metal and forces the molecules together magically. And there ya go. :thumbsup:
     
  9. Crysta

    Crysta Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

    Joined:
    May 12, 2008
    Messages:
    2,418
    Likes Received:
    73
    And talismans don't increase skill.. they increase success chance on crafting items.
     
  10. Siteswap

    Siteswap Visitor

    Joined:
    May 17, 2009
    Messages:
    573
    Likes Received:
    0
    I think there should ALWAYS be a chance you'll failk at anything in this game. A 1% base chance. Even for instance if you have 120 MAgery thgere should be a 1% chance you'll fizzle even on a 1st level spell. And yes ... a smith with 209 smithing should still have a small chance of failure. Taming is like that ... you can only have a max of 99% control.
     
  11. gjohnson5

    gjohnson5 Guest

    Not really
    Maybe repairs should require some of the source material such as a patch when required
     
  12. gjohnson5

    gjohnson5 Guest


    Agreed...
    However I wish the talismans DID increase the enhancement chance.
     
  13. 180 is the highest you can have in smithing, and that's with the +60 hammer. Talismans don't add to skill points, only success chance.
     
  14. ACB1961

    ACB1961 Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2008
    Messages:
    989
    Likes Received:
    7
    Wow I did not know that.

    Thank you so much for that incredibly helpful bit of info.

    You know no matter how long we play, or how much we try to learn there will always be something that we just don't know.
     
  15. ACB1961

    ACB1961 Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2008
    Messages:
    989
    Likes Received:
    7
    Let me back up on what I just said. It says plainly here Smithing Bonus. If I have 180 smithing for sure, and I get 29 smithing bonus what else could it mean. I mean I've been looking at everything I've ever seen posted. Where would someone derive the idea that it doesn't add to your overall smithing since it clearly say Smithing Bonus on it...

    And either way we're talking about success here. (Successfully repairing an item) It absolutely adds to successfully making things so how do you know it doesn't add to repair success?
     
  16. It adds to your success chance to craft an item. It's not skill points. Using tongs or another smithing tool, look at your chance to make an exceptional plate tunic without a talisman equipped. Take note of that number, then close the gump and equip the talisman. You'll see that your success chance has gone up by the value on the talisman.


    I didn't say it did or did not add to repair success, however I'm pretty sure it doesn't. The talismans are designed to add to the success of making things, not repairing them without losing durability.
     
  17. This is what I like, and miss by not playing UO.
    Items breaking while attempting repair, items dropping points after repair. Unlike other MMORPGs where everything gets repaired 100 precent.
     
  18. Setnaffa

    Setnaffa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2004
    Messages:
    1,537
    Likes Received:
    0
    The more damaged a weapon or piece of armor is, the higher the chance you will lose durability when you repair it.

    There is a formula somewhere...out there....hiding...that shows the chance of repairing an item without losing durability. It takes into account the amount of damage to the item and the skill level of the craftsman. By the time a weapon has lost something like half its durability, you have no chance of repairing it without losing a point of overall durability.

    Next time, try repairing an item with only 10 or 20 points of damage. You might not lose any durability.