1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

why ?

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by UncleSham, Dec 6, 2009.

1. UncleSham

UncleSham Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

why did *some people* have to go and disrupt the newbie event ?
    don't you get it ? if you keep driving off newbies we wont have anyone coming over . in case you haven't figured it out , that's less targets for you to attack in the future.

even em quantum expressed his exasperation with the whole thing . you going to drive off our em too ?

no the guy doesnt play siege . they cant as a rule . ea doesn't want local people in charge due to conflict of interest issues . (showing favoritism to friends)

give the poor guy a break . he had limited areas to go to due to the guard zones being down. he doesnt like that idea any more than we do but he said there is little he can do other than page a gm like us.

hes still going to try again next month . please for all our sakes cut the newbies some slack . that is unless you are happy with the same 20 some poeple we have actively playing . strange how quickly you seem to come out when there are newbies or crafters to gank.

maybe all you want to do is street fight . fine , but you have to realize you need crafters to supply your potions smoke bombs etc . you need farmers to come up with totem of the voids and such . if you keep driving these poeple away , its going to affect hard core pvpers eventually... when the supplies run out.

2. Diablo FTW

Diablo FTW Visitor

At the end i hear tnt killed NEW.. Stardust told me. And i didnt camed back in because of the ganking

3. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

This type of behavior wasn't an issue about 8 months ago. . .

4. RedDaTeef

RedDaTeef Guest

I think those hormones are finally kicking in...

5. OldAsTheHills

OldAsTheHills Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Why?
    Because the behavior is : If I can do it then I will.
    Because EM Quantum is someone outside of Siege Perilous, a strange trying to
    create events, this creates envy.
    Because there is this struggle over who controls the game on the shard.
    ... their are those who will not give up their control over other players fun.

*stares*
    Yahaxithonix

6. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

It's convenient that the pkers showed up at just the right time.

7. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

UncleSham - The disrespectful tone of your eye roll-inducing post is uncalled for, but I will respond with my thoughts anyway.

I am going to preface this post by saying I am happy we have an EM and I do appreciate the time and effort he/she is or will be putting into events on our shard.

To begin with, I'm going to call BS about having an EM that doesn't play here. I am happy to have our current EM, but we have had one that plays here before.

Furthermore, GM Quantum is going to have to accept that events will be disrupted and that players are going to fight and players are going to die. Its what we do here, its what happens on Siege and if he doesn't have the stomach for it, holding events on this shard isn't for him. We need an EM that understands the spirit of Siege and one that can and will carry on with the event no matter what is going on around him.

I am having a little difficulty getting behind numerous events that are attempting to draw players here. I feel that if players want to come here they will do so of their own accord... Attempting to continuously draw them here is going to turn a lot of people off. They are either ready to try Siege or not the type. I'll end this concern by saying that I can support a once or maybe even twice a year event of this nature. Any more than that just seems like it will be repulsive to players from other shards and counterproductive to ours.

I will also add that I may be willing to ask my crew to avoid killing NEW or obvious new players at future "Bring Newbies to Siege" type events, but that will not be the case for others. PvP, PKing and creating havoc is what happens on Siege and it doesn't stop for events, weddings, story night, choir practice, pie eating contests, baby showers and the like. If anyone prefers attending events in complete safety, they should attend them on another shard.

All of us were newbies at one point or another and I remember being irked and feeling it wasn't fair to be killed at events myself. Lord how I remember HATING seeing VmP or REV roll up on an event, both official ones and player run events, but I look back at those times with fondness. That sense of danger is what has kept many of us addicted to the Siege way of life and that sense of danger is what our guild [and others] provide.

If it is of any help to our EM, I will be happy to make him/her a runebook of GZ protected towns for new player type events. I just hope our EM understands that GZ's are not 100% safe at all times. Players can be killed there and faction fights can happen there as well. Despite that, we need our EM to continue with the event no matter what happens. With all due respect, it is simply something our EM is going to have to get used to.

Thats my 2 cents.

8. UncleSham

UncleSham Certifiable

yeah i guess the main question is what do you get outa gankin newbies ... nothin much. their pidly treasure ? garbage armor ? it probably costs more in arrows/regs to knock em down than what you get out of it.

i suppose they need a weak target to make them feel strong .

9. shadowdame

shadowdame Guest

really? New? wow tnt impressive... and ya din't even need a house!!! good for you. Oh btw... nice try with the placement tool again... you really are sinkin to some new and exciting lows! BoooooYahhhh. Thanks for bein so squishy... Hugs n kisses ShadowSpawn

10. UncleSham

UncleSham Certifiable

11. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

12. UncleSham

UncleSham Certifiable

the consequenses i speak of are when you've killed the last crafter there wont be anyone to make stuff for you to fight with.

ultimately when you've killed off the last newbie and the shard closes down we all lose .

im no pvp expert . i did what i could by suplying llamas for the newbies to ride and resin poeple .

i even threw my no mana havin , lack of eval butt in the newbie ring to fight.
    :stretcher:
    (i wan by the way... should i feel proud ?)

id rather spend a few hours supporting newbies and helping the shard grow .

yes we need evil . good must have a foe or it gets boring . thanks for filling that role . all im askin is cut the newbies some slack . i think more population would help us both .

13. Calibretto

Calibretto Guest

From what i saw TnT, JSV,KiN,even a few faction people I've never seen got along fine. It was MD causing all the bull****.

14. Diablo FTW

Diablo FTW Visitor

well i tried to make them stop in vent the blue tamer.. you guys keep killing them, and tnt showed up at the end

15. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present

WHOA !!

Big wall of text ...................

Are ye tryin to steal 'my' walls of text, title, on this forum there, missy ???

For ye punishment, you must make this pic into a sig, for me's !
    So there ! Stomps foot ! rolleyes:

[​IMG]

16. Calibretto

Calibretto Guest

No sir. Phat cat killed Davy. Then your blue tamers tried to get fanta.
    Then you came around and started hopping around on screen trying to gank people with Phat cat.

You realised neither TnT nor KiN wanted your antics around the event and that we were gonna gang up on you and not fight each other.

17. UncleSham

UncleSham Certifiable

phantronious struck the first blow . after that it was "well they killed my friend so im gonna ..."

some faction fighting was expected . killing the newbies was uncalled for.

18. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present

Well the EM did say that in the future the EM may need to build a house, where the EM has a bit more control, and probably not in a faction town, or so I heard the EM state.

The more annoying part for me last night was faction ponies fighting each other in the office there ...ie just did not have to be done 'in there'....too much NOISE ! :rant2:

That stuff the EMs do not need per say, as it distracts from whatever they are trying to say/type/or do and there is not really much they can do about all that stuff I guess.

But with planning possibly setting up a house instead of public office maybe the EM can control more in the future.

Although I had to wonder why an EM can not just *take over* other EM placed homes, that prior EMs placed, that clutter the shards and get used for nothing ! :(

19. Diablo FTW

Diablo FTW Visitor

i didnt attacked anybody else, after

20. Diablo FTW

Diablo FTW Visitor

just killing the thief

21. Tiberius

Tiberius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

So let me get this right..

The new players on siege were exposed to a big part of siege..PVP. We can give M-D crap for alot of stuff but crashing an event is not one of them. Quite the contrary, Kudos to them; crashing events has been a longtime siege and pre-tram uo tradition. Diablo attacked me, I ran him off, lost track of the group as I assume the em was moving it all over the place; then I noticed the neb/texas game was turnign into a barnburner so I stopped playing.

I also was not attacked by any other rival faction but having someone crash this thing is great imo; it will attract the kind we need here and weed out the titty babies. Imagine the chaos hat would ensue if JSV were guarding in force and oh say TnT raided in force while M-D and SP! were figthing each other on the fringes. Now you event crasher haters know what to expect and maybe can line up some guards. This is siege pvp happens; and our tea parties tend to get bloody.

These events are a fine idea and they will take thier own form of siege style life as MD showed us last night. Probably would have gotten more turn out if it was not championship week in college football.

22. Tiberius

Tiberius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

So res them up and protect them, get them into a more defensable position and weather the storm. What they experienced was siege; had it went off with no one killing them or anyone else it woulda like a 1000 other trammy tea parties. Sure they got to see some of the bad side of siege; they also probably got to see people who were mortal enemies teamign up to defend the event. How long has it been since someone froma tram shard can say they had to do such? It used to happen all the time on siege. You knwo what guild used to be one of the most frequent party crashers? Shadowclan, probably one of the shards most missed and revered guilds. Period.

23. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present

:) I had to shout 'OHIO STATE' just to get killed once last night !~ :)

24. Tiberius

Tiberius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I imagine Shh was the culprit! he may have even looted him if you were to ask him what bowl game Michigans headed to this year:).

25. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I was thinking this myself...You couldn't throw a bash and not have a few orcs peein in yer bushes...

26. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present

:) I did that on purpose. I was getting bored and I figured if I comically shouted 'ohio state', at 'mr. hates osu' maybe he off me. :)

I just sat there anyhow, I didn't even fire my lil bow and arrows back. He res'd me or someone did anyhow. I just needed something to DO, like DIE, seeings how it was a big football game nite and all and Ohio State sucked this year. Besides corpses were littering the EM hut there, all around me and I was feeling left out, cuz I was still alive. rolleyes:

The TIDE provided an great game to watch last night, though.

27. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

That number UncleSham threw out, 20 players on average, wasn't made up. The devs told the EM that's what our average population is.

Something needs to change.. what's been done so far hasn't worked.

28. The EM would have to plan this out better, beginning with the meeting point. Preparation is the key.

29. Agreed, but with Shadowclan came great dialogue and entertainment not to mention their excellent theme, they had RP to die for. (excuse pun)

30. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

How do you know what the DEV's told the EM?

:stir:

31. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Reality check:

20 might be the average attendance at an event, but it's not the average population for the shard. Just adding up the active players posting here blows that theory out of the water.
    Second. The EM didn't tell anyone the average population of the shard, because he doesn't know. Why doesn't he know? Because Mesanna hasn't told him.

32. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Ok, I wasnt there, so I wont speculate on everything, but here are my feelings on the generic situation.

Newbie events should get a little grace from us. I say a little. I dont think if someone comes in, and kills all the newbs, thats ok, thats siege. Now if someone comes in, kills, dry loots, res kills, and griefs the whole event, this is bad. No one likes getting griefs no matter what. Sure if you play here, and have a rough night of getting PKed etc, you log out, take a break, and come back. These people have nothing tieing them to the shard, they log out, and leave their 50/50/10 skills behind, and dont come back.

With that said, I think these events need to be raided. But maybe as a shard we can agree to make it attractive. So we have some JVS, KIN etc attend as defence (good guilds), then have TnT, and SP! some in, try to kill some newbs while the good guys defend. Show them that PvP happens here, and if they like it, there is no safety. Ya, some newbs get killed, but if they are not killed, dry looted, and res killed over and over, as the group moved. Few will come back.

But it would be good to have a necro come in, and wither everyone, and all hell to break loose over it. Just dont grief them. Kill them a few times, say every other town etc.

33. Kael

Kael Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I find it odd that EA won't announce the membership or revenue totals for UO to anyone but are more than willing to give volunteers the averages of shard population

34. Kael

Kael Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

35. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Id say we average 20 active people at a time. Peak maybe 30 people a night. Gotta remember there are stealthers all around, and that there are miners off in the distance, and out of the lime light

36. UO Monkey

UO Monkey Guest

Seems about right to me, with everyone on Siege playing with multi accounts. I used to run 5 accounts and sometimes 2 or 3 at a time. Today with the break I have been on and burn out on prodo shards I only have one account. Been thinking about playing SP again but with my house on prodo shard it'll be hard.

37. Shh!

Shh! Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Ouch, that hurts :eyes:

38. sayler04

sayler04 Guest

Speaking as one of the newbies that attended the event, I found that I wasn't irritated by the fights breaking out and the interference, etc. Actually, I was hoping to see alot of this while in the relative safety of a large group, which is just how it all played out for me.

What I DID find kind of irritating, though, was how nothing really seemed to HAPPEN in the event. I spent most of it just standing there waiting for clear direction from the em, who seemed pretty pre-occupied with all the extraneous stuff that was happening AROUND the event. I think if quantum had just ignored all the surrounding fights and kept the event moving along it would have been alot more fun.

At least for me, none of it reflected poorly on siege, and certainly hasn't driven me away from giving the shard a try...

39. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

Well, at the Luna meeting he had with the shard a few weeks back he did mention that 20 people was average on Siege. However, if that number comes from a good source or not, I can´t say but he did mention 20 at that meeting...

It went something like this:

EM: How many players do you think are logged in on average on Siege?
    One in the crowd: 20
    EM: That´s right. 20.

Personally, I don´t buy that number...

40. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

Thanks for your input! :thumbup1:

41. Phantroneous

Phantroneous Journeyman

Might i point something out.. The first blow inside of the event area was struck by davy himself... true it is i did kill him but that wasn't inside the councilour hall or any location the Em opened a gate to... it's like me saying that you guys struck the first blow for trying to kill me near your base... which btw is utter nonesense... anyways i didn't kill any new players... nor did i even flag crim... didn't fight anyone mostly i avoided the fighting as i could and even apologized to the Em or tried to [unsure if he heard me] for my presence causing such obvious conflict... i really had no intention of pvping... merely wanted to see what was going on... hadn't been to a siege event so *shrugs* and upon finding out what the thing was about i had been willing to offer advice to the Em as per what could be done... however a simple thing can be done at such things if everyone is so concerned with getting people to come over... stop fighting at or near that councilours hall... let the Em do his thing... because as was said... not everyone enjoys the thrill of death... while i really hope none of what happend has made people not interested here... you never know...

~Hmm a rant i guess... My apologies~

P.S. ~ Please be correct when using my name.. It's Not Phat Cat, and while Pretty Hot And Tempting Cat Sounds nice... It's Phan... Also.. another thing i wish to point out... is it's almost a guarenteed thing that Jsv, KiN, TnT will run against Anyone from M D unless it's only like one of us... And you wish to Kill Them More... I guess you do as you wish according to your mood...

42. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

Eh, why would I lie? And seeing as how multiple people heard him say it last night and a few weeks before at an event, why would he lie?

43. glad I missed that, I've escaped half a dozen attacks while in NEW and they got the adrenaline pumping, so far I see no evidence of NEW having a protected status, maybe it's so damn quiet and they're so bored they can't help themselves.

44. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

NEW offers a lot of protection for the most part, but there are a few people, and a few guilds who dont follow this common courtesy.

45. Bruin

Bruin Guest

46. UncleSham

UncleSham Certifiable

the em said 20 active players on average . he even said yes theres more than 20 on now but that would include peak times as well as off times
    (even if that's off the numbers are dismal)

do we let our numbers dwindle untill one day ea decides we arent worth the trouble ?

as more vets leave for whatever reason our numbers are diminished .we need new blood

like it or not we need newbies .

47. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Exactly, which is why, when that figure was tossed out, I checked. The EM can only guess at the average for the shard. He has not been given that information.

48. Kiwillian

Kiwillian Guest

He said he "asked" and was told it was 20. I have the chat log.

I dunno who told him that though. None of the few people there at that point believed it.

49. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

EMs aren't volunteers, they're paid employees and there's no reason to believe they aren't given some extra information in order to plan events. And while I may not completely believe the number he gave I'd rather take it at face value than to assume I know for a fact what EMs are and aren't told.

50. Vortex

Vortex Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

No, you just ran around like a jerk using dashes, so that no one could read whats going on, real mature. Oh yeah, forgot...:mf_prop: