1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Wierd things happening...

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by lindzschaper, May 31, 2009.

1. lindzschaper

lindzschaper Guest

This is not the first time it has happened to me and this time it's on a different character... I go to log in, just like I normally do, and all of my spells that I have pulled up are gone, my paper doll is closed, my backpack is closed.... it's only my main play screen. What causes this??? It's not a big deal to put them back up, just tedious. Any ideas, advice...?
    Thanks!
    -Lindsey

2. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Let me preface this by saying that nothing I am about to say will help you, so don't get your hopes up! lol

I had that happen to one of my characters a couple months ago. All my game macro's, spell tiles, etc, were gone and no matter what I did to reset everything, they would disappear every single time I logged out. I finally gave up out of frustration. Later that night, I logged in and all the previous settings I had lost, were back. Haven't had a problem since, but I couldn't tell you how any of that happened.

3. lindzschaper

lindzschaper Guest

That's what it's doing! Too wierd!

4. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I had it happen once, when I looked in my folders I found that I'd got 2 folders for the user name, but one had a space in it.

5. lindzschaper

lindzschaper Guest

I have done nothing new that would cause this to happen. In fact, I recently wiped my hard drive a couple months back. So I know there is no duplicate files.... any other suggestions?

6. Lorddog

Lorddog Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

go phyically and look at the folders under uo > desktop
    make sure there is nothing funny there.

7. Rykus

Rykus Guest

I've had similar situations occur in the past. I can't offer you a guaranteed resolution, but I can offer some suggestions that may help, or get you closer to fixing the issue.

If you are running Vista, UO can use the settings in either the C:\Program Files\Ultima Online\Desktop folder (which will be "C:\Program Files (x86)\..." in 64-bit Windows), or in this folder:

C:\users\[YOUR login name]\documents\ea games\ultima online legacy\user data\[YOUR account name]\siege perilous\[YOUR character name]

I don't know what makes it switch back and forth, but I had to end up deleting the one in the Desktop folder to make it stop messing up.

Another thing to check is the Default Desktop setting in the UO options menu. From the Official UO Playguide: Use default desktop - This will enable or disable the new player default desktop.

If all else fails, try making a backup of your "C:\Program Files\Ultima Online\Desktop" folder, then re-install UO. Make sure you delete the "C:\Program Files\Ultima Online" folder, and all contents, after you've done the un-install, before re-installing the game, as many un-install routines often don't clean things up very well.

8. Mr.StinkyPants

Mr.StinkyPants Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

that happens to me if i flip from using kr and 2d

9. nightstalker22

nightstalker22 Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Reasons for aforementioned items going away:

1. Edit house.

2. Drag them around and pull more out of the spellbook, but client crashes, which causes none of those changes to be saved. If you are moving things around and get things how you want them, log out and back in to save the new setup... UO can crash at any moment without warning.

3. Files not properly being cleared from RAM (I assume). I've had this issue too before. I'd log in with one character, then log in with another, and the other characters skill tree was still displaying. Best to close UO and restart it.

4. Logging out while under the effects of incognito or disguse kit. UO will save your settings with the new paper doll name, so when you log back in, it will try to load those settings from the new name, which none have been set up for it, leaving everything blank. Never log out under those effects, or else learn how to go into program files folder and move things around to make it work. ( someone should write a tutorial * stares at Sweeney * )

Be sure to add to this list...I have to go to work and cant think of anymore right now.

10. Critical Gaming

Critical Gaming Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

if you relog under a disguise kit or incognito it will do this too.

11. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

You have duplicate directories. Delete the old Program Files/Ultima... blah/Shard/Name. Users/blah/Ultima..Shard/Name is the new one in use.

This of course assumes you've already checked against disguise kit usage and other former suggestions.